• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

:lmao: and the slight risk is gone. 

I really hate to be one to criticize SPC...but the other day they added a hatched hail area and subsequently removed it. Today they have us in marginal, bump us to slight, and then trim the slight way back again. With more and more people directly consuming SPC outlooks...we can no longer make the excuse of "it's not even for public eyes unless they go looking for it" - this is very public knowledge now. 

They should have just kept us at marginal all the way until confidence was higher. 

Rant over...but this is 2nd time in recent days/weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1730z SPC OTLK for tomorrow... still SLGT risk 

...Mid Atlantic/Ohio and Tennessee Valleys into Ark-La-Tex...
   Along and just south of the weak frontal zone, the boundary-layer
   may be initially impacted by a considerable amount of remnant
   convective outflow.  How the associated outflow boundaries evolve
   through midday Sunday remains unclear, but insolation along and to
   their south likely will contribute to steepening low-level lapse and
   moderate to large CAPE in the presence of seasonably high moisture
   content.  This appears likely to occur beneath a belt of 30-40+ kt
   (perhaps stronger where augmented by prior convection)
   west-southwesterly flow in the 850-500 mb layer, which may prove
   conducive to renewed strong and organizing convective development
   Sunday afternoon and evening.  Isolated supercell structures are
   possible initially, posing a risk for severe hail, before
   potentially damaging wind gusts with evolving clusters becomes the
   more prominent hazard.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1371.html

mcd1371.png

Mesoscale Discussion 1371
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1237 PM CDT Sat Jul 01 2023

Areas affected...northern/central Virginia into portions of Maryland

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch unlikely 

Valid 011737Z - 011930Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...20 percent

SUMMARY...Isolated thunderstorms may produce locally strong gusts
   and hail through the afternoon.

DISCUSSION...Isolated thunderstorms are developing along a surface
   trough near the higher terrain of west-central VA. Low to mid 70s
   surface dewpoints are contributing to 1000-1500 J/kg MLCAPE amid
   modest midlevel lapse rates. Continued heating will result in
   steepening low-level lapse rates the next few hours. Vertical shear
   is expected to remain weak, at or below 20 kt 0-6 km effective bulk
   shear. This will limit longevity/organization of strong updrafts.
   Nevertheless, high PW values and boundary-layer mixing to around 1
   km could support sporadic downbursts. While midlevel lapse rates and
   3-6 km flow will remain weak, large instability from 700-300 mb and
   somewhat elongated hodographs could support a few instances of
   near-1 inch hail. The overall threat is expected to remain marginal,
   and a severe thunderstorm watch is not expected at this time.

..Leitman/Grams.. 07/01/2023

...Please see www.spc.noaa.gov for graphic product...

ATTN...WFO...PHI...AKQ...LWX...RNK...

Sign me up for today's 12Z HRRR.       Round 1 with severe chances later this afternoon, round 2 of noisy storms late tonight, and round 3 with severe chances later tomorrow.

Most of the CAMs are bullish for later today.    While mid-level lapse rates aren't awesome, they're sufficient, and the deep-layer shear is seasonably strong.   Could be a decent coverage of wind reports.    HRRR is an outlier for the late night MCS, so I'll assume for now that it's unlikely.     Shear isn't as strong Monday afternoon, so SVR would be more scattered, but the shear looks to still be sufficient for storm organization.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, high risk said:

Sign me up for today's 12Z HRRR.       Round 1 with severe chances later this afternoon, round 2 of noisy storms late tonight, and round 3 with severe chances later tomorrow.

Most of the CAMs are bullish for later today.    While mid-level lapse rates aren't awesome, they're sufficient, and the deep-layer shear is seasonably strong.   Could be a decent coverage of wind reports.    HRRR is an outlier for the late night MCS, so I'll assume for now that it's unlikely.     Shear isn't as strong Monday afternoon, so SVR would be more scattered, but the shear looks to still be sufficient for storm organization.

I like the UH signature right through the DC Beltway on the 12z NAM nest.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, high risk said:

Not sure at all where we stand here at 20Z, but it's certainly not playing out as progged this morning.    The CAMs looked great for the late afternoon period, but it's not cranking so far.     The recent HRRR runs look awful, but I'm not totally sure to trust them fully, given their poor handle on the low-level moisture evolution.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, high risk said:

Not sure at all where we stand here at 20Z, but it's certainly not playing out as progged this morning.    The CAMs looked great for the late afternoon period, but it's not cranking so far.     The recent HRRR runs look awful, but I'm not totally sure to trust them fully, given their poor handle on the low-level moisture evolution.

Seriously. Not sure what LWX is looking at (or smoking), but they need to adjust fire on their current forecast, at least for SE FfxCo. Sure, I could see several cell(s) potentially popping on radar before and just after sunset, especially since we're clearing out here a lot more right now, but...yeah, radar is a ghost town right now.

6 minutes ago, George BM said:

Showers starting to pop up from a band of agitated cumulus congestus stretching from Manassas to Alexandria.

LOL, good call...maybe a better call than LWX! Seeing that you're describing on radar, and it seems to be heading direct for Alexandia City (just to my north). Interestingly enough, I'm currently observing cumulus, at seemingly different levels, heading in at least three different directions over my patio at the moment...see, I mouthed off about the forecast, ran out and set up the patio/backyard, and I'm probably going to eat my words within the hour.  :D 

• Like 2