Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Short/Medium Range Severe Weather Discussion

Chicago Storm

48 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Joe is one of the best, today looks like one for the L file tho

Surface based instability isn’t as important as 0-1km shear for :twister:IMO.    As long as SBCAPE isn’t zero, slightly elevated instability just north of a weak boundary is enough.  Lots of sun and deep mixing directly overhead creates more CAPE, but it makes the 0-1 km shear more unidirectional too.

• Like 1

Well, that was a surprise. It really was trying to drop tornadoes around.

I was busy today and didn’t really look into it much.

Seemed weird. Initial thoughts walking out/quickly gauging it, reminded me of some cold funnel set up day. With rotations around/some funnels etc.

Came home and saw the velocity scans. Didn’t expect to see some of the videos out in Elgin and the damages in countryside etc

The scan earlier over by countryside seemed one of the better ones. Will be interesting to see some videos from there. 

did any of the hundreds of thousands of people around ohare take photos of the tornado? i keep seeing the same thick funnel with suspect ground contact...

Didn’t have a visual from here at the weather office at ORD.

Rain and haze prevented viewing until the area of interest was moving from Rosemont into Park Ridge. At that point I could see a big ground scrubbing wall cloud. Probably was something under it, but no way could say with confidence given the visibility issues.

2 hours ago, andyhb said:

Easy sig tor in this video.

Yep, glimpsed that one but was a little too far away, too many trees lining the roads. If I wanted that I'd chase in Wisconsin! :lol:

Actual grab instead of phone photo of my camcorder screen. Unfortunately only got a few seconds of usable video. It was also hard to keep up with the storm, despite the warning text saying it was moving at 35 MPH and I was mostly able to keep to main roads at 45-50 MPH and had pretty good luck with the traffic lights, I never seemed to gain any distance on them. Gave up at Bartlett Metra Station. I think the train video I took there is longer than my tornado video will end up being.

This is from Silver Glen Rd. just east of Corron Rd., north of Campton Hills.

MVI_1517.MP4.03_40_08_18.Still001.thumb.jpg.ebd58736a9760848737e2e0b9376faaf.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, IllinoisWedges said:

This is true, ordered a 3x2 a few minutes ago :^)

Great shot, Matt! Jealous. That was a weirdly structured storm. One of the reasons my view wasn't so good was because I kept trying to hug the southern flank where it would periodically look like a hook was trying to form. However the couplet was way off to the north, I assumed it would be buried in rain but it wasn't.