Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco

nj2va

44 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Whoa holllllldup...I'm reading an article that said the first of the 2010 twin blizzards was a Miller B? Huh...

2 storm systems phased together and then a near-stationary UL ridge over maritime provinces of canada prevented it from going NE and instead it moved east. this also made the storm stall off the coast before eventually moving OTS

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Yep February 11th, 1983, that was a fun storm 22" 40-50 mph winds 5–8-foot snow drifts and thunder and lightning!  I think the very next day the big melt off began though.

I ended up with 26-28 inches. Hour after hour of sustained 2-3 inch per hour rates. If memory serves correct most of the snow fell in a 12 hour period  between 5:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Whoa holllllldup...I'm reading an article that said the first of the 2010 twin blizzards was a Miller B? Huh...

lol you seem to have a lot of misconceptions about this. I kinda hate the labels myself, but based on the definitions that are used, we get plenty of snow from miller B/hybrid events.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

lol you seem to have a lot of misconceptions about this. I kinda hate the labels myself, but based on the definitions that are used, we get plenty of snow from miller B/hybrid events.

Yeah you right I do...I think it's just recency bias. During this brutal stretch all the Miller B attempts have flopped...so perhaps my perspective is indeed a bit skewed!

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Kudos to you on the December call that seemed destined for a bust 3 weeks ago. Hope you’re equally prescient for January!

Ironically enough...there was a bit more blocking during December than I had expected, yet we ended up witha little less snow relative to my expectation near the coast.

Strange month...

pros and cons of the event near the 7th:

pros:

we're working with one shortwave here and idk if this is confirmation bias but this winter the common theme has been for shortwaves to trend more and more amped as we get closer. more amped + more neg tilt would let this trailing wave drag more cold air in while also being stronger and more robust meaning snow for many of us

cons:

the antecedent airmass is pretty marginal and the cold air the cutter before drags in is kinda shit because of how marginal everything is. as long as our storm gets stronger though we should (?) be fine

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ji said:

Infuriating that the model rains on us with this map in early January..this is the stuff that psu mentions in this warm cycle we are in 3748aa38aa8cd5e321d443d335b6252b.jpg

Lmao there is barely any precip. Where there is in the mountains with some upslope it's snow as depicted, but due to the fast flow/positively tilted/damping wave, it just dries up east of there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ji said:

Infuriating that the model rains on us with this map in early January..this is the stuff that psu mentions in this warm cycle we are in 3748aa38aa8cd5e321d443d335b6252b.jpg

First I don't trust precip type maps especially at this range still. Also, I think those colder temps bleed in and most precip falls prior thus why the algorithm is showing it as cold rain/wet flakes 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic