• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco

nj2va

Interesting to note, so far the 00z NAM has the center of low pressure farther to the east of 18z runs through hour 57. Much weaker system and a lack of moisture overall, appears to be suppressed as the precip field struggles to get north of the SC/NC line where as 18z the precip field was up to the VA/NC line. Just a few significant trends I'm noticing with tonights 00z NAM.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DE2PA said:

NAM in range 

Exactly. I never use the NAM for the clown maps but rather to look for small changes and track deviations like what I indicated above. During past winter storms the NAM had a habit of sniffing out such things that the globals eventually picked up on in later runs. The NAM model is a tool, like the other models, and has its use. However, most people fail to realize that and only strictly use the NAM to glamour over the clown maps without understanding that the NAM has bias's like the other models.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Terpeast you’re right that the pna ridge a bit too far west and associated WAR is a problem. But the answer isn’t “let’s lose everything else we also need for a snowstorm” like the NAO/AO and Aleutian low. There was more right than wrong with the longwave pattern.  Blowing it all up seems unlikely to result in getting us closer to right. I’d prefer to root for the subtle changes we need in the pna and western Atlantic and not lose the good stuff.  

ETA: the problem with “let’s reshuffle the deck” is there are lots of combinations and like 90% of them don’t work. It’s unlikely any reshuffle results in a better look when you had a decent longwave configuration and just needed a slight adjustment.  

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@Terpeast you’re right that the pna ridge a bit too far west and associated WAR is a problem. But the answer isn’t “let’s lose everything else we also need for a snowstorm” like the NAO/AO and Aleutian low. There was more right than wrong with the longwave pattern.  Blowing it all up seems unlikely to result in getting us closer to right. I’d prefer to root for the subtle changes we need in the pna and western Atlantic and not lose the good stuff.  

ETA: the problem with “let’s reshuffle the deck” is there are lots of combinations and like 90% of them don’t work. It’s unlikely any reshuffle results in a better look when you had a decent longwave configuration and just needed a slight adjustment.  

I don’t remember saying anything to the effect of “losing everything else we need for a snowstorm” just because the pna ridge was too far west. 

In fact, my point was we were so close and all we needed was a slight adjustment on the overall pattern. Shift that ridge east a bit and we might have gotten something. And it’s certainly possible the -NAO might have been too much too strong with the TNH. 

But I wasn’t saying we need to “reshuffle the deck” and start over. As if we had any control over mother nature. She’ll do that for us. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Just for the sake of discussion, since there isn't much else to discuss right now are there any reasonable breaks that we might conceivably get to improve the decent long-wave patter assuming it does reload.  I mean other than reversing decades of excess heat dump into the oceans.

• nj2va changed the title to January 2023 Mid-Long Range Disco
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic