Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

March is the new December. Need to change your mindset. 15 years ago I agree with you....I'm usually getting ready for yard work, fishing, etc. But past decade I've been putting those on hold until after April 7. It isn't just cloud talk, it is a real seasonal change. Not sure the scientific reasoning. Might be a question for a red tagger.

Don't think the shoulder was 100% but its nice to see the cold air blocking in textbook position. 

• Like 1

Euro has the frozen threat(s) as well alongside either a bit earlier than other guidance. Has a coastal next Wed that just misses us to the south then has a follow up lp in the OV with deep CAD with thump to sleet to slot. Looks loaded beyond this period as well wet NAO...PAC help would be good but we can score in March with that look.

• Like 1

OK posters, Do you really want to go on a serious road trip to see some serious snow? Why hell yea, I  say. No snow here in the Philly region. Pack you bags - were going to  Vegas baby where it snowed today and the snow will not even melt away by days end like it does here in the Lehigh Valley.  Damn ridiculous weather pattern we are in, I say. That major weather pattern that these models are pushing out better produce reproducible results in the next 10 days.  In fact Trevor Dane says it the best since the US continues to shoot down "benign" objects out of atmosphere. I really wonder if these benign objects  are weather satellites being used by the GFS and other  models and why all of sudden we are now seeing snow for our area. This movie clip is one of my favorites since it really depicts whats going on in our military right now.  LMAO 

• Weenie 2

Could see a shower this AM with a warm front with sun returning this PM with temps warming to the low 60's in many spots. Rain by tomorrow afternoon and then sharply but briefly colder by Friday afternoon into Saturday.
Records for today: High 75 (1949) / Low 11 below zero (1899) / Precipitation 1.61" (1987) / Snow 13.0" (1958)
image.png.085cece5b49faadeadea627863591d5a.png

2 hours ago, zenmsav6810 said:

Ralph, I'm suprised, do you really think that has a chance of working out?  

Certainly has a chance....all depends dent on what the NAO does imo. That's what will drive our cold air source and overcome the -PNA and SER combo we've been stuck with. Ops may be too quick with the pattern change as always. Most realistic shot(s) likely the waning days of Feb thru St Patty's as being depicted on the ens means 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

I only saw cirrus.  High in Media today 66.6 crazy!  Devil of a winter!

I had some stratus earlier and then some funky Monet-like impressionist clouds that are apparently called asperitas (a new cloud designation as of 2009) - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2009/jun/01/2?picture=348217732

Undulatus-Aspertus-1-2-960x451.jpg

This type (above is an example) were off to the west some time this morning around 9:45ish am.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Don’t forget cloudy days and nights and most nights 8-15 degree above normal lows. 

All the cloudy days are preventing me from giving this winter a F-. It's a solid F and probably the most under-performing/boring winter in my life. As of now it ranks #1. Even a shitty March 3" wet snow slop event won't save it...

57F  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

All the cloudy days are preventing me from giving this winter a F-. It's a solid F and probably the most under-performing/boring winter in my life. As of now it ranks #1. Even a shitty March 3" wet snow slop event won't save it...

57F  

what we gets me pissed is that  1. my daffodils are about to bloom- never seen this in my 35 years living in the LV in mid Feb, 2. tornadoes in Memphis Tn tonight - never seen that  either and 3. the real ass kicker is a foot of snow in Milwaukee Wi yet we get absolutely Jack crap from this system here in PA but a few rain showers and if we are real lucky a quick clap of thunder tomorrow night  LMAO.  This winter really sucks. This lady says it all for us on the lower east side of the country  

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

7 hours ago, Albedoman said:

what we gets me pissed is that  1. my daffodils are about to bloom- never seen this in my 35 years living in the LV in mid Feb, 2. tornadoes in Memphis Tn tonight - never seen that  either and 3. the real ass kicker is a foot of snow in Milwaukee Wi yet we get absolutely Jack crap from this system here in PA but a few rain showers and if we are real lucky a quick clap of thunder tomorrow night  LMAO.  This winter really sucks. This lady says it all for us on the lower east side of the country  

I had texted one of my sisters yesterday about seeing some early forsythia blooming in my neighborhood and how I had a work trip about 20 years ago to San Francisco in February - left Philly in snow boots with the remnants of 8" of snow on the ground and got there to find temps in the 60s during the day and 40s at night (only needed a sweater). They had tulips blooming at their annual "Tulipmania" Festival at Pier 39 (didn't even know that was a "thing") and this was near the end of February (apparently considered a bit "early" back then but now they have pushed the festival earlier and earlier over the years since).  This was an article from the year that I was there - https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Tulips-spring-to-life-early-this-year-Pier-39-s-2631698.php

I know that England also gets those early bulb blooms as a matter of course for their Gulf Stream climate.

Am currently mostly cloudy about a half hour before sunrise and am at my low of 49 at the moment with dp 42.  The winds have gone calm so may drop a few more degrees.

13 hours ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Don’t forget cloudy days and nights and most nights 8-15 degree above normal lows. 

This is the more impressive/depressive side of this winter.

12 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I had some stratus earlier and then some funky Monet-like impressionist clouds that are apparently called asperitas (a new cloud designation as of 2009) - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2009/jun/01/2?picture=348217732

Undulatus-Aspertus-1-2-960x451.jpg

This type (above is an example) were off to the west some time this morning around 9:45ish am.

This is a rare cloud type called an Asperitas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperitas_(cloud)