joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

ECM day 10 looks nothing like the GFS..on to March

60's in Indiana to PA when the GFS has 30's lol

Cmon Red...you know the Euro day 10 has been verifying completely opposite what it has shown all season long. Shows cold and we've been warm, shows warm and we've been BN. We got that going for us. 

We picked up a needed .07" of rain yesterday. Beautiful late winter day across the County today. Temps today in the 50's and we might hit 60 degrees on Wednesday. Looks like rain again by Thursday.
The record high for today is 65 degrees from 1951. Record low was the 5 below zero from 1979. The daily precipitation and snow record are both from today's date in 1899. In the midst of the greatest snowstorm in Chester County history with 35.3" of snow falling on the 13th alone and an incredible storm total of 53.0" by the time the storm wrapped up on Valentines Day.

image.png.081a25a6cdcf8666230f4183d3b86e8b.png

After a 39 low this morning I made it up to 57 for a high.  Ended up getting 0.17" of rain yesterday which was the first measurable recorded for the month so far (other times there was enough to wet the walks but not tip the bucket).

Currently 48 with a dryish dp of 21 (I saw SPSs up for the N/W burbs for fire potential weather issues).

And 18z GFS - end of month frozen from what looks like a fropa.  Lock  and load.

floop-gfs-18z-2023021318.prateptype_cat-imp.conus-02132023.gif

floop-gfs-18z-snow-2023021318.sn10_acc-imp.us_ne-02132023.gif

for the first time in over five weeks, both the 0Z GFS and 0Z CMC runs saying something will fall out of the sky by the end of month into March that is frozen-- from 5-16 inches of frozen whatever on the clown maps now. over E PA.  The fact that there is even a chance of frozen precip and that both models are consistent with this idea is the first promising hint of some significant type of winter storm event this year.  I guess better late than never. However , I am not holding my breath.  Could be model mayhem right now with a new weather pattern change.

Just maybe the SER will relax enough to allow the GOM to open up for business. It sure the hell has been dry enough around here.  Today  we had a wildfire risk statement issued and unless we some receive serious GOM moisture in our area, I see a lot of red flags warnings being hoisted in March as we start to warm up even more as the forest floors are pretty dry already.  

• Weenie 1

All 3 major globals have a frozen event in the region between 200-240 hours. 6z GFS was a weenie run with 2 or 3 frozen events thru the run. Not quite over yet. Think the SSWE currently unfolding will have an effect also as we enter the middle portion of March. Some mixed signals that March could be a severely anomalous BN temp month. Buckle up.

5 hours ago, Albedoman said:

for the first time in over five weeks, both the 0Z GFS and 0Z CMC runs saying something will fall out of the sky by the end of month into March that is frozen-- 

GFS and the GEPS have been all over this for at least 5 days. Nice to see the Euro trending the right way for a change too. 

40 minutes ago, RedSky said:

But DT just did his three week and has next week as a repeat furnace. 180 degree flip in next week in 12hrs would be skeptical and see if it holds for at least 24hrs.

But it isn't a flip in 12 hrs. Only the Euro family had a furnace and even those have slowly been stepping down to a colder look. Seeing signs of decent ridging up top with a SPV being displaced underneath. This time of the year those are the ingredients needed for an anomalous cold pattern. But as you know, without the HL ridging we likely torch so it could still go either way. But to see the SWE and the subsequent signals for HL ridging on the ens leaves some hope in an otherwise crap winter. Not backing down off my backloaded winter thoughts. Still see no reason to change this thinking....fairly typical for a Nina. Just hope the SWE doesn't muck things up. If the backloaded Nina couples with a favorable SWE could potentially have an epic last 4 weeks to winter to be perfectly honest. Like playing roulette...could have a pretty big payout........or could just be giving out chips to the house. I'll take my chances with at least a shot at something tho. Can't hit the jackpot without putting in your chips. LFG!

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

I look at March as the first four weeks of spring and the idea of cold and snow AGAIN after a dumpsterfire winter is terrible. Unfortunately the odds are leaning in that direction.

March is the new December. Need to change your mindset. 15 years ago I agree with you....I'm usually getting ready for yard work, fishing, etc. But past decade I've been putting those on hold until after April 7. It isn't just cloud talk, it is a real seasonal change. Not sure the scientific reasoning. Might be a question for a red tagger.

Another well above normal day today with temps in the low 50's. Our normal high today is just shy of 40 degrees. Of note today is the last day in the winter with average high temperatures of less than 40 degrees. The next time average high temperatures are in the 30's will be December 19th. Tomorrow we will approach near 60 but with increasing clouds. Rain looks to arrive on Thursday into early Friday. Will will turn briefly chillier again on Friday PM into Saturday before warming up again by Sunday.
Our records for today: High 63 degrees (1949) / Low 4 below zero (1979) / Precipitation 1.25" (2007) / Snow 10.0" (1899)
image.png.18d908cdedf84d63323941aefae08634.png

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

All 3 major globals have a frozen event in the region between 200-240 hours. 6z GFS was a weenie run with 2 or 3 frozen events thru the run. Not quite over yet. Think the SSWE currently unfolding will have an effect also as we enter the middle portion of March. Some mixed signals that March could be a severely anomalous BN temp month. Buckle up.

"Buckle Up" has been your favorite phrase this winter. 

...or "Two more weeks" :)

12 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

March is the new December. Need to change your mindset. 15 years ago I agree with you....I'm usually getting ready for yard work, fishing, etc. But past decade I've been putting those on hold until after April 7. It isn't just cloud talk, it is a real seasonal change. Not sure the scientific reasoning. Might be a question for a red tagger.

I will look at March individually across only Chester County but for the March - April - May spring months overall as usual any actual temperature changes appear cyclical. With overall Phoenixville warmer - West Chester flat and Coatesville trending cooler

image.thumb.png.47567b05b02b0356305b3d7d3911e77b.png