• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

I don't think I have ever witnessed a shorter duration (significant) cold snap.  This will be less than 24 hours, depending on your persepective.  The arctic air began ushering in this morning, and temps are supposed to start rising Saturday night.  Very strange.  No blocking, but still quite strange. Followed by a warm up, leaving little time for winter to return.  Without any real cold air source...

I'm doubting NYC sees single digits tonight, but I have been wrong more times than the Groundhog...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Yes it bit him as it should have.

8 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Yes, too bad the roles couldn't have been reversed.

It would have been better if it had lived and he, every ground hog day, turned into one. Stay well and warm everyone. As always …

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

That's my friend Jack.  I don't think he's hiking back down with me.

I wonder if Mt Washington is actually more difficult to hike in these conditions than either Mt Everest or K2

Just had a huge gust that shook my house like an earthquake, must have been over 50 mph

My power has flickered twice.

Do you guys remember the January 2019 arctic blast?  It happened on the night of a total lunar eclipse.  My power went out for two hours from 8 PM to 10 PM and luckily came back in time to see the total lunar eclipse around 11 PM to Midnight.

The full moon in winter is really high up (the opposite of the sun of course).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I wonder if Mt Washington is actually more difficult to hike in these conditions than either Mt Everest or K2

Just had a huge gust that shook my house like an earthquake, must have been over 50 mph

Do you guys remember the January 2019 arctic blast?  It happened on the night of a total lunar eclipse.  My power went out for two hours from 8 PM to 10 PM and luckily came back in time to see the total lunar eclipse around 11 PM to Midnight.

I definitely remember the Feb 2016 blast. I boarded the plane in Austin in perfect conditions and around 60, got off the plane to wind not far from this and zero. There were massive piles left but not much else from the 1/23/16 mega storm I missed which made it feel even worse. 

Interesting weather wise down there, the severe weather was way better than I ever experienced up here, and May 2015/Oct 2016 were on par or worse than Aug 2011 up here for rainfall. And for any heat fans, 100+ every day and frequent 105 or close is absolutely unbearable. Austin/San Antonio mix the heat from the desert to the west with the Gulf humidity. Possibly the most unbearable stretch in the whole country for heat. 

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was reading a cooking newsletter this morning that featured extracts from Frances Trollope (mother of novelist Anthony Trollope) about her observations on American cooking and dining habits in the late 1820s.  It contained a passage about American sleigh-riding, which I thought might interest the snow-lovers in this forum:

The sleighs are delightful, and constructed at so little expense that I wonder we have not all got them in England, lying by, in waiting for the snow, which often remains with us long enough to permit their use. Sleighing is much more generally enjoyed by night than by day, for what reason I could never discover, unless it be, that no gentlemen are to be found disengaged from business in the mornings. Nothing, certainly, can be more agreeable than the gliding smoothly and rapidly along, deep sunk in soft furs, the moon shining with almost midday splendour, the air of crystal brightness, and the snow sparkling on every side, as if it were sprinkled with diamonds. And then the noiseless movement of the horses, so mysterious and unwonted, and the gentle tinkling of the bells you meet and carry, all help at once to sooth and excite the spirits: in short, I had not the least objection to sleighing by night; I only wished to sleigh by day also."
Trollope, Frances Milton. Domestic Manners of the Americans, Volume 1. 1832

And I wondered, first, whether any of you have ever experienced an actual horse-drawn sleigh ride, and second, how deep, and what kind, of snow would be required to support a sleigh and horses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Pellice said:

I was reading a cooking newsletter this morning that featured extracts from Frances Trollope (mother of novelist Anthony Trollope) about her observations on American cooking and dining habits in the late 1820s.  It contained a passage about American sleigh-riding, which I thought might interest the snow-lovers in this forum:

And I wondered, first, whether any of you have ever experienced an actual horse-drawn sleigh ride, and second, how deep, and what kind, of snow would be required to support a sleigh and horses.

Good morning Pellice and thank you for the excerpt. Probably the closest many of us have come, specifically as children, is dreaming while we sang “over the river and through the woods” during Thanksgiving. Stay well, as always ….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pellice said:

1 hour ago, rclab said:

Good morning Pellice and thank you for the excerpt. Probably the closest many of us have come, specifically as children, is dreaming while we sang “over the river and through the woods” during Thanksgiving. Stay well, as always ….

Good morning. I have not had the opportunity to experience a horse drawn sleigh ride. I do know though that back in those days many towns had snow rollers that packed the snow down.  Here’s a link that gives you more details: https://mwvvibe.com/white-mountain-snow-rollers/  I also recall learning during a visit to the Vermont Covered Bridge Museum in Bennington that during this period they would shovel snow into covered bridges. This served two purposes, it made for a better sleigh ride but more importantly it protect3d the floor boards of the bridge from ruts and damage done by the runners. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Good morning. I have not had the opportunity to experience a horse drawn sleigh ride. I do know though that back in those days many towns had snow rollers that packed the snow down.  Here’s a link that gives you more details: https://mwvvibe.com/white-mountain-snow-rollers/  I also recall learning during a visit to the Vermont Covered Bridge Museum in Bennington that during this period they would shovel snow into covered bridges. This served two purposes, it made for a better sleigh ride but more importantly it protect3d the floor boards of the bridge from ruts and damage done by the runners. 

Thank you Rob. I passed this great article to my Grandson. The New England forum could use this article to ease their season misery. For me I’ll be a swamper with the crew in our forum. Stay well, as always …

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 7:40 PM, Volcanic Winter said:

Aspirational. 

image.thumb.jpeg.2481ac07b9f6a94e6bfe647ce6127417.jpeg

My wife stopped to pick me up my favorite winter beer release; Nugget Nectar. Unfortunately our liquor store didn’t have but she felt this was a suitable replacement. 

Would have to agree. Yum. 

Yours looks good... I kinda like this as a recent choice.  Oh and where did snowman19 go?  He is smiling..I told you no snow...

Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 1.55.07 PM.png

• Like 8

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic