Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

6 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Crazy how much impact a fresh snow pack makes.  RDU colder than Boston.  Of course if the snow pack isn't there then you don't get anywhere near this.

You would if its right. the front just made it to Boston on that map. The reason they hate heavy blocking in a nutshell. The northern jet can get buckled around them. 

On 12/10/2022 at 8:04 PM, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Everything to Dec19-29 will adjust (I've been looking at 4 model runs a day for 20 years). +PNA Dec19-29, will give us a less pronounced -EPO, and because the Atlantic has been negatively correlating, probably less of a -NAO, although we have developed a -NAO tendency around Christmas since 2014, happening 7/8 years, with an average +120dm anomaly, vs the -60dm +NAO for Dec-Mar in the combination of those 8 Winter's. (re: 18z GFS ensembles) I think the -NAO tendency for Christmas 12/25.. will adjust to -EPO/+PNA, so watch for that gravity. 12/25 -EPO/+PNA and 12-19to29 +PNA.. besides that the rest of the N. Hemisphere pattern likely will flatten out/neutralize, LR models for the next 4-8 days will adjust accordingly<-. 

so whats the verification thus far

0Z GEFS:
gfs-ens_z500a_us_31.png
gfs-ens_z500a_namer_31.png

AncientFortunateBarnswallow-size_restricted.gif

Exactly mate. I’d take this look @ 500mb all damn day and roll the dice. We’re likely cashing in in some way shape or form by Christmas and new years, the question is do we hit the jackpot?

Way too many folks getting caught up on differences in surface map outcomes on OP runs 8 days out. Just because the 12z GFS showed a foot of snow in our backyard and 3-6” a few runs later at 0z (due to fairly minute differences in timing / location / etc) doesn’t mean things are trending away from us. Not 8 days out. Folks deep down know better, but the emotions and anticipation get the best of em.

Details such as timing, exact location of key features, the precise amount of western ridging and digging in the east, etc. will get ironed out as we get closer to the event. 5 days out or less is when these types of trends on OP runs should begin to either worry or excite us. There’s a reason these OP outcomes waffle so much at range. Ensembles are still very much the thing to lean on when you’re a week plus out from an event. Living and dying with each clown map from OP run to OP run is precisely why so many get let down. “But that one run 7-10 days out showed Frederick getting 30”, what a bust!” OY VEY, as my ancestors would say.

The only thing we should be taking away from the last 24-48 hours is that pretty much the entire global suite has trended toward a strong signal for at least one SECS+ around Christmas, that there will be very cold air around, and that many in this sub will likely see at least an advisory level snowfall, if not more - in December - with at least another 2 chances on the heels of the 23rd-25th threat. We can’t ask for much more than that. The next 4 weeks could be special if the stars align. That’s the nature of living in this general area.

I, for one, am not worrying about less digging from one run to the next 7+ days out, otherwise I’ll be burnt out long before the storm ever materializes. Let’s at least save the worrying about surface map outcomes for when OPs actually matter.

So long as the GEFS and EPS are signaling a solid potential for a significant EC storm a week out, I am satisfied and will take each individual OP run with a grain of salt until the 18th or so. It’s all simply noise at this range.
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah something happened up top with the blocking...seemed to weaken and the energy didn't dig enough.

The initial wave sliding east under the NAO ridge towards 50-50 is weaker, and more energy is dumped into the main shortwave- so a stronger shortwave with less resistance above and it doesn't dig as far south. Fairly subtle differences in the wave interactions can make big differences in the outcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1