• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England heavy rain event Sept 5/6 2022. Does this end the summer drought?

wxeyeNH

That's not a bad separation vector on that tornado warned cell. ZDR arc and KDP foot are definitely showing size sorting, and the vector is close to perpendicular (maybe 60ish degrees).

Sign that there is streamwise vorticity (not surprising along the frontal boundary) and should at least maintain for a little bit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Digital storm totals might be a tad overdone, PWS i am seeing have 4.5-4.7" where 5-5.5" are estimated currently. Of course it depends on PWS accuracy/siting etc.

Regardless, current trends on radar are problematic for this corridor.

I have an Ambient weather 2902 connected to meteobridge. I also set up a few old fashion rain gauges in my back yard to compare against the weather station rain gauge. The weather station is set up without anything around it and level. The weather station was .15 off from the 2 tube rain gauges. The meteobridge allows for correction in the router software. The weather station is now within .01 of the other 2 rain gauges.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This is like classic tropical rain though. Z is mostly moderate across RI right now, ZDR on the lower side (~1-2 db), and KDP around 1 deg/km. Now KDP around 1 or 2 can be either heavy continental rain or heavy tropical rain. The giveaway is ZDR. Large continental drops would be large ZDR (flatter than they are round), but tropical raindrops stay close to 1 or 2 db as they are smaller and more spherical. 

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Warm cloud processes ftw.

This is the stuff we come to the forum for.  Both of you with much value added today.  Thanks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Vinny Findley said:

I have an Ambient weather 2902 connected to meteobridge. I also set up a few old fashion rain gauges in my back yard to compare against the weather station rain gauge. The weather station is set up without anything around it and level. The weather station was .15 off from the 2 tube rain gauges. The meteobridge allows for correction in the router software. The weather station is now within .01 of the other 2 rain gauges.

Current estimate is ~5" in your area. So i would knock 20% off those radar estimates

1 minute ago, Vinny Findley said:

Up to 4.41" Right on the southern edge of the training right now. Just when I think it's letting up it gets heavy again. Light rain right now. 3 hours of heavy rain.

The boundary is sitting just north of the Kent County border, and I don't see much reason why the rains won't continue there given the cells feeding into it from the southwest. 

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The boundary is sitting just north of the Kent County border, and I don't see much reason why the rains won't continue there given the cells feeding into it from the southwest. 

Looking back into CT I'm getting really concerned if we get a repeat of what we just had over night. I'm up high so no problem for me but Where I have to drive through to get to work tomorrow morning isn't going to be fun unless I take the long route which is about 17 miles longer. Another 4 to 5 inches on top of what we already had and I will take the longer route.

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ginx will get 6-8” at least 

Still getting Steined so far down here.  .05" from a 3 minute extra heavy shower around 1:30ish, but nothing since then.

Warm and moist.  78/74 IMBY.  Lot's of rumbles of thunder from the storms just to the north.  Hopefully they sink south as the day progresses.

image.thumb.png.e7eb89fcbfd6c0f71259110873dc6727.png

4 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

Still getting Steined so far down here.  .05" from a 3 minute extra heavy shower around 1:30ish, but nothing since then.

Warm and moist.  78/74 IMBY.  Lot's of rumbles of thunder from the storms just to the north.  Hopefully they sink south as the day progresses.

image.thumb.png.e7eb89fcbfd6c0f71259110873dc6727.png

You are going to be close to ground zero there I think. Boundary will stall over or just south of you 

• Like 1