Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Banter 2022

George BM

5 hours ago, mattie g said:

Last year was odd in that we ended at 3-2, but the 2-3 team had more total points than us, and we had more than the 4-1 team. Only the division winner went up, with the 5th and 6th place teams going down. Now it's between us and last year's 4-1 team to see who wins the division. There's a really big gap between us two and the rest of the division this year, so there's no doubt that NVSL will bump us up again.

I can only imagine what being in some of those higher divisions must be like. We just have so much fun with everything we do that I just can't imagine that stress. I hear you on how some parents would take going up or down. There are two or three families who would love for us to go up even higher so their very talented kids had stiffer competition, but it's not a point of contention or anything. I understand that, for sure, but it wouldn't be best for our team.

The coaches just finished putting together our line up for this weekend, and that was the most focused I think they've been this year ( :lol: ). It was fun to put it all together, but doing that on a regular basis with a small team to try to remain competitive in a higher division would be a real pain in the azz!

Yup...that pool is tiny. We were there last year for relay carnival, and it was reeeeally tight. Swimming there again this weekend is going to suck a little! :lol:

We are seeing some teams around us fly up 3,4,5 divisions from one year to the next. Covid played a role the last two years as some teams got stronger and some suffered. I think this year is more of a normal year for teams. 

The year we went 2-3 we did well at divisional relays and they still moved us up.  We got 3rd tonight so that will probably keep us where we are even if we go 2-3 again.  Our coaches really want to win our last meet this summer cause the pool we face is partly a rival. We’ve done B meets with them in years past.  

It does get to be less fun when you know some only care about wins and being high up in the standings. More eyes on you and you hear more comments. When you get to higher positions there is more expectation for the pools to be nicer and have better amenities. That ain’t us. Never have been. But that’s what some of our newer parents that join because of where we are now expect. And some other teams make shitty comments about our dumpy pool. Hey, it’s our pool. WE make the dumpy comments, not others. Lol

Just keep rocking that fun mentality. Don’t give a rip about moving up. Keep egos and attitudes in check because you can go from Tom Brady to Ryan Leaf in one year. Cause keeping up with the Joneses ain’t fun. Be more Edsall Park who clearly don’t give a shit than Div 1 teams that charter buses and hog all the stands at all star events

4 hours ago, Interstate said:

So why didnt the NWS switch Bonnie's name to a Pacific name storm?

3 hours ago, alexderiemer said:

Because she maintained tropical characteristics and didn't totally dissipate

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

This—a pretty rare phenomenon in itself but it’s basically unheard of for a system to jump basins and then become a major hurricane. 

19 hours ago, H2O said:

We are seeing some teams around us fly up 3,4,5 divisions from one year to the next. Covid played a role the last two years as some teams got stronger and some suffered. I think this year is more of a normal year for teams. 

The year we went 2-3 we did well at divisional relays and they still moved us up.  We got 3rd tonight so that will probably keep us where we are even if we go 2-3 again.  Our coaches really want to win our last meet this summer cause the pool we face is partly a rival. We’ve done B meets with them in years past.  

It does get to be less fun when you know some only care about wins and being high up in the standings. More eyes on you and you hear more comments. When you get to higher positions there is more expectation for the pools to be nicer and have better amenities. That ain’t us. Never have been. But that’s what some of our newer parents that join because of where we are now expect. And some other teams make shitty comments about our dumpy pool. Hey, it’s our pool. WE make the dumpy comments, not others. Lol

Just keep rocking that fun mentality. Don’t give a rip about moving up. Keep egos and attitudes in check because you can go from Tom Brady to Ryan Leaf in one year. Cause keeping up with the Joneses ain’t fun. Be more Edsall Park who clearly don’t give a shit than Div 1 teams that charter buses and hog all the stands at all star events

This is the right attitude.  Our pool is, and has always been, in the middle divisions.  We like it that way.  The kids are mostly there to have fun and swim their best.  No one cares all that much about our record . . . we'll likely be 1-4 this year and it's no big deal.  Due to our location, most of our B meets are against top-division teams.  The atmosphere is so much different and is not something I'd ever want for our pool and our kids.  (One notable exception is Langley, which seems far more laid back than the other Division 1/2 pools we see.)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

The 2022 orioles are the funnest under .500 team I’ve cheered for.

Those can be really fun years, especially if your team can make a run. It’s noteworthy that the Orioles are currently only 2 games out of the final playoff spot. This could be a wild ride for you guys down the stretch.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 9:52 PM, H2O said:

We're proud of who we are, and we know that we're not in any position to fly up the tables. OKM is the closest high-division pool, and that's what they've done the last 5-6 years. From what I've been told, they have an NCAP coach/coaching staff, and they've pulled in lots of NCAP swimmers from our local area because of that. They also have a military family swimmer (one of their best) who swam for us a few years ago before moving out of the area and now swims for them after moving back, so we're a little bitter (not really...but maybe just a little :lol:).

After relay carnival, it's pretty much a given that us and CSC will be going up next year - it's just a matter of where. Probably whoever wins the division goes to 14, with the other going to 15, but they're a much bigger team than we are and could probably stand 14 better than we could. I seriously can't imagine what it must be like in those higher divisions. Being a team rep is tough enough down here!

Lol on the dumpy pool comments, by the way. :lol:

Been hearing rumors that one of our closest pools - and one we've swam against a lot over the years - may end up folding in the near future. I really hope it doesn't happen, but apparently it's a membership issue. They've been losing lots of folks to other pools (including ours), so they're really struggling. And it's a wonder that Edsall Park is still a team. Someone told me they had like 8 kids on their team recently. It's great for the kids that they can swim, but how in the hell can they even run a meet?!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mattie g said:

We're proud of who we are, and we know that we're not in any position to fly up the tables. OKM is the closest high-division pool, and that's what they've done the last 5-6 years. From what I've been told, they have an NCAP coach/coaching staff, and they've pulled in lots of NCAP swimmers from our local area because of that. They also have a military family swimmer (one of their best) who swam for us a few years ago before moving out of the area and now swims for them after moving back, so we're a little bitter (not really...but maybe just a little :lol:).

After relay carnival, it's pretty much a given that us and CSC will be going up next year - it's just a matter of where. Probably whoever wins the division goes to 14, with the other going to 15, but they're a much bigger team than we are and could probably stand 14 better than we could. I seriously can't imagine what it must be like in those higher divisions. Being a team rep is tough enough down here!

Lol on the dumpy pool comments, by the way. :lol:

Been hearing rumors that one of our closest pools - and one we've swam against a lot over the years - may end up folding in the near future. I really hope it doesn't happen, but apparently it's a membership issue. They've been losing lots of folks to other pools (including ours), so they're really struggling. And it's a wonder that Edsall Park is still a team. Someone told me they had like 8 kids on their team recently. It's great for the kids that they can swim, but how in the hell can they even run a meet?!

We had OKM in our Div a few years ago.  Crushed us.  So they will be in D1 before long.  

Hope for only 1 div jump.  2 wouldn't be awful.  There are lots of fun teams down there.  The change really only starts to happen from D10 up.  Thats when you encounter the nicer pools here and there and the turned up noses.  

Well, we are a dumpy pool.  Built in the 50s/60s on a piece of land that wasn't developed.  Bath house is tiny and old.  But a hill on one side gives great views! We are 100% punching above our weight class as far as niceties for where we are.  Places like Chesterbrook have 3x or more the operating budget than we do.  They can hire This Old House to fix their pool while the board begs me to go fix a backstroke flag pole and I use a hammer and wood shims to hold it in place and cross fingers.  

Edsall Park has a soft spot in my heart.  Had friends back in HS that swam there when they actually had a bigger team.  We've also tried to help them at B meets by swimming there to spend money and let kids swim.  They tried to merge with BrenMar years ago to bolster things and then BrenMar stopped having swim teams.  I will root like hell for Edsall but feels like their days are numbered too.

15 hours ago, hstorm said:

This is the right attitude.  Our pool is, and has always been, in the middle divisions.  We like it that way.  The kids are mostly there to have fun and swim their best.  No one cares all that much about our record . . . we'll likely be 1-4 this year and it's no big deal.  Due to our location, most of our B meets are against top-division teams.  The atmosphere is so much different and is not something I'd ever want for our pool and our kids.  (One notable exception is Langley, which seems far more laid back than the other Division 1/2 pools we see.)

Another NVSL parent! lol

Glad to hear that your kids are out there to have fun first, then compete. That's what we're all about. We'll pop around D16 up to maybe D13, but beyond that is just too much for us...and that's totally fine! We were in D17 a few years ago (before my kids swam), and I heard that we don't want to go back there just because the pools down there are so small, and there's not much competition. We've had a lot of blowouts this year and, quite frankly, those meets can be a bit of a letdown for both teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H2O said:

We had OKM in our Div a few years ago.  Crushed us.  So they will be in D1 before long.  

Hope for only 1 div jump.  2 wouldn't be awful.  There are lots of fun teams down there.  The change really only starts to happen from D10 up.  Thats when you encounter the nicer pools here and there and the turned up noses.  

Well, we are a dumpy pool.  Built in the 50s/60s on a piece of land that wasn't developed.  Bath house is tiny and old.  But a hill on one side gives great views! We are 100% punching above our weight class as far as niceties for where we are.  Places like Chesterbrook have 3x or more the operating budget than we do.  They can hire This Old House to fix their pool while the board begs me to go fix a backstroke flag pole and I use a hammer and wood shims to hold it in place and cross fingers.  

Edsall Park has a soft spot in my heart.  Had friends back in HS that swam there when they actually had a bigger team.  We've also tried to help them at B meets by swimming there to spend money and let kids swim.  They tried to merge with BrenMar years ago to bolster things and then BrenMar stopped having swim teams.  I will root like hell for Edsall but feels like their days are numbered too.

I don't know...we swim teams in D13 up to D10 in B Meets, and they have much bigger and deeper teams than we do (we also have have our closest neighbors - D14 and D15 - who are great to swim with). I just don't want to run into a situation in which we can pick up a few wins in meets, but most races are sweeps or multi-places for the other teams. And then there's the dreaded inability to fill a relay! Unless we can build the size of our team, we'll almost always struggle against teams in anywhere above D14. We're going to try to bring some more kids in for next year just so we can be a little deeper and be able to fill lanes when kids are out for vacation or something, but that's much easier said than done.

Sounds like yours is a quaint place to hold a meet! I'm sure some of the other pools you compete against are bigger and more modern, but it has to feel good to be able to say that you've gotten where you are despite all that's going against you. And as for the top 3 teams...they're on another planet. They might as well break off and form their own small league because at this point they're never going to drop out of D1.

We had some nice capital improvements this year. They were well overdue, but we have a new board (that I'm apparently a part of now that I'm a rep :lol:) and manager that are getting sh*t done. We do have a nice pool though - especially compared to some others we've been to in the last couple years - and I feel very grateful for that. Decent size to hold a good crowd and good views from our upper deck and the terraced seating area under the trees. We have a great place to host divisionals and other bigger events, particularly with the VRE parking lot just up the block.

That's awesome to hear that you guys have done your part to help Edsall stay afloat. It's got to be tough for the kids who want to swim, but if they don't have the interest, membership, and/or infrastructure to do it then I agree that their days may well be numbered.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

O’s walkoff :weight_lift::scooter::thumbsup:

52 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Man, the O's really are on a nice roll right now. 

20 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Right above the single A Nationals. ;)

Went to my first game in 1977. I was 12, it took me that long to convince my dad to make the drive down from Lancaster county. In 1984 I bought my first season ticket plan at 19...had them until 1997 when marriage, kids, and career made the constant travel no longer feasible. Since then it's been a game here and there. 

Heading down for tomorrow's game. Going back in August for the 30th anniversary night for Camden Yards. We Orioles fans have suffered long enough. This year is fun. 

- Diehard black and orange fan from PA.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

YEAH!!!!! WOO!!!!!!! What. A. COMEBACK! Odor, Adley Clutchman, Mullins, Mancini. I mean this team could be right on the precipice of contention! I mean the absolute clutch this team has shown has really been something to see. And just this week alone has been absolutely EPIC!! Go O's!!

If only G-Rod and Means weren’t on the shelf …

thars a pretty good lineup they run out there one thru six these days

ETA: just checked; O’s are FOUR out of the WC. Would like them to keep Trey, he deserves to be on a good run here if the O’s have it in them.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic