Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,124
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    laikakat
    Newest Member
    laikakat
    Joined

spring banter


 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

I remember 1962 going to baseball practice in 99 degree temps...in 1969 I played a softball game in Central Park against CBS news with Jim Jensen Pitching in 97 degree heat...I hit a triple and home run off him but we lost anyway...

Great memories, w/exception of losing the game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/2/2022 at 9:33 PM, gravitylover said:

So go back. That's where I want to end up eventually.

Soon enough. Only a couple more years till i can consider leaving around here. I dont think the Keys are my final destination though. What i really need is to hit the lotto so i can have a mountain/lake house and a beach house.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Soon enough. Only a couple more years till i can consider leaving around here. I dont think the Keys are my final destination though. What i really need is to hit the lotto so i can have a mountain/lake house and a beach house.

I’d like to move to the Bronx, that way I’ll definitely be in the NYC metro thread area. :lmao:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2022 at 6:48 AM, BxEngine said:

Soon enough. Only a couple more years till i can consider leaving around here. I dont think the Keys are my final destination though. What i really need is to hit the lotto so i can have a mountain/lake house and a beach house.

That's our conundrum too. The best solution I can come up with is a 38 foot coach with a toy hauler trailer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

seeing some convection flare over the core of the low retrograding towards VA/NC.  thunderstorm activity likely influenced by the gulf stream.  this definitely needs to be watched for a Sandy-like cyclogenesis.  i have already informed my newsletter subscribers to stock up on bread, milk, and condoms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

seeing some convection flare over the core of the low retrograding towards VA/NC.  thunderstorm activity likely influenced by the gulf stream.  this definitely needs to be watched for a Sandy-like cyclogenesis.  i have already informed my newsletter subscribers to stock up on bread, milk, and condoms.

Good morning Will. Reading the first sentence, I feared someone had hacked your ID. By the last word of the last sentence I knew it was really you. I did take your advice on the milk and bread; as for the last item …. Well where I’m concerned it would be like putting a muzzle on a chihuahua. As always …

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, the fate of this year's spring birding season is just about sealed.  Tomorrow is the statewide World Series of Birding, and it's looking to be just as flat as the rest of this spring's migration has been.  We needed several warm fronts with southerly, preferably southwesterly light overnight winds, and we didn't get them.  One night of southerly winds, night of May 2, and it was followed by good numbers of arriving birds - but May 3 was rainy and very overcast, and the birds were not inclined to sing, and the lack of sun made most of them horribly backlit.  You can actually see migration routes shifting inland.  The Cornell Lab of Ornithology's new "migration dashboard" - https://birdcast.info/ - is somehow able to use radar to give good estimates of overhead migration at night, and I could see birds dividing around New Castle County in Delaware and heading inland following the spine of the eastern Appalachian ridge rather than the coast.

This has been the most recent of a number of consecutive years of poor spring migration in New Jersey, all due to rather relentless easterly and northeasterly winds, occasionally strong.  There's fear the spring weather patterns are shifting for good.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2022 at 5:57 PM, forkyfork said:

i just want it to be hot. why can't it be 97 degrees right now? :(

let's all pray, make offerings, child sacrifices, etc to the weather gods for 100 degrees next weekend. we can do this guys <3 

ecmwf_T850a_us_60.png

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, forkyfork said:

let's all pray, make offerings, child sacrifices, etc to the weather gods for 100 degrees next weekend. we can do this guys <3 

ecmwf_T850a_us_60.png

 

 

Good evening forky. Sacrificing your avatar might also work. As always ….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Pellice said:

Well, the fate of this year's spring birding season is just about sealed.  Tomorrow is the statewide World Series of Birding, and it's looking to be just as flat as the rest of this spring's migration has been.  We needed several warm fronts with southerly, preferably southwesterly light overnight winds, and we didn't get them.  One night of southerly winds, night of May 2, and it was followed by good numbers of arriving birds - but May 3 was rainy and very overcast, and the birds were not inclined to sing, and the lack of sun made most of them horribly backlit.  You can actually see migration routes shifting inland.  The Cornell Lab of Ornithology's new "migration dashboard" - https://birdcast.info/ - is somehow able to use radar to give good estimates of overhead migration at night, and I could see birds dividing around New Castle County in Delaware and heading inland following the spine of the eastern Appalachian ridge rather than the coast.

This has been the most recent of a number of consecutive years of poor spring migration in New Jersey, all due to rather relentless easterly and northeasterly winds, occasionally strong.  There's fear the spring weather patterns are shifting for good.

Plenty of birds singing here, I even yelled at them to stop because they're just so damn loud.

They even woke me up one night around 2:30 am....what on Earth could possess birds to sing in the middle of the night and what kind of birds could they possibly be?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Plenty of birds singing here, I even yelled at them to stop because they're just so damn loud.

They even woke me up one night around 2:30 am....what on Earth could possess birds to sing in the middle of the night and what kind of birds could they possibly be?

 

Good morning Liberty. When I hear their call I’m assured that the night will soon end. A bird singing, arriving on a light breeze, is the atmospheres gift. Accept it with gratitude. The alternative, unthinkable. Stay well, as always ….  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Plenty of birds singing here, I even yelled at them to stop because they're just so damn loud.

They even woke me up one night around 2:30 am....what on Earth could possess birds to sing in the middle of the night and what kind of birds could they possibly be?

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, nycwinter said:

so humid today when will this summer ever end?

I want a device to be invented to suck the clouds into space and get rid of them forever

I hope we get to see the eclipse tonight but if we don't you can be sure I'm going to find a way to make all the clouds go away forever

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...