Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring Banter 2022

HoarfrostHubb

26 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

Interestingly, the fatality rate in VT and NY is very similar (both low by national standards). Massachusetts is the safest state in the country to drive in-despite lots of talk about how crazy its drivers are...

https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/states/statesfatalitiesfatalityrates.aspx

Non Fatals

10-states-with-most-at-fault-accidents-2021-1-980x781.png

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

In my experience, MA drivers are slow and drive very defensively/deliberately, at least on the highway. Like they are all 80 years old in a large Buick. This can lead to them sometimes seeming to be erratic on the roads compared to those who drive in a more "fluid and rapid manner." They don't react as you'd expect and take a while to maneuver, like when changing lanes or merging.

NH has its share of bad drivers. A classic around here is a lifted truck passing 2-4 cars at once on a two lane road right before a blind curve. I haven't been here long and have already seen some near misses with head on collisions.

If I'm in Mass on 495 where it's 3 lanes and I'm on the middle one driving 65 if 5 Mass drivers pass me, 4 will go by on my right.  Haven't seen that characteristic nearly as much elsewhere.  NJ drivers on the GS Parkway are notorious for multiple-lane swerving to gain a few dozen yards.  At 75 mph, that's less than one second of "gain".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radarman said:

I'm not here to defend drunk drivers, but I do think the actual roadway behavior is actually more important than the reasoning behind it.  If you get caught sober doing 110 and weaving in and out of traffic you'll be in far less trouble than a guy doing 35 to the right with a taillight out who had a few cocktails.  The former is far more worthy of punishment... but yes the latter is also worthy of punishment.

I’m not arguing against your point either. 70% of traffic fatalities are non alcohol related so it’s clear aggressive roadway behavior is a biggest problem. The argument beforehand though was alcohol vs weed. One weenie, and probably the only one on earth, thinks a stoned dude somehow cannot locate and thus does not use his brakes, just slams into objects and people like a pinball machine while a heavy beer drinker stumbling his way out of a local boobs bar is somehow managing his way through traffic delicately…and politely drives around town obeying every single traffic law with safety as his number 1 priority.

18 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m not arguing against your point either. 70% of traffic fatalities are non alcohol related so it’s clear aggressive roadway behavior is a biggest problem. The argument beforehand though was alcohol vs weed. One weenie, and probably the only one on earth, thinks a stoned dude somehow cannot locate and thus does not use his brakes, just slams into objects and people like a pinball machine while a heavy beer drinker stumbling his way out of a local boobs bar is somehow managing his way through traffic delicately…and politely drives around town obeying every single traffic law with safety as his number 1 priority.

Anecdotal only and my weed experience is strictly 2nd hand smoke (especially while delivering pizza to BGR's most prestigious private college many years ago.)  On my summer 1975 job as a field research assistant, my co-worker liked the stuff but never brought any on our Mon-Fri work weeks.  Most of the landowners on whose woods we worked supplied grunt labor to help us in cutting/weighing the trees on research plots, and on our week near Machias the labor was young men on "work-vacation" from NYC.  Thursday (their last day helping) after work they invited us to where they were staying and offered some MJ.  I demurred but my chum said yes.  After we got back to where our sleeping bags lived, he exclaimed how glad he was that I was driving, as the NYC grass was "the gooood stuff!"  - far more potent than what came into Maine.  He said that on the 10-mile drive he'd think we were going 200 mph one minute and at walking speed the next - total scramble of time perception.  Maybe it was just being utterly blasted by the unexpectedly high-test weed, but he certainly wasn't fit to pilot a vehicle.

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks, I guess a better question would be, what can’t I plant? We are doing pots on the deck.

I know probably another 3-4 weeks for tomatoes,

Cucumbers?

No nightshades, peppers,tomatoes, eggplant.  I would also wait on cucumbers and squash. 
cruciferous vegetables are fine.  Kale, cabbage etc. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

No nightshades, peppers,tomatoes, eggplant.  I would also wait on cucumbers and squash. 
cruciferous vegetables are fine.  Kale, cabbage etc. 

yeah pretty much this. Not sure if he’s in as much of a frost pocket like TAN is either. I know Bob tends to be a littler warmer than the rad pit ASOS.

12 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Can I plant lettuce, pole beans, carrots, spinach, and scallions tomorrow?

I’ve never done the beans, but if there’s any of those to wait on it may be those. I think maybe @dryslot does them? Scallions may even be perennial where you are. I know some are perennial down to z6.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

yeah pretty much this. Not sure if he’s in as much of a frost pocket like TAN is either. I know Bob tends to be a littler warmer than the rad pit ASOS.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I’ve never done the beans, but if there’s any of those to wait on it may be those. I think maybe @dryslot does them? Scallions may even be perennial where you are. I know some are perennial down to z6.

Will them bring in pots on the deck help if we get a borderline frost? I’ll probably start with lettuce spinach carrots and scallions today 

34 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Will them bring in pots on the deck help if we get a borderline frost? I’ll probably start with lettuce spinach carrots and scallions today 

Yeah if they’re in pots you’ll be fine if you protect them. I have my avocados outside already…I just bring them into the garage with frost threats.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah if they’re in pots you’ll be fine if you protect them. I have my avocados outside already…I just bring them into the garage with frost threats.

Cool, my neighbor has literally everything except tomatoes and peppers in already. He said he’s always been fine unless we get a really hard freeze

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

Pole beans are a little more sensitive to cold than bush beans.  In your area I'd hold off on beans until after the mid-week cutoff makes its exit.  We're on the edge of z4 and z5 here - average for winter's coldest is -24.2, median 24.5.  Most recent 5-year average is -25.6.

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 6:46 PM, ORH_wxman said:

We bought our place in 2017 for 345k, could easily sell for 550-600k now. It’s asinine. 

But all the houses we would upgrade to are ridiculously expensive too now. 

I keep having this conversation with my wife. If we sold our house tomorrow, we'd probably get a cash offer that would pay off all our debts and give us 20% to put down on next house......but her response is always the same "it took us a year and half to find this house. How long will it take to find the next one/where would we go?"

39 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

I keep having this conversation with my wife. If we sold our house tomorrow, we'd probably get a cash offer that would pay off all our debts and give us 20% to put down on next house......but her response is always the same "it took us a year and half to find this house. How long will it take to find the next one/where would we go?"

If you can rent for a while it's not a bad idea and wait to see where house prices are in 2-3 years, this pace can't keep up, I've seen three of these crazy run-ups and they always end the same way, prices go down. WE have pets so finding a rental is a problem, I've met a few people selling that are moving in with their parents and banking the money for now and they're going to wait and see what happens.