Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2022

wdrag

Morning thoughts…

It will be partly to mostly cloudy and very warm today Showers and perhaps a thundershower are likely during the afternoon and evening. High temperatures will likely reach the upper 60s and lower 70s in most of the region and upper 70s in southeastern Pennsylvania. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 71°

Newark: 73°

Philadelphia: 78°

Cooler air will return for tomorrow.

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 46.9°; 15-Year: 47.4°

Newark: 30-Year: 48.0°; 15-Year: 48.7°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 49.6°; 15-Year: 49.9°

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Every November from now on we need to fly about 1000 B-52 bombers full of ice blocks and dump them from the Philippines to north of Australia. And repeat as needed until the PNA cooperates. ;) 

ice blocks? I'd go full on liquid hellum, the coldest substance known to humankind.

I dont understand why we aren't going headlong into climate engineering.  It's obvious we wont stop fossil fuels anytime soon and as a matter of fact the new IPCC report projects a 14% increase of fossil fuel consumption by 2030, so the only alternative is to pour trillions into climate modification and resiliency projects.

12 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

On this date in 1941, a blizzard dumped 15.7" of snow on New York City. This time around readings soared to record-tying and record breaking highs. Daily records included:

Albany: 64° (old record: 63°, 1974)
Atlantic City: 71° (old record: 68°, 1959 and 2004)
Baltimore: 78° (old record: 76°, 1935)
Hartford: 64° (tied record set in 1935)
New York City-LGA: 68° (old record: 64°, 1976)
New York City-NYC: 68° (tied record set in 1935)
Newark: 69° (tied record set in 1935)
Poughkeepsie: 67° (old record: 63°, 1935)
Sterling, VA: 78° (old record: 70°, 2004)
Wilmington, DE: 71° (tied record set in 1935)

Tomorrow will be another exceptionally warm day. Temperatures will likely reach the upper 60s and lower 70s in the northern Middle Atlantic region. Baltimore and Washington, DC could reach or exceed 80°. There could be some showers or thundershowers as a cold front moves across the region.

Afterward, readings could cool, but remain mainly above seasonable levels until after March 10th. Then, a colder pattern could develop. The duration of such a pattern remains somewhat uncertain.

Overall, March will likely be warmer than normal. There may also be one or two opportunities for at least some measurable snow in the northern Middle Atlantic and southern New England areas.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -1.5°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.8°C for the week centered around February 23. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -1.08°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.70°C. La Niña conditions will likely persist through at least late March.

The SOI was +22.35 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.031 today.

On March 4 the MJO was in Phase 3 at an amplitude of 0.069 (RMM). The March 3-adjusted amplitude was 0.161 (RMM).

JFK was also in the 60s, not sure of what the exact high was, it was in the low to mid 60s here

5 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Morning thoughts…

It will be partly to mostly cloudy and very warm today Showers and perhaps a thundershower are likely during the afternoon and evening. High temperatures will likely reach the upper 60s and lower 70s in most of the region and upper 70s in southeastern Pennsylvania. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 71°

Newark: 73°

Philadelphia: 78°

Cooler air will return for tomorrow.

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 46.9°; 15-Year: 47.4°

Newark: 30-Year: 48.0°; 15-Year: 48.7°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 49.6°; 15-Year: 49.9°

do you think we could get into the 70s too, Don?

JFK hit 69 in late February, I cant remember the last time it hit 70 here

The next 8 days are averaging 46degs.(38/55) or +5.

Reached 65 here yesterday.

Today: 62-66, wind s. to sw., breezy late, cloudy, rain after 3pm, 40 by tomorrow AM.

61*(78%RH) here at 6am.     62* at 7am.     Fell to 55* at 10:30am.      Up to 68* at Noon!!!    69* at 1pm.      Held near 68* for hours then quickly to 61* at 6:30pm.           Went back to 67* and front went past at 9:40pm, no fanfare.        58* at 11pm.

14 hours ago, wdrag said:

5 consecutive 12z/00z cycles the GGEM home alone on 1-7" wet snow in our subforum? The 18z continues... attached.  NAM now showing potential... but I think largely a placement error. Think the NAM primary FGEN will end up further north near I80.  That's just my guess based on recent model northward trends of EC/GFS (thru 12z/6 cycles), and consistency of the GGEM/RGEM. Potent little 12 hour event may be developing now that the 18z/6 NAM is giving credence to the GGEM/RGEM.

Will be a wet snow with accums on pavement probably 1/4 of the raw 10-1. Kuchera has less than 10 to 1 ratios. 2m Temps looks a little warm for snow and suspect they will be 33F wherever the r/s line.  So,  accums in the hills during heavier rates. 

Can it hold and occur WV/nMD/PA/nw NJ/se NYS/CT... i 'think' so but jury out and my bias to the GGEM could lead us astray and biased high.  SREF does not yet support, probably due to warm 2m temps.  Blend of models has less than 0.2" so that probably tempers the enthusiasm. 

Attached in MM  25= 1"  water equiv.  so the 10 MM (~4" 10 to 1 ratio) is fairly widespread over the interior.  I sure hope the GGEM consistency is not erroneous.  Will know Wed eve. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 5.26.43 PM.png

And now the other models have trended to it. This will be a cold surface event.

• Like 1

These big  AO and NAO swings from year to year and sometimes month to month have become the new normal. This year the progressive +AO +NAO favored eastern sections for the heaviest snows. Last winter the heaviest snows were further to the west with the near record -AO and tucked in storm track.

• Thanks 1

Got to about 64/65 last night/ really this morning then went down to about 50 at 7 am.  Up to 56 now lol dead calm no wind, unless the wind ramps up before noon, 99%of the entire area will be hitting at least 60 probably. With areas likely soaring higher then that,  if the wind stays dead. Lol