Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s certainly worth taking a peak every couple days as you said, but it will ultimately fail.  I know, persistent works only until it doesn’t, but I don’t think this winter/season can pull that off.  It’s a rat at its core. 

I'm not sure if missing out on a moderate event in late March is a defining feature of a rat season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

No, my point is, it’s a rat season at heart, so that’s why it will miss.  Season has done nothing interesting here all winter. 

You never know....96-97 was the ultimate rat season until March 31-April 1. Obviously I agree its unlikely to happen...that is why I am so scare these days.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You never know....96-97 was the ultimate rat season until March 31-April 1. Obviously I agree its unlikely to happen...that is why I am so scare these days.

While it's nothing compared to 1997, April 2016 also had a very cold moderate snow event after a garbage season. 1944 also had a pretty large storm around the equinox after a pathetic winter.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

While it's nothing compared to 1997, April 2016 also had a very cold moderate snow event after a garbage season. 1944 also had a pretty large storm around the equinox after a pathetic winter.

Caveat being its always pretty unlikely from late March onward....but I would argue that you have to toss the whole "tenor of the season" thing at that point, as well....everything just reshuffles as the wavelengths shorten and it really ceases to be relevant anymore. It just becomes a total crapshoot/lottery.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Caveat being its always pretty unlikely from late March onward....but I would argue that you have to toss the whole "tenor of the season" thing at that point, as well....everything just reshuffles as the wavelengths shorten and it really ceases to be relevant anymore. It just becomes a total crapshoot/lottery.

Plinko

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

April 2016 was the near-final kick in the teeth for that ratter, as we had cold clouds while SNE snowed.  (And not as cold as ORH by a lot)  Then in May another nudge as we were a bit too far south for the mid-month surprise.
96-97 in Gardiner had average snow but meh storms, none bigger than 8".  Had the lesser northerly storm drop 7.5" on 3/31-4/1, worst homeward commute of my 2 years of Gardiner-Farmington drives.

19 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

I can only remember 2 good snow events from that winter.  and of course the blizzard completely missed

I was housesitting for my GF‘s aunt and uncle in Newton while they were in northern Vermont.  They thought I was joking when I told them there had been a massive snowstorm. They came back on the 2nd and were flabbergasted, Their side street still had not been plowed.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Who can forget The blizzard of 1982

Yeah I was gonna mention that one but we were focusing on big late season storms in crappy winters....and '81-'82 was a good winter even before the April blizzard.

At any rate, GFS is still interested in the threat late next week.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I was gonna mention that one but we were focusing on big late season storms in crappy winters....and '81-'82 was a good winter even before the April blizzard.

We watch.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Up here Franklin COOP had 50" going into the April 12-13, 1933 storm and then scored 35" in that.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Up here Franklin COOP had 50" going into the April 12-13, 1933 storm and then scored 35" in that.

Wow that sounds almost like a carbon copy of ORH in 1996-1997 going into the blizzard....I think ORH had 54.5" going into the '97 storm. Then 33" from the blizzard.

Yet this ...

The MJO has shown better signs of organization, which is reflected in the observational
RMM index and upper-level velocity potential anomalies depicting the leading edge of the
main convective envelope shifting eastward over Africa and the western Indian Ocean during
the past week.
There is good agreement in the dynamical models favoring continued eastward propagation
of the MJO across the Indian Ocean and into the Maritime Continent during the next two
weeks. Several ensemble members suggest the possible development of a high amplitude
event.
The enhanced phase of the MJO, as well as predicted Kelvin and Rossby wave activity, is
expected to increase chances for tropical cyclone formation mainly over the Indian Ocean
during the next two weeks.
The potential for the MJO to constructively interfere with the low frequency footprint would
favor an extratropical response typical of La Niña, yielding warmer than normal temperatures
across eastern North America later in March.

• Like 1