Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Saturday Snow Squall Discussion/Obs

Sey-Mour Snow

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Second line moving through up here.

BTV Airport showing the M1/4sm visibility for under 1/4 mile.

METAR KBTV 192325Z AUTO 30015G21KT M1/4SM SN

Also, the 5 min obs will also give you the actual vis below 1/4SM.

KBTV 192330Z AUTO 31013KT 1/8SM +SN SQ BKN015 OVC048 M07/M08 A2990 RMK T10701080 MADISHF

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

Kids wanted me to upload the video, so here it is...Dont mind the over dramatic children in the yard, LOL. Watching it spill over the hill was pretty amazing, then the walls of snow were impressive as well.....

Overdramatic kids? That’s what half the posters here sounded like. 

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

Kids wanted me to upload the video, so here it is...Dont mind the over dramatic children in the yard, LOL. Watching it spill over the hill was pretty amazing, then the walls of snow were impressive as well.....

How'd you get your video to fit perfectly with YouTube's x/y (16/9) dimensions? I'm still trying to figure it out.

I briefly observed near whiteout conditions for several minutes despite being fringed by the best returns to my north. I wanted to film a time lapse at Blue Hills' observatory (tower), but decided against it... Bummer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVGridley said:

Here's my video from 4:35 today.  Rutland MA at 1100' MSL.

This is awesome. I think a lot of people had some weather fun today, even the non-interested public.  The cell phone alerts for Snow Squall Warnings, followed by wind/snow for many, with low visibility… it felt like the winter version of a summer cold front.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MegaMike said:

How'd you get your video to fit perfectly with YouTube's x/y (16/9) dimensions? I'm still trying to figure it out.

I briefly observed near whiteout conditions for several minutes despite being fringed by the best returns to my north. I wanted to film a time lapse at Blue Hills' observatory (tower), but decided against it... Bummer. 

That is a great question, I uploaded it directly from my phone without any changes to the file. It's possible that my Samsung did something? 

We were actually fringed here too, but it was still impressive for that short period of time....probably a solid inch just to my south, while we got maybe a half inch. 

Some  high-end brief periods of snow/wind.  These are days when kids can blow like tumbleweeds through the base area.  They assume the athletic stance and enter the white abyss. Trying to keep each other in sight.

The video and noise can really give some texture to the scene.  Wish I could figure out how to post it from groomer JStaff.  The winds were insane with the squalls.  Zero visibility stuff even below 2,000ft.

Squall.jpg.08bc9edae3d7e27e8bd51e8d88f983f5.jpg

Squall2.jpg.e1cd2955ac42ce5e323ba82350cb3ad5.jpg

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is awesome. I think a lot of people had some weather fun today, even the non-interested public.  The cell phone alerts for Snow Squall Warnings, followed by wind/snow for many, with low visibility… it felt like the winter version of a summer cold front.

exactly how I explained it to my kids, like a summer tstorm, my youngest kept asking where the blizzard went, too cute, was awesome little event, winds are now roaring, sounds like a constant plane going over

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Some  high-end brief periods of snow/wind.  These are days when kids can blow like tumbleweeds through the base area.  They assume the athletic stance and enter the white abyss. Trying to keep each other in sight.

The video and noise can really give some texture to the scene.  Wish I could figure out how to post it from groomer JStaff.  The winds were insane with the squalls.  Zero visibility stuff even below 2,000ft.

Squall.jpg.08bc9edae3d7e27e8bd51e8d88f983f5.jpg

Squall2.jpg.e1cd2955ac42ce5e323ba82350cb3ad5.jpg

Great stuff thank you!