Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 24/25 Potential Winter Storm

mikem81

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

It can happen in the right situation. 2/22/08 is around this time of year lol. 12/5/03 is the gold standard. But it’s 2-3:1 for these to be lousy sleet to rain events here while it piles up in Boston because of a lousy high or charging primary that doesn’t transfer in forever. 

was 12/5/03 the two day storm with the Blizzard warning and like 5 miles south of us it was raining?

The second day of the storm was colder, but we underperformed because flake size was small if I remember correctly.  Ended up with 13-14 inches while the middle part of the island got like 20"

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

was 12/5/03 the two day storm with the Blizzard warning and like 5 miles south of us it was raining?

The second day of the storm was colder, but we underperformed because flake size was small if I remember correctly.  Ended up with 13-14 inches while the middle part of the island got like 20"

Yes-it was an overrunning event for the first part on 12/5 that was supposed to be maybe 1-2” to rain, and it ended up being the best part of the overall event around NYC. The rain line got to around Sandy Hook and stopped dead. The coastal storm redevelopment on 12/6 did a lot better in Suffolk County and there were parts that had 20” overall. Long Beach had 12-13” I think. 8” from 12/5, 4-5” from 12/6 because the coastal storm hammered Suffolk County. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

Yeah....it was more I think that the system was a sloppy non consolidated MSLP...the trof that dug into the OHV and MA was crazy deep, ultimately a surface reflection formed off the Delmarva on 12/5 which no model had forecast at all which led to the huge snows that day...there was still a weak low inland and I think thereafter the process of consolidation was all sorts of sloppy so we had two mesoscale areas of snow over C LI and E NJ on 12/6 and nothing in between.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yes-it was an overrunning event for the first part on 12/5 that was supposed to be maybe 1-2” to rain, and it ended up being the best part of the overall event around NYC. The rain line got to around Sandy Hook and stopped dead. The coastal storm redevelopment on 12/6 did a lot better in Suffolk County and there were parts that had 20” overall. Long Beach had 12-13” I think. 8” from 12/5, 4-5” from 12/6 because the coastal storm hammered Suffolk County. 

Thats exactly my memory of it, JFK was in the lead after day one with like 9" on the first day and about 5" on the second day with much colder temps I thought we'd do much better but the second day was a disappointment.  This is also the earliest I've seen temps in the teens.

The first day was the best though and the surprise with that rain/snow line not making it further north coupled with the fact that the heaviest snows are usually just north of that line.

February 2014 was the opposite of that, where the rain snow line made it just north of us-- I'll take a 12/03 over that every time, even with the disappointing second day of the storm, at least it was all snow.

28 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

The 0Z CMC has NYC and points NW at or below freezing most of the storm. LI looks slightly above freezing but we all know the north shore is usually colder than modeled. 

yup and a little wrinkle is that the western part of the south shore can sometimes be below freezing while the eastern part is above freezing.  I've seen it in several events here where it stays below freezing from Oceanside westward and it's above freezing to the east of there.

VD 2007 was one of those events and so was Jan 1994.  March 1993 had 10-12 inches of snow from Oceanside westward, while east of there got only 6"

Just now, MJO812 said:

And the other models have came south so a compromise will most likely happen. 

Interior areas will do well

Maybe a quick front end thump for the city 

They have come in colder but the snow axis basically the same. The gfs once again with a horrible performance in the medium range 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

They have come in colder but the snow axis basically the same. The gfs once again with a horrible performance in the medium range 

You can't say that until the storm actually happens which it hasn't.  The best shot for accumulating snow is interior areas which these storms.

• Like 3

The big CMC upgrade allowed it to move into 2nd place behind the Euro. The UKMET fell back to 3rd and the GFS 4th place. So this matches the 5 day errors we have seen with our storm tracks. The Euro and CMC have been the leaders. The CMC even had that Sunday run back in January which showed the blizzard ahead of the Euro and GFS. 

https://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/users/verification/headlines/acc_31days/

B534DCAE-7685-4387-B65F-CF28B7A38EC4.thumb.png.21a61795cac7621144c11bb3266b7a1d.png

https://dd.weather.gc.ca/doc/genots/2021/11/26/NOCN03_CWAO_262118___50159

MAJOR UPGRADE OF WEATHER AND ENVIRONMENTAL PREDICTION SYSTEMS OF 
THE METEOROLOGICAL SERVICE OF CANADA

ON DECEMBER 1, 2021, THE CANADIAN METEOROLOGICAL CENTRE (CMC) OF 
THE METEOROLOGICAL SERVICE OF CANADA (MSC) WILL IMPLEMENT MAJOR 
UPGRADES TO ITS WEATHER AND ENVIRONMENTAL PREDICTION SYSTEMS. THESE 
UPDATES ARE THE RESULT OF OVER TWO YEARS OF RESEARCH, DEVELOPMENT, 
AND TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER AND WILL PERMIT THE ADDITION OF OVER 170 
INNOVATIONS IN SOME 31 ATMOSPHERIC, OCEANIC, HYDROLOGICAL, AND 
SURFACE FORECASTING SYSTEMS.

FOR DETAILED INFORMATION ON THE INNOVATIONS AND THE RESULTING 
IMPACTS ON SERVICES THAT ARE REALIZED WITH THESE UPGRADES, PLEASE 
REFER TO THE MSC OPEN DATA WEB PORTAL AT THE FOLLOWING LINK (IN 
LOWER CASE): 
HTTPS://ECCC-MSC.GITHUB.IO/OPEN-DATA/MSC-DATA/CHANGELOG_NWP_EN/

• Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Agreed. This has I-84 snow special written all over it. No -NAO block and it’s just going to continue to trend north as we get closer. I don’t see much of a front end thump either, there is going to be a very strong midlevel warm punch….which the models almost always underestimate badly. I really don’t think there’s going to be much snow south of I-84. And as far as the GFS goes, it’s pathetic. It’s been abysmal to the point of comedy for months now 

• Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Agreed. This has I-84 snow special written all over it. No -NAO block and it’s just going to continue to trend north as we get closer. I don’t see much of a front end thump either, there is going to be a very strong midlevel warm punch….which the models almost always underestimate badly. I really don’t think there’s going to be much snow south of I-84. And as far as the GFS goes, it’s pathetic. It’s been abysmal to the point of comedy for months now 

You can say the same for every model. All the models have been a joke.

• Like 1

I Look at the guidance and try my best to understand it along with what you ladies and gents post but with 4 or 5 days until the event I do not lock anything in as we all know that the solutions can and will change many times between now and Thursday. Same is to be said for the long range which shows March coming in like a lion = it's over 10 days away and I do not take the guidance as gospel especially when IMO most of the guidance this year has been erratic to say the least 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Eps went north

We can never win here in the city. Worse place for winter .

They only average 28-30" and that's after the past 20 years of well above normal snows. 

Additionally this storm is still many days away so don't count your chickens yet.

Personally I'm ready for spring and welcome the mild weather. I don't care for minor snow events that will melt the next day. Either go big or go home. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

They only average 28-30" and that's after the past 20 years of well above normal snows. 

Additionally this storm is still many days away so don't count your chickens yet.

Personally I'm ready for spring and welcome the mild weather. I don't care for minor snow events that will melt the next day. Either go big or go home. 

This