Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 24/25 Potential Winter Storm

mikem81

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Since when did you become so negative? Is this an all out snow storm for NYC? No. But can we tack a couple inches (including sleet) on to seasonal totals? Yes. I also look at things from a snow removal and overtime lens. 

Who is negative? It's about not living in a fantasy land.

What is stopping this from going more north? SWFE storms usually trend north.  The primary isn't dying out like past gfs runs had it.  You aren't getting a snow event in NYC with a primary to PA.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Who is negative? It's about not living in a fantasy land.

What is stopping this from going more north? SWFE storms usually trend north.  The primary isn't dying out like past gfs runs had it.  You aren't getting a snow event in NYC with a primary to PA.

Again, I’m looking to pad totals and do some snow removal $$$$$$. That’s still a likely scenario. We have cold offshore water temps and some decent cold to start the event. I’m looking for 2-4” including sleet before a change to rain then dry slot. I bet there is snow on the ground Friday. I’m also in the far Nw part of the city, I can see the Gwb from campus. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Again, I’m looking to pad totals and do some snow removal $$$$$$. That’s still a likely scenario. We have cold offshore water temps and some decent cold to start the event. I’m looking for 2-4” including sleet before a change to rain then dry slot. I bet there is snow on the ground Friday. I’m also in the far Nw part of the city, I can see the Gwb from campus. 

It's certainly possible for the precip to come in faster than modeled with these storms.

There still needs to be more of a north shift than even the 12Z GFS in the end to avoid big icing problems for a large part of the area...its never good when at 96 hours even the low res in terms of seeing cold air GFS has FZRA down to EWR-HPN..that tells you in reality if that exact scenario unfolded it would be a good 30 miles south of that if not more 

Upton 

Cold 1040mb high pressure remains anchored over Ontario on Thursday,
a day that now looks to be mostly dry locally, with increasing
clouds by later in the day. Models have again trended slightly north
and have slowed the system for Thursday-Friday. Surface low pressure
develops across the mid south, and heads through the OH Valley ahead
of the aforementioned upper trough. With a weaker system overall and
better dynamics to the north, models continue to bring a warm front
north later Thursday and develop a secondary low along it by Friday
morning.  This low becomes the primary system as the mid trough
approaches the coast by later on Friday, and deepens as it moves
north of the region. This scenario would yield a general snow to
rain ptype change across the area, with a transition to a wintry mix
in between, starting late Thursday into Fri afternoon. QPF for the
event is looking like a broad 0.5-1" across the area, with NBM IQR a
bit higher, between about 0.6" and 1.25". Accumulating snow would be
most likely across the interior where the changeover would be
slowest. WPC maintains a 50% probability of advisory level snow
here, with a 30% chance for NYC south and east. NBM v4.1 has
maintained its snow exceedance trend this evening, with about a 30-
35% prob of >6" across the far interior, with 5-20% across the
remainder of the CWA, which is similar to its previous few cycles.
As a reminder, low track and intensity uncertainty plays into the
ptype uncertainty and changes to this scenario are likely, and
expected, as we are still 4-5 days out.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

CMC just came in colder than last night's run. Quite a bit of sleet and freezing rain. The chance of getting snow from this event is fading, but ice is another story. If it happens, hopefully we'll get more sleet than freezing rain.

Quite colder

6213bf43c0c29.png

6213bfac02666.png

Looked at the 12z GFS very quickly.

The primary makes it to around Albany before transferring to the coast. Seems like a classic late developing miller B.

Coastal develops so late that really only Central and Northern New England cash in.

The ice threat looks minimal as unlike the last storm, temperatures are warming at the surface.

You do have that 1036mb high over SE Canada but it's retreating and not far enough South. We would have wanted it over Northern New England.

850mb freezing line moves well North after 12z Friday.

Anyone North of the 0c line on this frame is good for about a 6 hour period of Snow changing to sleet and then some freezing rain before everyone flips over to plain rain. South of this is mostly sleet/ice changing to plain rain.

Even over Rockland sounding show the surface around 30 which won't be cold enough to cause significant icing issues, especially since it will be short lived.

If you look at the trend for the last four runs, it did actually hang onto the cold air longer after trending warmer the last two runs. 

Still time to go but we're a long way away from a big snow storm South of I-84.

gfs_T850_neus_17.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

I’m 20 miles north of 84 and the warm cmc gives me 6 inches. I’m not buying the sleetfest for everybody. Places north of NYC and south of 84 will see some snow before changeover. 

Look at the soundings, that is definitely not snow south of I-84, it’s sleet at best with that midlevel warm nose and almost all of the time those warm noses are badly underestimated not overdone by the models 

• Weenie 4

36 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Look at the soundings, that is definitely not snow south of I-84, it’s sleet at best with that midlevel warm nose and almost all of the time those warm noses are badly underestimated not overdone by the models 

The soundings for the CMC are 6 hour increments. The CMC which is the warmest of the models still gives a couple inches well south of 84. How many times have we seen precip come in faster than modeled and a cold arctic high underestimated by models? How many? The moderate/heavy snows will likely be north of 84 but it's very plausible to see snow south of 84. Look at the 12z's, every model gives anywhere from 1-4 north of NYC up to 84.