Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 24/25 Potential Winter Storm

mikem81

4 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

Northern long Island fairs far better at marginal winter time events and holding onto frozen precip a little longer versus south lie.  Will all depend on on fast temps rise I guess. 

Same with Northern NYC vs Southern NYC, wouldn't be surprised if north of the Cross Bronx is pingling for hours while JFK is pouring.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Agreed here. The GFS is still the cold outlier. That model is just a really horrible anymore. None of the other models, RGEM, CMC, NAM, UKMET, ICON, Euro/EPS look anything like it. There’s a reason why it’s ranked at #4

Didn't both the Ukie and Euro show over 4 inches of snow for your area at 0Z lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Agreed here. The GFS is still the cold outlier. That model is just a really horrible anymore. None of the other models, RGEM, CMC, NAM, UKMET, ICON, Euro/EPS look anything like it. There’s a reason why it’s ranked at #4

BS. The Euro and Ukie looked similar except for Long Island where they had a few inches. You still think no snow south of 84? 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

43 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Is it true that the Ukie 10:1 pivotal maps count sleet as snow?

Yes they do, that is not snow on that Ukie map, it’s grossly overdone, counting sleet as snow. I suspect the new Euro comes in warmer given what it did at 6z. Nothing at all has changed since yesterday, it is still a non event for snow south of I-84. It’s a ping-fest at best south of 84

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 3

The 12z GFS was actually very close to showing a lot more snow for places like NNJ. Where it's showing sleet at the surface, the soundings show that we do have a warm nose around 750mb but at best it might be +1C. More warm air arrives after 12z but a good 0.5"+ of liquid falls between 06z and 12z.

gfs_2022022212_072_41.0--74.0.png

• Like 1

Just now, snowman19 said:

Yes they do, that is not snow on that Ukie map, it’s grossly overdone, counting sleet as snow. I suspect the new Euro comes in warmer given what it did at 6z. Nothing at all has changed since yesterday, it is still a non event for snow south of I-84. It’s a ping-fest at best south of 84

A pingfest is still better than a washout IMO. 

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The 12z GFS was actually very close to showing a lot more snow for places like NNJ. Where it's showing sleet at the surface, the soundings show that we do have a warm nose around 750mb but at best it might be +1C. More warm air arrives after 12z but a good 0.5"+ of liquid falls between 06z and 12z.

gfs_2022022212_072_41.0--74.0.png

Hence the sleet and snow precip type description. The maps don't really depict mixing precip types. 

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Pivotal weather maps don't count sleet as snow for the most part with other models. Where are your sources about UKIE snow maps including sleet? Funny how the NWS has nearly 3 inches in Rockland by 12z Friday. You might want to give them a call and let them know your thoughts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Some models are showing a heavy ZR area near the city and north shore especially. RGEM would be an ice storm warning level event. 

If the sleet before the ZR sticks at all things could get real hazardous. Hopefully the ZR ends up a minimal amount

13 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Some models are showing a heavy ZR area near the city and north shore especially. RGEM would be an ice storm warning level event. 

As with every setup like this it usually trends more so snow or sleet to rain near the coast. However we did already have one ZR event this winter and we have a 1040+ high so its possible.