Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 16-17th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

22 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

Seems like this didn’t happen as much growing up, but I remember a few times where 6-10” was forecast and woke up to less than a dusting on the ground.

There is people around here 40 years old who have never seen a 18+ event. That's crazy. PD I ( Feb 79 east coast ) is what got me going. Ofcourse there was more like it after till I left in 2002 and has been more to this day. Oh what I wouldn't give to see 2-3 inch hr rates again for more then 5 minutes. 

This was never modeled to be a big dog but damn. 

Long live 13-14 and GHD ll. Ofcourse that event that a few days out I do recall models showing 20+ across this area. I still have alot of the model output for that on my computer. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

There is people around here 40 years old who have never seen a 18+ event. That's crazy. PD I ( Feb 79 east coast ) is what got me going. Ofcourse there was more like it after till I left in 2002 and has been more to this day. Oh what I wouldn't give to see 2-3 inch hr rates again for more then 5 minutes. 

Long live 13-14 and GHD ll. Ofcourse that event that a few days out I do recall models showing 20+ across this area. I still have alot of the model output for that on my computer. 

It would be nice if I could come on this forum and go a one full day without somebody bringing up damn ghd2 lol.

Edit ghd1 2011. 2014 still sucked too.

24 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

Seems like this didn’t happen as much growing up, but I remember a few times where 6-10” was forecast and woke up to less than a dusting on the ground.

I think it was November 1997 when there was a Winter Storm Warning for 6-9 inches of snow here for the next day. This was back when The Weather Channel had the NWS forecast on the local forecast and that was how I saw the NWS forecast as I didn’t have the internet yet at the time. So the next morning I woke up to find the Winter Storm Warning gone and a forecast of 1-3 inches. We never had a flake from that storm. The Detroit area ended up getting the 6-9 inches and the northern edge made it up to around Flint where they got a couple of inches. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, roardog said:

I think it was November 1997 when there was a Winter Storm Warning for 6-9 inches of snow here for the next day. This was back when The Weather Channel had the NWS forecast on the local forecast and that was how I saw the NWS forecast as I didn’t have the internet yet at the time. So the next morning I woke up to find the Winter Storm Warning gone and a forecast of 1-3 inches. We never had a flake from that storm. The Detroit area ended up getting the 6-9 inches and the northern edge made it up to around Flint where they got a couple of inches. 

I remember this. This was one of the events I remembered. The other was 2005-6ish. Dry air infiltration completely demolished the deformation zone snows with a sharp cut-off. Literally nothing but virga and a sharp NE wind. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

Heck, I think I've only seen Hail maybe 3 times with a thunderstorm. Two of those times it was stray stones mixed in with rain.

And as far as thundersnow, I've only seen it 2 times (one of which was with a LES squall).

I'm not exactly a spring chicken either.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

Those rates would be niiiiice.

I’m 33 and think the biggest system I can recall is GHDII. Seems like there were big ones all the time when I was young, but when you’re only 3’ tall… doesn’t take much to have snow up to your knees. 

But yeah, this system… this one is exciting. Loved how GRR stated this to be a high end advisory yesterday, yet issued a warning today and will likely bust (unless these short range ensembles are correct). They’ll never issue a watch or warning here again. Ever.  

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Heck, I think I've only seen Hail maybe 3 times with a thunderstorm. Two of those times it was stray stones mixed in with rain.

And as far as thundersnow, I've only seen it 2 times (one of which was with a LES squall).

I'm not exactly a spring chicken either.

Severe wx and especially hail I cannot complain about here as far as hail and high winds go. Ofcourse tornadoes can stay away. Lol  but yeah there has been a few decent hailers the past 5 years or so here. One hailer did 1,000s in damage to my vehicle though. Thank you insurance. This place does decent with wind and hail. 

Thundersnow is awesome especially if you are outside when it happens. My first experience with it was with what was called the megalopolis Strom in Feb 1983. Over 20 imby with that. Talk about being wowed when that happened. Besides that it was a daytime event as well. 

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

GFS keeps moving south, what a garbage system and/or garbage model.

I've about had it with this system lol.  Still going to look at the models of course but now we are getting to the point when we can watch upstream radar and obs to see how things are going.

11 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

Those rates would be niiiiice.

I’m 33 and think the biggest system I can recall is GHDII. Seems like there were big ones all the time when I was young, but when you’re only 3’ tall… doesn’t take much to have snow up to your knees. 

But yeah, this system… this one is exciting. Loved how GRR stated this to be a high end advisory yesterday, yet issued a warning today and will likely bust (unless these short range ensembles are correct). They’ll never issue a watch or warning here again. Ever.  

Lol. You got that right with GRR. Ofcourse the amounts shown by them ( unless something has changed? ) are not warning amounts anyways. Thought I recall 8+ in 12hrs was the criteria here? 

Anyways this has turned into a huge turd and as said can keep going south and totally miss as far as I am concerned. Ofcourse I know it won't and there will be just enough to screw up the roads etc. 

• Haha 1