• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

4 years ago today. This ended up one of the biggest storms W CT has seen in a long time and a good chunk of the state received over 10". The forecast for this one worked out pretty well i remember. Most of it fell at night while during the day, at low elevations it was mostly white rain...then all hell broke loose. In my town we got the most intense CG thundersnow ive seen since 2001 with multiple strikes just a few hundred feet away. Rates reached up to 4" per hour. 

03.06.18_snow_forecast_1.jpg

03.08.18_snow_totals.jpg

28938373_10100495979894692_1275181449_o.jpg

DXu3B9iVAAA5XWv.jpg

DXxnCENXUAAs4_j.jpg

DXxXmrJX4AE4hSj.jpg

https_%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fmarshallshepherd%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F03%2FDXtVj1nVoAEVgep.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 2013 firehose storm was great

Mar8_915amRadar.gif.1cdf807e58ec9812bb12c8eb5fabc468.gifMar8_ORH7.jpg.c74e2cc98cfdf1491af7f218116114e8.jpgMar8_ORH1.jpg.e1b80f680f9301ad9b82b5a963c62c86.jpgMar8_ORH3.jpg.2770734aeffdb7fbe89370c29a4ad5d4.jpgMar8_ORH6.jpg.c41b114ac19ab28abcedfeb31c405807.jpg

I had to drive my wife to a doctor's appointment from Pepperell to Cambridge. Thought we'd be leaving in snow, but by time we got there it'd be over (at least that was the forecast). When we got to Cambridge it was still puking dendrites and I thought to myself....something is going on here. When we left here Doctor's and it was still just pouring snow, I knew something great was happening.

• Like 1

That was a great storm here (3/13/18)…measured 24”. That was on top of the 3/7-8/18 paste job…we had a monster pack after the 3/13 storm. 

Also today is the 29th anniversary of the 1993 superstorm. Hard to believe it’s been almost 30 years. I remember that storm well. I was in 6th grade and the official forecast was for 8-16”….we ended up with 20” despite not being in the CCB/deformation. It was the most ridiculous WCB I’ve been in. It was basically 12 hours of front-end heavy snow. The front end stuff started when the low was still down in the gulf states. It was so expansive. 

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That was a great storm here (3/13/18)…measured 24”. That was on top of the 3/7-8/18 paste job…we had a monster pack after the 3/13 storm. 

Also today is the 29th anniversary of the 1993 superstorm. Hard to believe it’s been almost 30 years. I remember that storm well. I was in 6th grade and the official forecast was for 8-16”….we ended up with 20” despite not being in the CCB/deformation. It was the most ridiculous WCB I’ve been in. It was basically 12 hours of front-end heavy snow. The front end stuff started when the low was still down in the gulf states. It was so expansive. 

I saw a foot and had 5 inches of that as sleet. The worst pelting ever. Winds to 70 mph with sleet. Just incredible 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Didn’t do the 6hr cores back then, but we had 18”’of new depth. I remember watching TWC before it started up here and they kept losing their signal from power issues in Atlanta. We haven’t seen a storm like that since. 

This also was after a foot on March 3rd. Then another 3/4 inches the next week. That sleet snow combo survived 2 big rain storms. I distinctly remember laying on the quad at URI at the end of the month shirtless on the snow with temps in the 70s. Epic month

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

March 13 2018. 18.5 inches. Started as paste which brought down trees then became a high ratio snow

FB_IMG_1647177082461.jpg

20180314_103959.jpg

Mar_13_2018_Snow_box.png

f75e1dfc-3b4a-4b61-9d28-4c6d9cb12f17-large16x9_2_15pmVis_March13.jpeg

Surprising storm here in SW CT. Was expecting 1 to 3 of slop but received 9.5 of fluff. That western band over performed for sure. Feel bad for CT valley though. 

No 10"+ snowstorm is bad, not even late Feb 2010, but the Superstorm was a bit of a disappointment at our (then) Gardiner home, 10.3" of heavily rimed 6:1 flakey things, among the lowest totals in New England.  Far more had been forecast and it was supposed to continue well into Sunday, but it tapered to occasional flakes well before dawn.  Warm nose then dryslot?   One memorable observation was at 8 AM Sunday, when BGR was flat calm while Mt. Desert Rock was gusting near 70 about 50 miles SE.

17 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I forgot to post my fav pic from the 3/13/18 storm earlier…this was me on the deck after shoveling. Snow wasn’t done yet at this point either  prob picked up another inch or two of fluff  

A7C0BBDE-1D8D-41D3-8189-7E259B75033A.jpeg

Great pic.  "Only" 16.5" here, but a tick under 20 the week before, earlier-month version of 2001 when 35" fell 3/22-31.  Odd temp trend considering wx and calendar, as 3/1-15 was +5.6° and 16-31 was -3.6°, and was nearly 3° colder than the first half.  Would not be surprising in Jan/Feb but even here March snowfall amounts are moving from midwinter qpf-dependent to springlike temp-dependent.

Today is the 5 year anni of the Pi Day storm. Ended up trending NW last minute and took major snowfall NYC/LI/CT off the table. We pounded snow for about 6 hours then mixed with and changed to sleet around 1030AM. Snow/sleet mix was some of the heaviest ive ever seen with rates up to 3-4"/hr. Ended with 9.9 in just a few hours.

03.12.17_snow_forecast_UPDATED.jpg

03.12.17_snow_totals.jpg

RAD_KOKX_N0R_ANI (3).gif

RAD_MOS_REG_NE_WINTER_ANI (4).gif

The 2017 storm was one of the better front enders I’ve been in. We had about 14-15” and most of it fell in about 5-6 hours. Very good rates. We never actually changed over to sleet even though I thought we would. Just got mid-level dryslotted and went to cruddy flakes and snow grains. It was a very meaty snow though. Prob 10 to 1 ratios at most. The snow pack easily stuck around until the very end of the month. 

On 3/13/2022 at 4:39 PM, ORH_wxman said:

Some good radar shots from that storm too

Man those loops are epic. That was the fluffiest big event I can remember. I had over 2ft, but we lost a few inches of pack before it even stopped snowing. Less than week after getting the 15" paster. Heck of stretch. 

18 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Man those loops are epic. That was the fluffiest big event I can remember. I had over 2ft, but we lost a few inches of pack before it even stopped snowing. Less than week after getting the 15" paster. Heck of stretch. 

Yeah that was a sweet couple of storms. I rode that snowpack into the first couple days of April iirc. prob my best March since 2001. Though 2013 was close. 

14 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 2017 storm was one of the better front enders I’ve been in. We had about 14-15” and most of it fell in about 5-6 hours. Very good rates. We never actually changed over to sleet even though I thought we would. Just got mid-level dryslotted and went to cruddy flakes and snow grains. It was a very meaty snow though. Prob 10 to 1 ratios at most. The snow pack easily stuck around until the very end of the month. 

Meaty for sure - we had 15.5" from 2.12" LE of all snow at 15-22°.  Dendrites looked decent but maybe the wind destroyed them at ground level; there certainly was lots of wind slab to challenge the snowblower.  10" fell 4-9 PM with vis 1/8 between gusts, 50-100' in the wind.  Only have had 4 events meeting all blizz criteria and this was the most recent and had the strongest winds.  We're well sheltered in the woods but this storm had to have featured gusts near 50.  Our Lab-mix rescue from TX had arrived Feb 4 and quickly learned to like snow, but wind and noise of this storm terrorized her -on her evening poop-walk she tried to glue herself to the storm door but I coaxed/dragged her far enough from the house to do her business.

2016-17 featured 4 wintery events with ~2" LE, one in each month Dec-Mar.  The Jan storm was 4.5" of kitchen sink but the others brought 21" (twice) and the blizzard.  I doubt I'll ever experience another winter with 4 storms totaling 8.15" LE and 62" snow.

• Like 1

I was in Winooski, VT for the Pi Day storm 3/14-15 2017. It was the single greatest snowfall I have witnessed. I wish I still lived there. It was the first and only time I have witnessed a 30 inch event. Peak snowfall rate was 5 inches an hour.

pi7.jpg

pi6.jpg

pi5.jpg

pi4.jpg

Pi3.jpg

Pi2.jpg

Pi1.jpg

• Like 1