• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

The bomb cyclone, and the Ginxy Gravity wave storm of 1994 anniversary today.  That storm in '94 was pretty crazy. I had about 6-8" IIRC, but it flipped to a mix. But those winds from the g-wave came out of nowhere. Like 20-30...then to 60 all of the sudden. Lasted a few min then gone. 

30 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The bomb cyclone, and the Ginxy Gravity wave storm of 1994 anniversary today.  That storm in '94 was pretty crazy. I had about 6-8" IIRC, but it flipped to a mix. But those winds from the g-wave came out of nowhere. Like 20-30...then to 60 all of the sudden. Lasted a few min then gone. 

This one is pretty underrated too...gets overshadowed by the blizzard a few days later, but I had like 14-15" from this one:

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1996/us0103.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1996/us0104.php

That's a man high.

59 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This one is pretty underrated too...gets overshadowed by the blizzard a few days later, but I had like 14-15" from this one:

That's a man high.

That's true, a good one for sure.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

What I remember about Jan 94 was an absurdly cold month with nearly 7 inches of precip yet only 24 of snow. Two mega cutters in an extreme cold pattern.  Feb was great though. Jan 94 could have been a Feb 15 with some luck.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

What I remember about Jan 94 was an absurdly cold month with nearly 7 inches of precip yet only 24 of snow. Two mega cutters in an extreme cold pattern.  Feb was great though. Jan 94 could have been a Feb 15 with some luck.

Decent amount of sleet in your hood in Jan 94 too which also kept the snow totals down just a bit. I had closer to 3 feet that month....plus a good amount of icing on the front end of both cutters.

48 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Decent amount of sleet in your hood in Jan 94 too which also kept the snow totals down just a bit. I had closer to 3 feet that month....plus a good amount of icing on the front end of both cutters.

Yea still though what could have been. Had that epic epic ice storm as well. 9 degrees and pouring rain. 

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea still though what could have been. Had that epic epic ice storm as well. 9 degrees and pouring rain. 

Yeah only thing that kept it from being a top 3 alltimer for me was the big thaw in February and maybe that we didn't get a true top end storm....it was still a grade A winter though. The brutal cold day after day in January with deep snow pack was a caricature of deep winter....it was great.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah only thing that kept it from being a top 3 alltimer for me was the big thaw in February and maybe that we didn't get a true top end storm....it was still a grade A winter though. The brutal cold day after day in January with deep snow pack was a caricature of deep winter....it was great.

I was live on air on TWC with Cantore during the ice storm. Cool memories. He called RI state Climatologist Carl Sawyer, who I interned with, and he gave Jim my number.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I was live on air on TWC with Cantore during the ice storm. Cool memories. He called RI state Climatologist Carl Sawyer, who I interned with, and he gave Jim my number.

I was just recalling how brutally cold that month was and then I was thinking how funny it was that February 2015 was like a full 1.5F colder than Jan 1994, lol. Not for temp departure either....raw temp average. Jan '94 had 7 sub-20F high temps.....Feb '15 had 9 of them (in a month that is harder to get them too). Each month had 10 days of 0F lows or colder. Of course, Feb '15 easily takes the cake for snowfall....lol

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Coldest month on record for northern Maine - Fort Kent averaged 9/-19 that month - and Farmington's #2, slightly behind Jan 1982.  We missed or fringed the big Feb storms but at Gardiner we had 38" in January and 93-94 was tops in SDDs among our 13 winters there.  The storm of 1/17-18 was the only time I've seen light towers; at the time (about 11-midnight on the 17th) we had heavily rimed SN+ at about 5° while RKD had 40s, RA and howling SE wind.  The BGR-Newport area had 8-10" followed by 1/2-3/4" RA then temp plunged from 42 to -14 in less than 24 hours.  I-95 in that section had immovable ice chunks that made it dangerous to drive more than 20 mph and would loosen one's fillings at any speed.  BGR hit -24 on the 20th and even the big graders could only scrape a teeny bit off the top of the icebergs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's a man high.

That was a good one. I remember right after we finished our plow routes some of us decided to go back out the next day and try to push everything back further... very good thing we did! 

11 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was just recalling how brutally cold that month was and then I was thinking how funny it was that February 2015 was like a full 1.5F colder than Jan 1994, lol. Not for temp departure either....raw temp average. Jan '94 had 7 sub-20F high temps.....Feb '15 had 9 of them (in a month that is harder to get them too). Each month had 10 days of 0F lows or colder. Of course, Feb '15 easily takes the cake for snowfall....lolS

I remember the night when it was 9 with ZR at ORH while teens and S+ imby.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Still sticking with that F grade from last season? Really only a 14-15" delta from last season to 20-21 which you proclaimed as solid. This one puts last season to shame. 

Yes, but I can’t remember half my grades.

An F is an F whether you end the semester with a 55 or 0. No curve here. :lol: 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Closing in on one of the most region wide impactful blizzards that I can recall since '78. Between the 4-5"/hr mothballs falling in CT and the widespread tree damage that IMO has yet to be rivaled across SE MA...this was truly a special event. 

20 year anniversary today of a different event. Big positive bust. Can’t believe it was 20 years ago. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

20 year anniversary today of a different event. Big positive bust. Can’t believe it was 20 years ago. 

We need Cory.

Yeah that was a good WTF moment. Still some of the best, pristine snow growth I've ever seen. It was also a moment where I realized models aren't the best with QPF and to look more at the mid levels.

On 2/7/2023 at 3:57 PM, CoastalWx said:

Closing in on one of the most region wide impactful blizzards that I can recall since '78. Between the 4-5"/hr mothballs falling in CT and the widespread tree damage that IMO has yet to be rivaled across SE MA...this was truly a special event. 

Can’t believe it’s been 10 years already.

That was a really awesome storm… especially since we were going on like 2 years since we had seen much winter weather here. That was a horrific stretch from Feb 11 to Feb 13