Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

On 2/9/2023 at 2:34 PM, ORH_wxman said:

6 years ago today was a good one in 2017

Feb9_930amRadar.gif.de9ec90fa7f7abbdfe7c392b3ed0f536.gifFeb9_1134amRadar.gif.81219a548d6e77e569739196f7d29798.gifFeb9_117pmRadar.gif.b5b89b2b22433e2fdd17500d73c814e1.gifFeb9_317pmRadar.gif.e29e0e701068b17faeafa8f6013caa1b.gif

We got 4.6" from the northern edge, better than the 1-3 forecast.  Then 2/11 added 8" of 31-to-1 feathers with temp in the singles, followed by the winter's 2nd 21" dump on 12-13.  That brought the pack to 47" and the morning forecast on 2/15 was for 12-16" - easy 50s pack with an outside chance at 60" on the way.  not.  As first flakes were falling, the afternoon forecast dropped to 6-10, which was eked into verification with a 6.2" total, post-storm pack 46" as the wind did some scouring near the stake.  Then Feb 17-28 ran 11.5° A, chopping the pack by half.
Our rescue Lab mix from TX arrived on Feb 4, perhaps never having experienced snow, then saw 45" in her first 2 weeks here.  (And was even more terrified by the pi-day blizzard.  Like all Labs, she loves snow now.)

On 2/10/2023 at 2:47 AM, The 4 Seasons said:

Yeah it was probably in my top 5 all time, thunder snow here to boot. 

I also it was one of the easiest most straight forward storms to forecast, ever. Every model was in agreement and run to run consistency was great. Went 10-18, and the state ended up with a pretty uniform 10-18 with one 19 report in EHa. 

box.png

C4OO-BWW8AECmOc.jpg

02.09.17_jdj_snowfall_totals.jpg

My town was the jackpot for a storm???? And had 19”?????

Unbelievable :lol: 

Man that was epic. The mid level magic event. When all the models showed a great H7 look, soundings good, but little QPF. I think it was the RGEM that showed ern areas may get crushed.  
Still the heaviest snow I’ve ever driven in going to work at 5a. Had to follow the guardrail on the X-Way to know when there would be turns because vis was about 100’. Arrived to work to see Cantore in an MCS in Plymouth. 

Underrated event for Bob’s area to EWB. 20-23” there in a matter of hours. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Can't believe it's been 8 years already. This was a pretty bad bust W of 91. 2" of overrunning then it was done. Missed the Ivt and main storm to the east. 

02.14.15_jdj_snowfall_totals (1).jpg

04.JPG

03.gif

That Winter was so amazing that although we missed out on the bullseye on so many storms, we still ended up with way above average snowfall totals WOR!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Man that was epic. The mid level magic event. When all the models showed a great H7 look, soundings good, but little QPF. I think it was the RGEM that showed ern areas may get crushed.  
Still the heaviest snow I’ve ever driven in going to work at 5a. Had to follow the guardrail on the X-Way to know when there would be turns because vis was about 100’. Arrived to work to see Cantore in an MCS in Plymouth. 

Underrated event for Bob’s area to EWB. 20-23” there in a matter of hours. 

Feb_14-15_2015_Snow_Anal_box.png

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Can't believe it's been 8 years already. This was a pretty bad bust W of 91. 2" of overrunning then it was done. Missed the Ivt and main storm to the east. 

04.JPG

03.gif

I was in DC, and that mega front that went through was one of the greatest winter events I’ve experienced.

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

@HIPPYVALLEY just smashed his Tandy after seeing that map.

VD massacre for the GYX staff.  Our area was blizzard-warned for the 24 hours before the storm began.  When their afternoon AFD chopped forecast snow from 18-24 to 12-18, I wondered what was going on.  By the 11 PM news, the massive bust for all but the coast had become obvious.  1.5" here (4th event that season to verify at just 1/8 of what would be needed for verification), 12"+ southern Maine coast, 25" at 20' asl in Machias.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

VD massacre for the GYX staff.  Our area was blizzard-warned for the 24 hours before the storm began.  When their afternoon AFD chopped forecast snow from 18-24 to 12-18, I wondered what was going on.  By the 11 PM news, the massive bust for all but the coast had become obvious.  1.5" here (4th event that season to verify at just 1/8 of what would be needed for verification), 12"+ southern Maine coast, 25" at 20' asl in Machias.

That was a bad bust. Guidance was too focused on the WAA delivering the precip and seemed to underestimate the explosive nature of the deepening mid level lows. That was a sub 500 Hpa low going under SNE. Unheard of really. One would wonder if the anomalous nature of that just did not play well with model guidance.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I remember that vividly and Scott (CoastalWx) and I were talking about why so much QPF was being thrown inland on guidance leading up to it. We were legimately puzzled because the upper air and mid-levels didn’t really support that type of QPF layout. We theorized that because heights were so obscenely low in that event, perhaps it was giving guidance trouble  because the temp gradients and lapse rates were so obscene (hydrostatic models would have more trouble with extreme lapse rates)…but that was just a theory. Who knows the real reason.

It was the RGEM that showed the potential bust up there first along with the positive bust down in eastern MA about 24-36 hours before the event. RGEM had its random hall of fame season that year…we joke it was like Brady Anderson’s 50 HR season in 1996….it also absolutely nailed the death band in the Jan 2015 blizzard along 495-ORH-Ginxy along with red flags in western SNE and then nailed the redevelopment and prolonging of the Feb 2nd event that year. 

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I remember that vividly and Scott (CoastalWx) and I were talking about why so much QPF was being thrown inland on guidance leading up to it. We were legimately puzzled because the upper air and mid-levels didn’t really support that type of QPF layout. We theorized that because heights were so obscenely low in that event, perhaps it was giving guidance trouble  because the temp gradients and lapse rates were so obscene (hydrostatic models would have more trouble with extreme lapse rates)…but that was just a theory. Who knows the real reason.

It was the RGEM that showed the potential bust up there first along with the positive bust down in eastern MA about 24-36 hours before the event. RGEM had its random hall of fame season that year…we joke it was like Brady Anderson’s 50 HR season in 1996….it also absolutely nailed the death band in the Jan 2015 blizzard along 495-ORH-Ginxy along with red flags in western SNE and then nailed the redevelopment and prolonging of the Feb 2nd event that year. 

Doesn't get any more unstable than this. Go up moist adiabatically from 900mb and you can just envision the MUCAPE. TTs 61 lol.

2015021512.74494.skewt.parc.gif

13 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

04.JPG

03.gif

Epic storm in Boston. Pretty unique radar evolution with a band swinging through up into coastal Maine, throwing on the brakes, then coming right back south.

Cambr2015.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Since its the 5-year anniversary, i thought id post a few images. This was an incredible storm. Pretty much a 6-hour window or maybe even a bit less of heavy snow, several CG strikes locally that sounded like a summer-time severe storm with loud convective claps and snowfall rates of 2-3"/hr. We picked up about 13.5" from around 330pm to 930pm. Western CT had a truly historic event with 22-28" while the SE corner got hardly anything with an inch or two, quite the gradient. Here's the updated map i just did a couple months ago....

03_07.18_jdj_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.6b6a50c9b4a84ae00d7312072a4fbeca.jpg

28938373_10100495979894692_1275181449_o.jpg

DXxnCENXUAAs4_j.jpg

DXu3B9iVAAA5XWv.jpg

RAD_KOKX_N0R_ANI (1).gif

RAD_MOS_STATE_NJ_L2NCR_ANI (4).gif

thk_f030_bg_ne.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1