Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That was a great storm. I had about 20” in that. That month was crazy. 

were you able to open the pic? i just realized it didn't embed, anyway it was a pic of about 18 during the storm on my grill, I stayed up all night for that one, and delayed a job interview because of it.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Ha don't remember that one.

Oh that was the big fluffer bust. Like Walpole to Taunton had 8”+ when the forecast was like 2-4”. A thin band late that evening started from me to Ginxy and nobody else was snowing. Then things finally expanded overnight  and it went to town over SE areas with pristine snow growth and it ended maybe middle of next morning. Almost a mini 2/7/03. 

56 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Oh that was the big fluffer bust. Like Walpole to Taunton had 8”+ when the forecast was like 2-4”. A thin band late that evening started from me to Ginxy and nobody else was snowing. Then things finally expanded overnight  and it went to town over SE areas with pristine snow growth and it ended maybe middle of next morning. Almost a mini 2/7/03. 

I think I vaguely remember that. It was definitely more SW of me.

6 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

6 years ago today, the surprise snowstorm of Jan 30th 2018. I remember fxs were for a coating-1" in eastern CT and just generally snow showers overnight. No headlines, no watches or warnings and no road crews out. We ended up with a warning event for eastern CT with 20-30:1 ratios.

01.30.18_jdj_snowfall_totals.jpg

1Capture.JPG

RAD_MOS_REG_NE_L2NCR_ANI.gif

How much for Southbury?

On 1/30/2024 at 7:12 PM, ORH_wxman said:

On 1/30/2024 at 2:21 PM, CoastalWx said:

Ha don't remember that one.

Sneaky one of my favorites over the last decade. I had a job interview the next day and remember going to bed and the general tenor was that this didn’t look good and to not expect much. Woke up to the sound of plows going by with 7-8” of pure fluff.

Its hard to get a true surprise these days, but this definitely was one.

9 years ago today started what was a long duration, but solidifying a stretch likely not to be beaten in this area. My best estimates were a conservative 30", but 36" was reported nearby. When the pack gets so deep it's tough to measure...you know it's special.  I understand this did not impact many in CT/RI/S coast and even metro west all  that much, but for this area, it sealed epicosity. Late Sunday into Monday really boosted the rates with OE and naked CF twister. I spent 3 hrs cleaning my driveway, deck, and part of my roof. I disappeared for a half hour to take a walk and absorb it all. As much as a disappointment these last two winters have been...I thank the good lord for being able to witness that stretch in 2015. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

9 years ago today started what was a long duration, but solidifying a stretch likely not to be beaten in this area. My best estimates were a conservative 30", but 36" was reported nearby. When the pack gets so deep it's tough to measure...you know it's special.  I understand this did not impact many in CT/RI/S coast and even metro west all  that much, but for this area, it sealed epicosity. Late Sunday into Monday really boosted the rates with OE and naked CF twister. I spent 3 hrs cleaning my driveway, deck, and part of my roof. I disappeared for a half hour to take a walk and absorb it all. As much as a disappointment these last two winters have been...I thank the good lord for being able to witness that stretch in 2015. 

I had 38 OTG in 15

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

I had 38 OTG in 15

Never got past 31" here.  We had 26" OG on Feb 1, received 23" of 18:1 snow and had 26" on Feb 28.  Not much melting that month, as there was only 3 hr above 32, on the last Sunday of the month, and the average temp was 16/-10.

36 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Ah 2013, aka the Pine Pummeler. Pretty epic along the South Coast/Shore in that regard

Still hard to believe the amount of tree damage. To this day I don't quite get it. Only thing I can think of is a domino effect because entire swaths of forests were blown down.  @amarshall can attest. He knows what I mean.

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Still hard to believe the amount of tree damage. To this day I don't quite get it. Only thing I can think of is a domino effect because entire swaths of forests were blown down.  @amarshall can attest. He knows what I mean.

Microbursts occurred, there was serious convection in that super band. Wish I had velocity scans from that  day.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Microbursts occurred, there was serious convection in that super band. Wish I had velocity scans from that  day.

They had extremely heavy wet snow rates, that froze as winds increased at the same time. So a perfect combo for Phil. 

My second all time favorite storm, 78 still holds the top spot because as a kid it was like a crippler for a week, but 2013 I owned a house in Waterbury and was awake almost the whole night, filming and watching the incredible band rotating through...my avatar is that, most intense snow I've ever seen

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

They had extremely heavy wet snow rates, that froze as winds increased at the same time. So a perfect combo for Phil. 

For the longest time, I thought the Phil references were about that Cape Cod met that used to post here. I wish he still did, because he knew his shit

• Like 1