Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

22 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is the 45th anniversary of the 12/29/76 storm....that really kicked off an amazing period for eastern MA...esp just barely W of BOS....like the 128 belt.

This was Ray's dream storm. There was a band of 18-20" that went from N RI up through 128 belt....while ORH had 4".

We were visiting family that Christmas and headed back to Fort Kent in our 2WD C-10 Chevy after dinner on the 29th.  We hit snowy roads in southern Mass and flakes in the air a few miles into Maine.  That became S+ before we passed PWM and by the time we approached BGR at 3:30 AM my eyes felt like the oncoming flakes were little knives.  We tried to sleep until daytime at the Newburgh rest area, but it was too cold, so we stopped at the HOJO near the airport so I could suck down some coffee.  That worked until Medway but triggered an emergency stop at the rest area there.  Only picnic tables and an outhouse there back then, but blessedly there was TP - using powder snow at 15° was not a pleasant prospect.  North of there the wind switched to NW and was blowing across the road - a gust meant white out, especially when we approached a plow truck doing the left side.  Startling to be 100' from the yellow strobes and have instant blackout.

Total in Fort Kent was a bit over 12" and they'd had another 2 feet on 12/26-27.  (4" storm in NNJ, folks asked if we'd brought the snow from Maine.)  Our 1965 blue Beetle was merely a lump of snow, not a square inch was visible.  Five minutes after we arrived home, the NW gales hit town and we couldn't see across the street.  Fortunately, that didn't happen as we drove PQI to CAR through the potato fields.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 8:28 AM, Ginx snewx said:

January 11 was as epic as it gets. Snow on snow on snow. Roof failures were common. My shed had 44 inches on it. Was the first time in my entire life using a roof rake. The icicles were incredible.  I saw some roof to ground.  Special special month.

0209151205.jpg

Screenshot_20211230-205248_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211230-205549_Facebook.jpg

0228151843a.jpg

0216151023.jpg

This was when I was first introduced to the concept of an ice dam.

• 2 weeks later...

With this OES setup today it reminds me of February 19, 1993(?) Where the outer Cape got over a foot from the ocean effect. Out on ACK we squeaked by with about 6 inches if memory serves. Built lots of snowpeople in our Old South Road parking lot. Two days later there was a promising storm that switched over to rain for us.

2 hours ago, HalloweenGale said:

With this OES setup today it reminds me of February 19, 1993(?) Where the outer Cape got over a foot from the ocean effect. Out on ACK we squeaked by with about 6 inches if memory serves. Built lots of snowpeople in our Old South Road parking lot. Two days later there was a promising storm that switched over to rain for us.

I think it was most from a norlun trough? I remember having Flurries in Wareham with dim sun, and raging jealousy of the Cape as a 10 year old. 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:55 AM, SouthCoastMA said:

I think it was most from a norlun trough? I remember having Flurries in Wareham with dim sun, and raging jealousy of the Cape as a 10 year old. 

That might be the February '90 event. Nantucket received 8 inches give or take. The Vineyard squeaked by with 10 inches. Looking back on that weekend in February 1990 the three events: Saturday, Sunday, and the squalls on Tuesday (not a weekend day, but part of the series) it seems they blend together.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There were a few reports in the 36-40" range around the Hamden/North Haven area down SW in the valley and Milford. I don't know much about that 40" Hamden report but i dont think it was ever verified or considered official.

Here's some radar images and i snowfall map a couple years ago for this.

02.08.13_snow_totals.jpg

Screenshot 2022-02-08 102046.png

bgm-feb9loop.gif

radar-935pm1.gif

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

There were a few reports in the 36-40" range around the Hamden/North Haven area down SW in the valley and Milford. I don't know much about that 40" Hamden report but i dont think it was ever verified or considered official.

Here's some radar images and i snowfall map a couple years ago for this.

02.08.13_snow_totals.jpg

Screenshot 2022-02-08 102046.png

bgm-feb9loop.gif

radar-935pm1.gif

Winter storm of yore. They don't make them like they used to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s absolutely wild that event was 9 years ago already. Time flys. I was a freshmen in college for that one.

That broke a pretty horrific 2 year stretch for this are 

? wasn't it literally one bad season before that, 11-12. 10-11 was good to great for most of all SNE. 9-10 couldn't have been better than 10-11 even for your area?

11 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Maybe a I phrased it wrong…. It was 1 season… but 2 literal years. Not much from Feb 11 to Feb 13

Yeah SE MA was porked pretty bad late in the 2010-2011 season and then at the start of the 2012-2013 (with the horrific 2011-2012 season sandwiched in between) so it was a 2 year slump for that area.