• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

12 years ago. Obscene snow amounts in Maine. I worked this event at Upton but I can't recall why that screw zone occurred in SE CT.

That map is such a knife in the heart. I remember seeing the prongs the night before it started while I was in Dallas. The pain was nearly unbearable.

Only 15" for Boston, but 30% of that came during the Tuck Rule game.  In that 2004 icebowl game against the Titans, the footballs probably dropped to about 10 PSI (but were so stiff that it didn't matter.)

I think it officially kicked off at 4oF, and all beer was poured from bottles as the tap lines were frozen. You had to poke a hole through the head of your beer to take a sip.

And you're right, assuming the volume of the footballs didn't change much if they started the game at 12.5 PSI they would have dropped to 9.6 or so in that temperature range. I still think Vinatieri was kicking a rock around that night.

I think it officially kicked off at 4oF, and all beer was poured from bottles as the tap lines were frozen. You had to poke a hole through the head of your beer to take a sip.

And you're right, assuming the volume of the footballs didn't change much if they started the game at 12.5 PSI they would have dropped to 9.6 or so in that temperature range. I still think Vinatieri was kicking a rock around that night.

i was at that game, it was pretty brutal. tailgating was just silly, beers froze as soon as you opened them, used coolers to keep the beer "warm", salsa froze too

i was at that game, it was pretty brutal. tailgating was just silly, beers froze as soon as you opened them, used coolers to keep the beer "warm", salsa froze too

Tough but not unbearable is what I remember most. No wind made a huge difference, because I've been at games where it was 20 with a 20 mph wind, and that feels like 4 degrees felt much worse that just being 4 degrees.

Tough but not unbearable is what I remember most. No wind made a huge difference, because I've been at games where it was 20 with a 20 mph wind, and that feels like 4 degrees felt much worse that just being 4 degrees.

i was dressed in full snowmobile clothes (minus the helmet) and was fairly comfy. i chuckled when the beer guy asked me for my ID when buying beer-I was in a full ski mask. I could have been a 12 year old girl for all he knew

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread...while responding to new Vermonter das in the 2016-2017 winter thread, I went into my attachments to find an old snowfall map...I came across a bunch of images from last winter.

All in all, last winter really was pretty decent for most. Def a bit more frustrating right on the coast, but even there it was still above average for snowfall.

Some of my favorite images I saw were:

The approach of the huge March 14th nor' easter. We had over 14 inches in ORH...this storm happened too right around when we closed on our new house. We had around 11-12 inches in Holliston judging by the landscape the next day driving there. This one hit all of New England hard save maybe parts of the south coast which flipped pretty early and some extreme exposed spots on the eastern MA shore...Logan underperformed a bit. We actually managed to avoid flipping to sleet in ORH despite most models thinking we would...the snow did get a bit rimed though late in the storm when we finally dryslotted:

Mar14_2017_1020amRadar.gif.3c5dff7dfbaed6576fd28b9dfd5a0dc3.gifMar14_2017_1145amRadar.gif.2c126007f33f8397450ccd54295c4ce2.gifMar14_2017_123pmRadar.gif.a4a8d5cbe8742533fb30e5a0d3f770e3.gif

image.jpeg.5e5eadedd3c381daaf9de9f00a0feb70.jpeg

Here's the big thump on Sunday Feb 12th that gave us about 9 inches...that had followed the really nice snowstorm on February 9th...we achieved max depth after the 12th storm:

Feb12_117pmRadar.gif.9ebb0979449ff8ed28cb28109cdcdac6.gif

Awesome banding in the February 9th storm:

Feb9_117pmRadar.gif.b5b89b2b22433e2fdd17500d73c814e1.gifFeb9_257pmRadar.gif.b59777217edcb53fa31df928f89bf02d.gif

8 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I remember the quick hitter that dropped 14" or so, and the disappointment of the march storm flipping to sleet/freezing rain after about 10". Bulletproof stuff though.

The quick hitter (Feb 9th) storm kind of blew up on the models too around 48 hours out...it was poorly predicted in the medium range. We've had storms like that now for 3 winters in a row (Feb 5th, 2016 the winter before blew up inside of 48h and of course the Jan 2015 blizzard).

March 14th kept trending NW every single run inside of 48 hours....but despite that, it was still a great storm even if we didn't jackpot. Prob a little more disappointing right near BOS where they underperformed relative to some of the western suburbs. That bulletproof pack though took forever to melt...well into April.

16 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

The model bust around 3/17 was a disappointment..I remember a bunch of models temporarily (maybe 2 or 3 cycles) showing a huge hit for eastern mass...then it completely evaporated within 48 hours. 

Same with Feb 16th too....and even part two in the Feb 12-13 storm. It ended up like 200 miles east of the Euro's 72 hour forecast....there was a chance we'd have an all-out blizzard that morning of Monday Feb 13th. Instead we got just a bit of backlash snows in E MA that didn't amount to much except for maybe 3-5" on Cape Ann and also parts of Cape Cod.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I enjoyed the Jan snowstorm here. Was sort of a CJ as Ray would say, but we got into a good deformation band. It pounded for about 3 hrs. I think 75%of my totals occurred in those 3 hrs. My house was literally the line as even 5 miles NW had several inches less.

Nice fat band while Ray and central area were choking on exhaust:

imageproxy.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I know it was not the best in a lot of areas, but some really good rates in that. 

That storm was pretty solid in Natick...about 8 inches. Around 6 inches in ORH. It just sucked that it vaporized like 3-4 days later. We got a hideous cutter on the 11th-12th.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

The quick hitter (Feb 9th) storm kind of blew up on the models too around 48 hours out...it was poorly predicted in the medium range. We've had storms like that now for 3 winters in a row (Feb 5th, 2016 the winter before blew up inside of 48h and of course the Jan 2015 blizzard).

March 14th kept trending NW every single run inside of 48 hours....but despite that, it was still a great storm even if we didn't jackpot. Prob a little more disappointing right near BOS where they underperformed relative to some of the western suburbs. That bulletproof pack though took forever to melt...well into April.

Ahhh the March storm named Stella...that's remembered around here by skiers like Nemo in 2013 in SNE.  

I recorded 37" at 1,500ft and 52" at 3,000ft in 48 hours.  

BTV was over 30" too.  We actually got a bit shafted in town with 20" as the best banding was in the Champlain Valley down to BGM.  Huge gradient in the few miles from here to the base of the mountain. That storm even went a bit too far NW for areas east of the crest lol....though 20" in my yard was still the biggest storm here since March 2011 brought 27".