Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 General Discussion

Spartman

48 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Made it into the low 40s with sun all day. sw winds really got rid of a lot of the snow. The pack is about a very heavy 4" deep now. Piles will be here a long while but all it takes is one day to make a winter wonderland look mangy. 

Yesterday we had full sun and 35° for a high and only lost 1/2" of snow (6 1/2 to 6). Today was cloudy and 40° and lost 2". We also have a very heavy 4".

Clipper system should deliver a nice dose of snow to the UP snow belts.  Forecast is for upwards of 8" but hi-res models yield as much as 15-20"  imby and through the spine of the Keweenaw down to the Porkies the next 48 hours.  Should be quite windy as well with temps falling below zero.

ndfd_48hsnow.us_mw.thumb.png.63488fae666e4b3d559564ddb2093bbc.png

• Like 1

3-6" of wet snow forecast here. Heaviest will fall early, then light snows after with a little freezing drizzle possible in the mix. Then temps drop tomorrow, and turn it rock hard. Yesterday, the winds sure were amped, running up to 40 mph. Been a windy winter this year. Many times winds up to 40-45 mph after low/front passages.

And as @weatherbo mentioned, U.P. in for LES starting around Hurley/Ironwood eastward with 8-12" or more along the favored snow belts.

Looks like Ironwood picked up 10" yesterday from LES. More to come.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

12Z GFS looks mighty interesting in about 8 days for both winter and severe...details/ceiling will change many times of course but definitely some potential there.

Regardless of the outcome at least it is something to track of significance!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Clipper system should deliver a nice dose of snow to the UP snow belts.  Forecast is for upwards of 8" but hi-res models yield as much as 15-20"  imby and through the spine of the Keweenaw down to the Porkies the next 48 hours.  Should be quite windy as well with temps falling below zero.

ndfd_48hsnow.us_mw.thumb.png.63488fae666e4b3d559564ddb2093bbc.png

This is the time of year I REALLY miss not being in the UP.  I like longer winters (of course I do a lot of winter activities :) ).

52 minutes ago, Lightning said:

This is the time of year I REALLY miss not being in the UP.  I like longer winters (of course I do a lot of winter activities :) ).

I don't mind the long winters as long as it's active but even then, after 6 months of cold and snow I'm more than ready for the season to change...however, being this far north and so close to icy Lake Superior, it stays winter like well into April and cold into May most years, so there's very little springtime. In fact, some of the biggest snows I've seen while living here have been in April, and some snowpack usually lingers into May.

Speaking of your time here, It's the 100th annual ice carnival going on now at tech.  Heading over for the fireworks Saturday night.

17 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Yesterday we had full sun and 35° for a high and only lost 1/2" of snow (6 1/2 to 6). Today was cloudy and 40° and lost 2". We also have a very heavy 4".

I would say ours average is 3 to 5". Heavily traveled areas are a mix of huge dirty snow banks patches of drifts and salt splattered grass.  Still solid snow away from those areas though. Will be a while for these piles, taken in a mall lot last night lol

FB_IMG_1644523244092.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I don't mind the long winters as long as it's active but even then, after 6 months of cold and snow I'm more than ready for the season to change...however, being this far north and so close to icy Lake Superior, it stays winter like well into April and cold into May most years, so there's very little springtime. In fact, some of the biggest snows I've seen while living here have been in April, and some snowpack usually lingers into May.

Speaking of your time here, It's the 100th annual ice carnival going on now at tech.  Heading over for the fireworks Saturday night.

Winter does get old, if it weren't for the milder Dec this season, I would be long ready for milder weather. Come March, tho, always ready to see it end. Days are longer, and looking forward to spring temps. But a good ol' fashioned blizzard is ok in my book, even if it's April.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I wish I could have gone.  I know my niece is going there now and sent pictures. Have a great time they will be awesome!

• Like 1

About 2 inches of slushcrete, over 200 school district closed this morning in SW MI, 
GRR: 

GIVEN THE BREVITY OF THIS EVENT WHICH COMES DURING THE LESS   TRAVELED OVERNIGHT PERIOD, AND FAST ARRIVAL OF ABOVE FREEZING   TEMPS, WILL NOT ISSUE AN ADVISORY AT THIS TIME

• Haha 1

Very windy again today with NW winds up to 40-45 mph. CAA snow showers moving through as well. Temps have dropped 10dF in 2 hrs, from low 20's to low teens this morning. Another round of brutal cold on tap. Lake ice will probably build a little quicker this time around as winds will be fairly calm the next couple days. Open water temps near freezing.

2 hours ago, Toro99 said:

About 2 inches of slushcrete, over 200 school district closed this morning in SW MI, 
GRR: 

GIVEN THE BREVITY OF THIS EVENT WHICH COMES DURING THE LESS   TRAVELED OVERNIGHT PERIOD, AND FAST ARRIVAL OF ABOVE FREEZING   TEMPS, WILL NOT ISSUE AN ADVISORY AT THIS TIME

It's amazing what schools will close for these days.  I'm guessing not many schools in southwest Ml would've closed for 2 inches 20-30 years ago.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

It's amazing what schools will close for these days.  I'm guessing not many schools in southwest Ml would've closed for 2 inches 20-30 years ago.

In Indiana, it's because of "e-learning". State law requires 180 days of school. They used to have to make it up after Memorial Day if they burned through their built-in snow days (i.e. President's Day).  Now, with every kid having a school-issued  ipad, they can count snow days as e-learning days.  In fact, on a Zoom meeting right before GHDIII, our local school Superintendent proclaimed, "Thank goodness for e-learning days!"