Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 General Discussion

Spartman

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Despite little in the way of snow the past few weeks we've done a pretty nice job of maintaining what we have received, as we've had at least an inch of snow on the ground since around New Years.  Have about 2ish inches of mangy crust out there, with a little fresher powder on top.  

yeah the "winter blahs" will do that. Thankful, for the clipper parade, a Lake Snow event, and mini GHD event to follow for 5 days. But the dog days of winter our now here. No events in sight and days upon days of 20's/30's with little to watch. At least the ground is white.

Agree clipper snows in January have had remarkable staying power. More NW flow and clippers that could blow up out in the NE corridor looks to be on tap near term. Waiting for pattern flip to resume MSP and northern WI snows that will mark the inexorable path out of winter for our area. Pseudo spring will be here in 5 weeks, real spring 10 weeks.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Despite little in the way of snow the past few weeks we've done a pretty nice job of maintaining what we have received, as we've had at least an inch of snow on the ground since around New Years.  Have about 2ish inches of mangy crust out there, with a little fresher powder on top.  

Yep, we've had snow on the ground since late December.

22 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Come on people!  We've been waiting for nice clipper pattern on top of a deep snow pack for years and everyone is saying they are done with Winter.  No perseverance in this new generation of :weenie:

You have to realize we're quickly approaching mid-February already.

On top of that, the pattern we're in now is mostly a duster clipper pattern, unless up in portions of MN/WI/MI where it could be better at times.

• Thanks 1

Here's a look at last months rankings, and anomaly chart for our region. Been a few years since we had a really chilly Jan. The last time was 2014, although 2019 had its moments. A state record low for Illinois, if I remember correctly, at the end of the month. As cooler as we were, our neighbors just west of us in the plains had milder conditions, especially the afternoon highs. Easy to see where the jet liked to set up.

This time around, because of the mostly below normal conditions for the north central US, I switched to ranking from the cold side. 2021 was so warm, always had to rank from the warm end, with a few exceptions.

NC US Jan max avg mthly ranking.png

NC US Jan min avg mthly ranking.png

Jan anoms midwest.gif

1 hour ago, Brian D said:

Here's a look at last months rankings, and anomaly chart for our region. Been a few years since we had a really chilly Jan. The last time was 2014, although 2019 had its moments. A state record low for Illinois, if I remember correctly, at the end of the month. As cooler as we were, our neighbors just west of us in the plains had milder conditions, especially the afternoon highs. Easy to see where the jet liked to set up.

This time around, because of the mostly below normal conditions for the north central US, I switched to ranking from the cold side. 2021 was so warm, always had to rank from the warm end, with a few exceptions.

Jan anoms midwest.gif

Very solid cold month. Ice fishing and skating abundant in SE MI, and that's not always the case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian D said:

Jan anoms midwest.gif

Odd to see January 1858 standing out as being so warm. I imagine that must have been a real anomaly back then, although in a book I have, called Early American Winters, by David Ludlum, the late 1820s apparently saw a string of mild winters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Some diamond dust light snow fell overnight from that little disturbance that passed through. I hear of some awesome light pillars (which I missed) and an absolutely incredible sparkle in the snow this morning.

Screenshot_20220205-142401_Gallery.thumb.jpg.dd1bc4c50b413821a2658875ea1bbb08.jpg

I went outside for a few mins this morning to look at the Huron river and the light pillar was pretty gnarly I wish I had time to go down to the river and take a pick. Even with clear sky overhead was pretty cool to see the dust fall

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Odd to see January 1858 standing out as being so warm. I imagine that must have been a real anomaly back then, although in a book I have, called Early American Winters, by David Ludlum, the late 1820s apparently saw a string of mild winters.

Another thing of interest, is the chart below showing drought conditions were more prevalent in the 1850's-60's, especially the western US, where it was being hit pretty hard. Just some more cool history.

california_drought_timeline 2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snow is winding down. Looks to be 4-5" around the area with 6-10" up around Lutsen, and Grand Marais. Nice powder to take the dirty look away for a little while. Couple more chances for light-mod snow next week looks like.

Edit: Looks like 3-6" between here and Duluth, and 6-12" up the shore to the border. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Winters back then meant life or death for the ill prepared, so warm winters may have increased our population...  Kind of a big deal id imagine.  Watching the movie Revenant was based around that time.   

• Like 2