• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2022 General Discussion

Spartman

Some seasonal snowfall totals from across the UP as of today.  The highest reported is Larium/Calumet with 191.5" but I'm sure there are unreported areas between Munising and Grand Marias this year that are also approaching 200" if not more.  Most places are reasonably close to average.

The highest depths I could find was Painsdale with 44" and 10s Grand Marias with 41".

Calumet/Larium   191.5"

Munising   158.5" (average 117.4")

Herman   155.3"  (average 143.2")

MQT  126.1   (average 128.6")

Ironwood   126.5"   (average 132.8")

Bergland Damn  123.3"  (average 128.1")

Chatham   112.4"  (average 118")

Watton   106.8"  (average 80.1)

The Soo   105.8"  (average 88.3")

Michigamme   91.6"

Big Bay   87.2"  (average 92.4")

Clarksburg   85.9"   (average 74.9")

Alberta  81.7"

Garden Corners   75.4"

Jacobsville   75" 

Gladstone   59.6"

Iron Mountain   45.7"  (average 39")

Memoninee   41.7"

• Like 4

^ Great list Bo. For future reference, do you have a link to the source data? I can usually find UP snow depths pretty easily, but not seasonal snow totals. 

Hard to believe Iron Mountain’s snowfall has been so low…but still a ways to go in the season for them. Either way, good snow cover and cold up there. :)

20 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

^ Great list Bo. For future reference, do you have a link to the source data? I can usually find UP snow depths pretty easily, but not seasonal snow totals. 

Hard to believe Iron Mountain’s snowfall has been so low…but still a ways to go in the season for them. Either way, good snow cover and cold up there. :)

Forgot to add the Iron Mountain average, but it's only 39" to date so they're doing alright.  Don't confuse Iron Mountain with Ironwood.

All the info is under NOWdata-- daily almanac

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate?wfo=mqt

• Thanks 1

Went sledding with cousin and her kids and had a blast. The icy old snow was an absolute expressway for Clark Griswold type sledding. While we were at the park the northern suburbs of Detroit were dealing with freeway closures due to white out snow squalls. The squalls have now migrated South and it's like a legit snowstorm outside. Screenshot_20220213-174738_Gallery.thumb.jpg.55438f795b1c8549a574e68cb89dc0fe.jpgIMG_8731.thumb.jpg.2c991eb363bfa47cf11fb2f859d36102.jpgScreenshot_20220213-174915_Gallery.thumb.jpg.18b39fbe901579eb59ef7dfa9395dfc8.jpg

• Like 6

I have kind of a random question. Before the NWS changed the format of the daily temp/precip records there used to be a lot more stations in what I think was called the daily almanac or something like that. Now, with the new format, not all of those stations are on the list. Is there a way to still access that data? I know some were from waste water treatment plants so I would assume they’re still recording data. 

Damn computer acting up today, running in safe mode. Anyway, temps were very cold again this morning like yesterday morning. -30's away from the lake. Probably a -40 in there, too. Near record/ poss record cold again. Looks like a dusting of snow starting to move in right now. Will help keep temps up tonight, but still below zero.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Went sledding with cousin and her kids and had a blast. The icy old snow was an absolute expressway for Clark Griswold type sledding. While we were at the park the northern suburbs of Detroit were dealing with freeway closures due to white out snow squalls. The squalls have now migrated South and it's like a legit snowstorm outside. Screenshot_20220213-174738_Gallery.thumb.jpg.55438f795b1c8549a574e68cb89dc0fe.jpgIMG_8731.thumb.jpg.2c991eb363bfa47cf11fb2f859d36102.jpgScreenshot_20220213-174915_Gallery.thumb.jpg.18b39fbe901579eb59ef7dfa9395dfc8.jpg

Is this LES for you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Meanwhile, a near total whiff just a few miles SW of there. I watched that solid band of returns move almost due N to S just grazing me twice with it's western edge. 3-4" on the snow map. Another fail here. I don't see .3-.4" out there. Sidewalks are not even fully coated. Sad winter for mby. 

1 hour ago, Cary67 said:

Is this LES for you?

Not in the purest sense, no. Streamers coming all the way from Lake Michigan is the classic LES event. Per DTX tho, the environment was enhanced by lake moisture but cells were triggered by an imbedded wave of energy and perhaps that clipper sliding by to the south? I know it was shown on a surface map this pm as a trough running right overhead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Meanwhile, a near total whiff just a few miles SW of there. I watched that solid band of returns move almost due N to S just grazing me twice with it's western edge. 3-4" on the snow map. Another fail here. I don't see .3-.4" out there. Sidewalks are not even fully coated. Sad winter for mby. 

It was a crazy day. There was 6" reported in Livonia.  The irony of this is that was the same area that was screwed from the February 2-3 storm so they had about the same amount today as they had during that storm. I wasn't watching your area on radar closely but I thought for sure what those amounts in Livonia would have had more.  Amounts varied widely from 1 to 6" where the squalls hit. 

I got 1.9", puts me at 30.9" on the season. DTW got 2.2" which puts them at 31.2" on the season (we had ironically been tied to date).  The fresh powder does wonders for cleaning up the old crusty snow.FB_IMG_1644816804921.thumb.jpg.eeda044bc2f50ccca233fb248f3a8d81.jpg

FB_IMG_1644816810003.thumb.jpg.fc04c9db8c0c9acb4b486c55ba86930c.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AWMT30 said:

Absolutely got whiffed yesterday as well IMBY. Quite depressed about it seeing as Livonia got smoked. Literally there was a snow hole over my house on radar yesterday. Only got a dusting. Very impressive set up for those that got snow. 

Yesterday was so so up this way as I got like an inch (it was divided up in 2 half inch events).  Mostly pixie dust falling.  :sleepy:  Just to my north barely anything.  Not to far south got a few inches.  Win some and lose some. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AWMT30 said:

Absolutely got whiffed yesterday as well IMBY. Quite depressed about it seeing as Livonia got smoked. Literally there was a snow hole over my house on radar yesterday. Only got a dusting. Very impressive set up for those that got snow. 

Sorry to hear. Hopefully at least brightened up your old snow crust. It's a very snowblind kind of day today.

36 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

I am a little confused. It was either 9 or 10 as there as an intrahour special close to midnight at KIND. Whatever, sometimes it is good to be this far south.

Once it's in the single digits it's all the same to me, although the wildlife (and those who works outside) might disagree.

Should reach 15'ish for a high today with one more night below zero before a substantial, albeit brief warmup midweek.  Ice on superior has really increased the past couple days but I doubt it goes past 40% this year. idk

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Once it's in the single digits it's all the same to me, although the wildlife (and those who works outside) might disagree.

Should reach 15'ish for a high today with one more night below zero before a substantial, albeit brief warmup midweek.  Ice on superior has really increased the past couple days but I doubt it goes past 40% this year. idk

Thanks for reminding me. I had not looked at the ice on the great lakes since just after Xmas. Been a slight change since then.

And talk about spaghetti maps...

sup_ice_compare.png