Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,275
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Chicago85
    Newest Member
    Chicago85
    Joined

February Banter 2022


George BM
 Share

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Dodged it for 2 years, but the Rona found us. Wife and son both positive today. Both pretty mild symptoms. My parents had/have it and had negative home tests this past weekend so they visited us for my son’s birthday and spread it. So it goes.

Urgh. That sucks. Hopefully it just stays mild and that all are on the mend soon.

We know quite a few fully vaccinated and boosted folks who have gotten it, but each one of them had pretty mild symptoms, the worst of which was a bad cold for a couple days. Obviously that's not how it goes for everyone, but my anecdotal evidence is that that's very much how it's been going in general.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Urgh. That sucks. Hopefully it just stays mild and that all are on the mend soon.

We know quite a few fully vaccinated and boosted folks who have gotten it, but each one of them had pretty mild symptoms, the worst of which was a bad cold for a couple days. Obviously that's not how it goes for everyone, but my anecdotal evidence is that that's very much how it's been going in general.

We got it over the last few days (vector was my daughter’s best friend).  Pretty much a nothing-burger because we were all maximum vaccinated.

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Urgh. That sucks. Hopefully it just stays mild and that all are on the mend soon.

We know quite a few fully vaccinated and boosted folks who have gotten it, but each one of them had pretty mild symptoms, the worst of which was a bad cold for a couple days. Obviously that's not how it goes for everyone, but my anecdotal evidence is that that's very much how it's been going in general.

 

52 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

We got it over the last few days (vector was my daughter’s best friend).  Pretty much a nothing-burger because we were all maximum vaccinated.

 

 

So far so good for my parents, wife, and son. My wife and son probably have another couple days with it I’d guess. Daughter and I are wondering if we get it. We’re not going to isolate them in the basement or whatever because we were just as exposed to my parents over the weekend and to them the last few days. So I figure we’re already as exposed as we can get.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, H2O said:

speaking of shingles.  Apparently I need to go get a shot for this. :tomato:

LOL!  Yes, there is a shot for that, in fact it's a series of 2 (Shingrix vaccine).  I actually got mine a couple of years back.  Definitely get it, if you're "old enough"...last thing you would want is to suffer getting shingles!  Apparently it's quite effective.

 

2 hours ago, H2O said:

Wanna go get colonoscopies together?

Hahaha!  Have gotten several of those over the years (no, not due to age, but have to get them more often due to history of colitis).  I can deal with an all-liquid diet the day before, I can deal with the procedure itself (since they knock you out for that anyhow), and I can deal with the "recovery" right afterward, plus I can eat normally again at that point.  But the ONE thing I just CANNOT get used to is that God-awful gallon of prep solution you have to drink the night before.  Ugh!  It is awful.  8 ounce glass every 10 minutes.  It's like a bad drinking game!  I can be fine for the first 3 or 4 glasses, but after that it gets to be a real struggle.  Even the "flavor packs" they give you don't help much...still tastes like disgusting metallic salt.  Bleahhhhhhh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

 

So far so good for my parents, wife, and son. My wife and son probably have another couple days with it I’d guess. Daughter and I are wondering if we get it. We’re not going to isolate them in the basement or whatever because we were just as exposed to my parents over the weekend and to them the last few days. So I figure we’re already as exposed as we can get.

Oh wow...really sorry to hear they got COVID!  Hopefully will remain mild with being fully vaccinated and all, at least.  And hope they recover well.  Hope you and your daughter are OK and if you do get it, that it's only minor.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Hahaha!  Have gotten several of those over the years (no, not due to age, but have to get them more often due to history of colitis).  I can deal with an all-liquid diet the day before, I can deal with the procedure itself (since they knock you out for that anyhow), and I can deal with the "recovery" right afterward, plus I can eat normally again at that point.  But the ONE thing I just CANNOT get used to is that God-awful gallon of prep solution you have to drink the night before.  Ugh!  It is awful.  8 ounce glass every 10 minutes.  It's like a bad drinking game!  I can be fine for the first 3 or 4 glasses, but after that it gets to be a real struggle.  Even the "flavor packs" they give you don't help much...still tastes like disgusting metallic salt.  Bleahhhhhhh!

Man let me tell ya...I got nothing but a bad memory from that dang gallon. Here I was, already having bouts of nausea every day (part of the reason why I was getting the colonosopy to rule that out)...and then they give me that rank bile to drink. Flavor packet my behind! So that just brought exacerbated the nausea...then I call the on call doctor to see what I could take and that was the rudest grumpiest doctor I'd ever seen. Not to mention earlier that day the Bengals kicked our behind and Flacco threw 4 INTs...just horrible!

Thankfully...when I had to get another one a few years ago it was just a whole bottle of Miralax...MUCH better!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, toolsheds said:

I was supposed to get mine at 45 because my mother had colon cancer.  I didn't and my Dr. now says that I have to get it at 52, which was 10 years before she had it........I think I need a new Dr. 

yeah that’s bad…my mom died from colon cancer in her 50s so I got my first colonoscopy at 35

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, MDstorm said:

Even for low risk people, colonoscopy is now recommended at age 45 (used to be 50).

Very important test to get.

After the uptick they've seen in the 30-40 age range of cases...ya gotta wonder if they'll eventually recommend it at age 40. After what happened to the 37 year-old Chadwick Bozeman, I know that kinda raised my concern and I'm just 31!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, baldereagle said:

“I know I am, but what are you?”       Why are some posters so reactive? Is it really that bad if someone disagrees, teases or jibes? Or, God forbid, outright criticizes.

Mark Twain has a famous saying  about this, just saying. 
Think before hitting the keys.

 

To answer this question since this whole mess I made is still bothering me at almost 4 in the morning...It all depends on perspective and the one receiving said criticism. From one end...yes, it may SEEM that bad--that such is personal and an indictment on you as person instead of just the post. Thus the thin skin in some folks...in fact ya got less thick skin online than you do in person if ya ask me.

Online is a different arena...everything is personal for some. Now if criticism made in good faith is taken personally...that's a problem with the receiver of said criticism. Criticism pointing out a mistake can seem far worse and produce guilt and shame instead of just taking a lesson and moving on. That too is a problem with the receiver and not the one with the criticism.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, H2O said:

My advice will be that until you can get a better feel for the room and add substance then just lurk.  Learn from others, suffer in silence and be willing to accept criticism without long ass reply posts.

This is a unique sub, focused on a niche topic. And quite possibly the most unforgiving, IF you aren't willing to lurk and "read the room" for "awhile." The length of "awhile" depends on 1) how well you read the room,  2) how well you contribute, and 3) how your contributions are received. I've observed many folks over the years wade in here with theIr Facebook-style, grenade-posting approach...and pay dearly for it.

I was a mostly silent member here for over a decade before starting to wade in about a year ago, contributing some discussion to obs and some stupid memes to banter. I've light years to go when it comes to reading model tea leaves in LR and severe discussions, so almost always keep my trap shut in those threads...reading, learning, reading more, offering reactions, listening, etc.

One of the most important things I've learned at AmWx is to be aware of WHAT you're saying, WHERE you're saying it -- if there's a banter-ish comment in a LR thread that I feel a burning need to comment on in a banter-ish or smartass manner, I'll quote it and bring it over to banter so that the LR wonks can keep doing their thing without my probably-not-relevant banter getting in the way THERE. As @Bob Chill said earlier in a larger context...location is always relevant on the internet.

I've loved tracking/observing wx since I was a kid...but learned to love it more, and predict it better, here over the past decade.

18 hours ago, H2O said:

speaking of shingles.  Apparently I need to go get a shot for this. :tomato:

Yes, you really should. I've seen a few relatives including my mom suffer with it several times over the years -- my mom even had it in her EYES (who knew that was a thing?) at one point. Anyway, it was all enough to prompt me to get the shots. Fair warning -- there tends to be a variable reaction to shingles shots. I had an abbreviated, 24-hour version of full-on flu after each of my shingles shots...brief but miserable. YMMV.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

This is a unique sub, focused on a niche topic. And quite possibly the most unforgiving, IF you aren't willing to lurk and "read the room" for "awhile." The length of awhile depends on 1) how well you read the room,  2) how well you contribute, and 3) how your contributions are received. I've observed many folks over the years wade in here with theIr Facebook-style, grenade-posting approach...and pay dearly for it.

I was a mostly silent member here for over a decade before starting to wade in about a year ago, contributing some discussion to obs and some stupid memes to banter. I've light years to go when it comes to reading model tea leaves in LR and severe discussions, so almost always keep my trap shut in those threads...reading, learning, reading more, offering reactions, listening, etc.

One of the most important things I've learned at AmWx is to be aware of WHAT you're saying, WHERE you're saying it -- if there's a banter-ish comment in a LR thread that I feel a burning need to comment on in a banter-ish or smartass manner, I'll quote it and bring it over to banter so that the LR wonks can keep doing their thing without my probably-not-relevant banter getting in the way THERE. As @Bob Chill said earlier in a larger context...location is always relevant on the internet.

I've loved tracking/observing wx since I was a kid...but learned to love it more, and predict it better, here over the past decade.

Yeah, I've learned a lot just looking and reading in here.  Reading the various analyses and play-by-play of the models.  A lot of that is simply because several others get the data a lot faster than I do and it's easier to just read along myself...and then maybe a bit later go back and see more of what they're talking about.  Kinda lazy, maybe, but you certainly learn who knows their stuff and who doesn't.  I interject things now and then, but many times what I'd want to say more or less re-iterates what's already been said.  I'm guilty (as I'm sure many are) of posting occasional banter-ish posts in the LR threads, but typically only when it's pretty slow in there anyhow.  Normally if it's really off-topic I'll do what you mentioned, quote and bring it here into the banter thread.

 

46 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yes, you really should. I've seen a few relatives including my mom suffer with it several times over the years -- my mom even had it in her EYES (who knew that was a thing?) at one point. Anyway, it was all enough to prompt me to get the shots. Fair warning -- there tends to be a variable reaction to shingles shots. I had an abbreviated, 24-hour version of full-on flu after each of my shingles shots...brief but miserable. YMMV.

Totally agree with this!  I've known of people who suffered through shingles and it ain't fun.  Even people who had it more than once.  I hope I can avoid it having gotten the Shingrix vaccine (it's a series of 2).  My reaction was similar to yours for both shots...had flu-like symptoms for a couple of days.  It wasn't awful, but I definitely didn't feel good.  But hell, better that for a couple of days than get shingles!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2022 at 8:33 AM, vastateofmind said:

It really has. I couldn't help myself and took another, closer glance at that listing. Forget the "main" house...the guest house is MORE than twice the square footage of my own. :D  But buried down toward the bottom of the breathlessly worded description was a fair amount of "geotechnical stabilization" talk....140 augur cast piles installed along the shoreline, 15 40-foot deep caissons installed on the house's foundation. Given the foundation, underground pipe and general runoff issues that plague Hayfield Farm due to widespread marine clay...I'm quite sure I wouldn't want to live any closer to the Potomac than this. You're uphill from me a good bit...and hopefully y'all don't have to deal with the damnable marine clay.

Should have followed up on this from before.  

Snyders place and many others in that area are totally built on silt build up over the years and I'm sure that ground is crap to build on.  pilings to keep the ground from sliding more and caissons to give the house some solid footing.  I bet that thing moved when the quake hit due to liquification.  

Your hood just sits in a bowl of the lower Fx Co area where Huntley Meadows and Dogue Creek drain into.  That whole area is just low.  Elevations aren't great so its a huge wash down spot.  The underground hydraulics have got to be unreal and that's why that big drainage ditch runs thru your hood.  

My spot is crap tho for different reasons.  Its built on this awful gravel and clay and dirt.  Dig anywhere in my yard and you hit rocks and stones and pebbles and pain.  Been replacing fence posts for the last year or so and every hole dug is an exercise in pain and agony.  I wish I had dynamite to save the time it takes to dig.  My 187' elevation is a result of some dumb mountain eroding into the worst ground ever.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where has all the negative PNA gone?
Long time passing.
Where has all the negative PNA gone?
Long time ago.
Where has all the negative PNA gone?
Chuck has shit-posted it, for months now.
Oh, When will you ever learn?
Oh, When will you ever learn?
Young posters
They've taken grief, still learning.
Young folks
They're dodging Chuck.
Veteran posters
They've gone to snowboards everyone
Deck picks
They're covered with traces of snow
Flowers
Looming closer now - not yet picked them every one.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Folks, I'd like a fresh start. I wanna put every bad post I've done in the garbage and wipe the slate clean. Committed to getting better--I am so sorry for all my mischief and the mess yesterday and...every other bad post made the rest of the time--I'm kinda sick about all of it. This forum doesn't need my antics. Taking all criticism under consideration and reflection. I think I can be better...need to just process stuff better. Have a blessed day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Folks, I'd like a fresh start. I wanna put every bad post I've done in the garbage and wipe the slate clean. Committed to getting better--I am so sorry for all my mischief and the mess yesterday and...every other bad post made the rest of the time--I'm kinda sick about all of it. This forum doesn't need my antics. Taking all criticism under consideration and reflection. I think I can be better...need to just process stuff better. Have a blessed day.

it's a weather forum, relax man

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MacChump said:

yeah that’s bad…my mom died from colon cancer in her 50s so I got my first colonoscopy at 35

One of my best friends had Stage 3 colon cancer at 26. He had been slightly symptomatic since college, and it was only his wife's intervention (newly married) that forced him to get checked out. He ended up having a colectomy, and <knock on wood> he's luckily been free of cancer since.

Crazy...a 26-year-old having colon cancer. I remember hearing that his doctor had recently (at that time) been seeing quite an uptick in colon cancer diagnoses among younger men. Not cool at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, mattie g said:

One of my best friends had Stage 3 colon cancer at 26. He had been slightly symptomatic since college, and it was only his wife's intervention (newly married) that forced him to get checked out. He ended up having a colectomy, and <knock on wood> he's luckily been free of cancer since.

Crazy...a 26-year-old having colon cancer. I remember hearing that his doctor had recently (at that time) been seeing quite an uptick in colon cancer diagnoses among younger men. Not cool at all. 

That's horrible...wife saved his life no doubt

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, H2O said:

Should have followed up on this from before.  

Snyders place and many others in that area are totally built on silt build up over the years and I'm sure that ground is crap to build on.  pilings to keep the ground from sliding more and caissons to give the house some solid footing.  I bet that thing moved when the quake hit due to liquification.  

Your hood just sits in a bowl of the lower Fx Co area where Huntley Meadows and Dogue Creek drain into.  That whole area is just low.  Elevations aren't great so its a huge wash down spot.  The underground hydraulics have got to be unreal and that's why that big drainage ditch runs thru your hood.  

My spot is crap tho for different reasons.  Its built on this awful gravel and clay and dirt.  Dig anywhere in my yard and you hit rocks and stones and pebbles and pain.  Been replacing fence posts for the last year or so and every hole dug is an exercise in pain and agony.  I wish I had dynamite to save the time it takes to dig.  My 187' elevation is a result of some dumb mountain eroding into the worst ground ever.  

The underground hydraulics ARE unreal...in fact, two houses adjacent to that drainage ditch splitting the neighborhood were lost/condemned due to one of those hundred-year rain events in the past decade. We moved into this house in 2002 and immediately noticed that, even with all of the fresh paint, minor cracks in walls, joints and some doorways began to appear...the cracks would ebb and flow, depending on how dry or wet the weather was, and that all continues to this day. To your point about the earthquake...all those cracks disappeared on that shaky day, at least for a number of months. :) 

The absolute worst -- 3rd or 4th year living here, we noticed some especially nasty cracks appearing between the original house and the 20' x 30' addition built off the back...and because the original owner DID NOT lay a proper slab foundation under the addition (he essentially walled in a formerly screened porch!), the addition was literally pulling AWAY from the house. For the bargain price of just over $20K, we had to invest in 10 of those augur piles shoring up OUR addition. Lost huge swaths of decent backyard grass, two patios and lots of mature landscaping around the addition due to the construction. Thanks, former owner....oh, and shitty marine clay, too.  :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • mappy unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...