Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1 -3 GHD III

Brian D

Edit: ninja’d 

Here are all the 12z ensemble individual members. Euro is definitely a southern outlier though has modest support. Feel with such a tight compressed height gradient that if this ejects slower or not enough at once that progressive/SE isn’t unreasonable, but if it amps at all it’ll try cutting until it runs into the PV west or SW of Hudson Bay. 

With the overrunning ahead of the storm, strong gradient resulting in plenty of jet support, and deep feed of moisture high QPF is a very good bet…and a zone of icing is likely. At a certain point if this trends way more progressive the QPF and ceiling would become less impressive but there’s minimal ensemble support towards something like the 12z UKMET for now. UKMET is trash anymore anyways. 

6FC65779-35D3-4534-BD88-324919D9C11C.thumb.png.d31fb417ab3c519ebca7fd03df322590.png

F87CE621-A33F-4E77-B1B2-9119B13CD661.thumb.png.f4a5fc2a621f60eeb249d84c80ba45be.png

99EF29F0-01BD-4FD9-A9EB-6EB77FEF8BA4.thumb.png.7e996df1a9b781a45ec83e41a4dd4dd0.png

6BCE0224-FAB6-4FAE-9AE9-6719FAEB5229.thumb.png.9b04f262c25b0a83a1d01af9cd9818f0.png

• Like 2

Just now, Sciascia said:

As location continues to wobble, these models just continue showing monster totals run after run. That’s the best sign of anything.

Agree as others have said we should all be thrilled with the large numbers in precip as that seems for sure now it’s just a matter of where this ends up after all the wobbling. 

1 minute ago, ILSNOW said:

back to back 30+ for you when was the last time you had that?

I never remember seeing that on the GFS this close in.  There are exceptions but the GFS seems like it tends to be more conservative with snow amounts at this range.  At least that's how it used to be.

• Like 1

In all my amateur winter storm tracking days I can’t recall seeing a solution like the GFS is showing. Euro seems more plausible just based on what my unskilled eye has seen before but someone with more knowledge can weigh in. Hoping the GFS is onto something because I’d love to see a 30 burger next week. 

Trying to think of analogs with a substantial anafrontal/overrunning pcpn event followed immediately by a decent closed sfc low storm.

One that comes to mind is pre-Christmas 2004, though the axis of max snow was much more N-S than whatll likely end up with this storm.  Nothing else pops to mind.

Will be one for the books if the GFS is right.

• Like 4

• Brian D changed the title to Feb 1 -3 GHD III
  • Rjay locked this topic