Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1 -3 GHD III

Brian D

21 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

The old threads are still there it's just a matter of trying to find images still on there showing accumulations at this range. But IIRC and finding a few random images confirms it, amounts for that storm/the top end fcst amounts were not as high as what we are seeing with this one.

I think the biggest parallel it has to GHD I is that (if I’m remembering correctly) it’s been showing a major (8+ inches) snow system over the region 7-8 days out from the start. Obviously, we have days to go before the consistency can be fully judged. But if so, would be like GHD I in a modeling perspective.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

00z GEFS members, mean (with sample points), 6"+ probs, and 12"+ probs. Hopefully 00z ECMWF and EPS hold serve if not improve. 4a26aca0ebe2842bfcaf6f3ac176c3c3.jpgcd4aef073b1ad443a71df199c141eea4.jpg7849457bc684520ec636acfb7f359346.jpg74be866776cc66eb9c8ec7b771644383.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Very impressive around Chicago for a 10:1 mean at this distance.

IF we can get the heaviest synoptic band to run through the area combined with such a prolonged period of lake enhancement, there's no telling what could happen.  

• Like 1

I know the Canadian ensembles (GEPS) aren't nearly as commonly cited as the EPS and GEFS, but they too were more juiced with the 00z run than the 12z run. The operational run is not something that can be fully discounted, but viewed in the context of the ensemble shows that there's a majority of members with an evolution that results in main snow swath farther north.

This is one of the reasons I don't really get too caught up in the UKMET. Without access to the ensemble, there's no way to know how it fits within the spread of the ensemble output.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thundersnow12 said:

The old threads are still there it's just a matter of trying to find images still on there showing accumulations at this range. But IIRC and finding a few random images confirms it, amounts for that storm/the top end fcst amounts were not as high as what we are seeing with this one.

I still have alot of those images on my old computer. That did briefly trend south to the point of being a i70 special but then came back north. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I know the Canadian ensembles (GEPS) aren't nearly as commonly cited as the EPS and GEFS, but they too were more juiced with the 00z run than the 12z run. The operational run is not something that can be fully discounted, but viewed in the context of the ensemble shows that there's a majority of members with an evolution that results in main snow swath farther north.

This is one of the reasons I don't really get too caught up in the UKMET. Without access to the ensemble, there's no way to know how it fits within the spread of the ensemble output.

Yeah definitely a scenario that can happen if that arctic high pushes east and south quicker. The air mass coming in behind this is pretty impressively cold so that would definitely shunt precip south if that arctic high positioned too close to our area. Hoping that's not the case. Really haven't had a solid winter storm yet here this year. Just a few minor to moderate events. 

13 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Not feeling too optimistic about being this far northwest. Looks like a wicked hit for someone too. Really too bad.

Euro is a tick south of 12z

Well heavy snow swath ended up a lot more than a tick south. Man that was a painful run. Going to absolutely suck to miss out on this if I do because it's going to be close and whoever gets in on this will probably see some impressive double digit totals. Going to be a long few days.....

3 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

Euro continues the trend Joe was mentioning. Naso good. Alek gonna be punting come morning and can’t say I blame him. Still crazy high amounts in the main axis but that axis is Indy to NW OH. A snoozer axis

8D0DA569-2361-4624-A1C1-58ADE9EE7306.gif.08494e4916e9423a8332d0c3adab3f66.gif

Yeah unfortunately I wouldn't be shocked to see the south trend continue. I mean missed the last storm nw so might as well miss one se now. Ha. Hoping it can come back north some but it's going to be limited because of that arctic high. 

The more important thing is that it's still a very big snow on the Euro.  I'd be more concerned if there were significant backing off on amounts in the main corridor than shifts in placement at this point.  

The stakes are high so we'll probably be living and dying with each model/cycle more than usual.  Lol

• Like 5

Just now, Hoosier said:

The more important thing is that it's still a very big snow on the Euro.  I'd be more concerned if there were significant backing off on amounts in the main corridor than shifts in placement at this point.  

The stakes are high so we'll probably be living and dying with each model/cycle more than usual.  Lol

This to the nth degree. Lol

3 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

Euro continues the trend Joe was mentioning. Naso good. Alek gonna be punting come morning and can’t say I blame him. Still crazy high amounts in the main axis but that axis is Indy to NW OH. A snoozer axis

8D0DA569-2361-4624-A1C1-58ADE9EE7306.gif.08494e4916e9423a8332d0c3adab3f66.gif

If it was the euro of yesteryear I would be punting too. That model and this region don't have a decent record in recent years with winter events. 

Tomorrow I'll fire up the old computer to see which model it was that did what the euro is kinda doing at this range with the suppression crap. 

Ofcourse this is still a ways out and many things can change. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah good point.  Nice to see it's not a strung out pos that's shifted south like so many times in the recent past lol.

The full operational ECMWF runs have actually had quite a bit of variability the past few days. Just last night had a similar situation. Changes aloft were overall fairly subtle from the 12z run that resulted in farther south orientation of the heaviest banding.

We're still well far out enough that various aspects of this setup of far from being nailed down. You can point to a particular feature on the operational runs to be rightfully concerned about if that's how it plays out. We still have plenty of other data to say that this run and the other operational runs fall well within envelope of solutions that we've seen of the ensemble members.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah good point.  Nice to see it's not a strung out pos that's shifted south like so many times in the recent past lol.

Despite what I said in my other post, I'd be lying if there wasn't some sense of personal deflation after that run.  Have to constantly fight the urge to overreact to individual runs at this point.

• Like 4

• Brian D changed the title to Feb 1 -3 GHD III
  • Rjay locked this topic