Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

Gonna ask a couple tough questions:

1) Lot of people here have been saying the GFS has been outperforming the Euro on our snow threats this January; why would this be different? Non-rhetorical or pointed, I'm genuinely asking if this is a different case.

2) I hear a lot of "the Euro normally overamps," so why would this be different considering it's the same situation we're staring down (the Euro looking strong and aggressive, the GFS weaker and OTS).

Just playing devil's advocate and trying to broaden my knowledge. I want to latch onto the Euro and snuggle it in bed with me here shortly (if I can even sleep), but I'm getting that lump in my throat I had several years ago during The Storm That Shall Not Be Named where I sat looking at my radar and nearly punted my phone out the window. Not an equivalent circumstance, of course - as is probably best they've been very conservative in hyping this and we're much further out.

Just now, Dodsworth said:

why is the gfs given more credence than any other model? Just curious. No, I don't know anything. Been following the "storm" on here for a couple days and notice that what the GFS spits out seems like its more important to the board than the Euro or Canadian or NAM. 

It's been a crap model for a long time but it got 1 or 2 things right this winter and people have recency bias I guess. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Yup that's all she wrote. I think the Euro is gonna lose this one. GFS has been killing it this season.

Jesus, can you people stop with posts like this? It adds nothing to the discussion.

The GFS has been doing the windshield wiper thing the last few days. Not saying it's wrong but it hasn't been that consistent either. The final solution is far from locked in at this point.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

Jesus, can you people stop with posts like this? It adds nothing to the discussion.

The GFS has been doing the windshield wiper thing the last few days. Not saying it's wrong but it hasn't been that consistent either. The final solution is far from locked in at this point.

Normally I would think the GFS is just doing its normal waffling but it has done really well this season. 

It also highlights what a thread the needle storm this really is.

All it takes is that sw hanging back a little longer and we get almost nothing.

13 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Ugly GFS run. 

As I said last night the GFS is stubborn with these solutions. The other models will jump around a bit more. All we need for a snow forecast here is for the European model to hold where it is. If we see the European model start trending further out to the east our big snowstorm is in trouble.

WX/PT

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Canadian not a huge change to me, went a little west. Goes just inside the B/M and runs into the outer Cape. Would be a good hit for just about everyone, biggie east of NYC. I'm not that concerned about the GFS at this point. It's been pretty inconsistent overall.

Gefs just went more east. Gefs blew the storm 2 weeks ago.

Just now, HVSnowLover said:

Thats why i've worked on establishing rules to not get as caught up in every single run of every model.  

That's a sound strategy 5 days and more, but I think starting now it's pretty fun to follow along intently. Although, if you care about your loved ones it's probably not the healthiest way to go about it.

• Like 1

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

Yeah you're right about that. The GFS/GEFS does have a progressive bias which matters significantly when the goalposts are so narrow.

Big Euro run coming. It just needs to hold.

Can't speak for how that's gone this winter but I think that's been fixed in the last upgrade (last winter it was called the v16).