• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

If the trof doesn't collapse and let this slide east, I don't think we've seen the upper echelon of modeled QPF potential with this. I definitely would not forecast an historic event at this point due to high failure potential, but I could see a few huge QPF bomb runs over the next few days. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, eduggs said:

If the trof doesn't collapse and let this slide east, I don't think we've seen the upper echelon of modeled QPF potential with this. I definitely would not forecast an historic event at this point due to high failure potential, but I could see a few huge QPF bomb runs over the next few days. 

One of my favorite things you've said and I consider you one of the more knowledgeable people in this forum!  I haven't been this pumped up for a storm in a long time...probably since Boxing Day....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, eduggs said:

The kuchera maps are already showing 30+ inches in the jackpot zone on a lot of runs. I know with the winds the kuchera maps be off a bit.   

22 minutes ago, eduggs said:

I definitely agree. There’ll be a heck of an easterly moist feed into the storm from the warmer than average Atlantic. I can see there being a couple of death bands with a few inches per hour. Great upper level dynamics too as the lows close off to maximize lift. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jt17 said:

Would love to see the GFS be a little more amped and a little more tucked next run, but superstitiously I hope it doesn't look too good. Lol 

I think the GFS was getting there but the evolution of it was a little too progressive. Upper air lows close off a little too late for people west of Suffolk County. We want a slowed down amped evolution like the Euro. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Franklin0529 said:

Do u think gfs will eventually cave?

We're all just pretty much guessing. If the GFS eventually shifts westward I expect it to shift slowly. It has exhibited relatively high run to run consistency at this range recently, even when it was an outlier.

If I had to guess the eventual outcome I'd say offshore track east of the 18z Euro but with a mature upper level circulation and expansive northwestern precipitation shield (i.e. trof pretty far east but wrapped up). Good hit for LI, parts of CT, and maybe coastal NJ with NYC right on the edge of good snow.  In other words I expect a late phase but an explosive tilting and deepening of the trof thereafter. Just a wild guess though.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

Just now, eduggs said:

We're all just pretty much guessing. If the GFS eventually shifts westward I expect it to shift slowly. It has exhibited relatively high run to run consistency at this range recently, even when it was an outlier.

If I had to guess the eventual outcome I'd say offshore track east of the 18z Euro but with a mature upper level circulation and expansive northwestern precipitation shield (i.e. trof pretty far east but wrapped up). Good hit for LI, parts of CT, and maybe coastal NJ with NYC right on the edge of good snow.  In other words I expect a late phase but an explosive tilting and deepening of the trof thereafter. Just a wild guess though.

Thanks for the insight 

• Haha 1

18Z Euro individual members just as robust if not more robust than 12Z.

Control is 20" NYC and mean is about 11".  29 of 51 member at or over 12".

12 members at or over 20".

Signal from Euro remains strong.  Control still targets SNJ with 20-25" at 10:1.

Not locking into any one solution by any means but I'm impressed with persistence of op euro and ensembles up to this point.  Some of the ensemble members are total crush jobs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Signal from Euro remains strong.  Control still targets SNJ with 20-25" at 10:1.

Not locking into any one solution by any means but I'm impressed with persistence of op euro and ensembles up to this point.  Some of the ensemble members are total crush jobs.

Can you give a break down of central Jersey coast

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, MANDA said:

These write ups are awesome 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Big cluster showing a bomb south of Montauk. Those would probably be 20”+ for most of us. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, qg_omega said:

Remember, Euro has a severe westward bias in these situations.  GFS will lead the way here. Never forget, 60 hr lead time

781CA1B2-E4AE-4127-888A-3CF4841B0B95.jpeg

I’m hoping that’s been fixed to an extent but it’s always a concern. These big ocean storms often trend east a little at the end. I certainly hope the Euro’s not that overdone and we see other models trend toward it. 

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

I'm going to bump this post

Aware of past over amplifications.  Not sure if that has been corrected or not.  Only counter to that is there is at least moderate support from ensembles for very significant totals over parts of this forum.

Exactly where is yet to be determined.

• Like 1