Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Don't forget the bands are almost always a little west of model depictions during the storm.

Agree, I also am sure the ratios will be between than 10-1 in most places in a cold storm like this. People exaggerate when they say the ratio maps have no merit. The final ratios usually end up somewhere between 10-1 and the Kuchera map output and the western fringes should have a better shot at lining up with the Kuchera ratios anyway. 

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I think it's a timing issue which more times than not usually resolves favorably. It's very hard for the models to pinpoint exactly how quickly the different pieces are moving.

This is so very close. It really doesn't take a lot to get a monster solution out of that run. Usually, the big ones will do that, yeah. We'll see. EPS still had some big hits at 00z. Curious to see what 12z does after that run now. 

3 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

FORKY we are sooooo close!

Yes verrrrry close where you and I are. Would take tiny changes aloft and at the surface to add 10” to our totals. And yes oftentimes banding makes it west of modeled in these storms. If that low consolidated west on the Euro just a few hours sooner…. Wow. 

No large scale overall changes with 12Z EURO.  Just "noise" in my opinion.  Remains close to something better but I think it is going to be just a little too late for most of this forum to cash in on double digit totals.  NJ coast and L.I. best chances for 12"+.  Amounts will taper quickly N and W of I95.  Would go with 4-8" NYC.  NW NJ 1-3, maybe 2-4".  I think final outcome could be close to what 12Z EURO is showing.  Having said that any minor adjustments could send totals upward and further to the NW as well.  Gut feeling is this is just going to be a little too late for much higher than what I've described.  Still a delicate situation that bears watching for adjustment.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It's a little messy. If you're counting on a massive storm then temper those expectations.

The odds of everything aligning perfectly in this pattern is very unlikely though not impossible. 

My expectations are very low for this.  NYC east has much better odds, excellent odds for eastern LI. 

3-6? That's I think our best case scenario in these parts barring some big change.

11 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

No, the H5s are depicted beautifully. The surface is depicted a bit poorly. In my opinion. 

I always go by H5 over sfc when looking at models. This H5 -to me- screams KU

I'll ask you the same question I asked someone else earlier. What good is a favorable H5 if the surface doesn't reflect it? Are you also saying that perhaps the surface features on the next run will better reflect the H5?

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It just seemed like a bit of a sloppy evolution with multiple lows trying to consolidate when it was our turn at the table so to speak. Boston got the finished 7-course entree, we got the cooks trying to throw things on the plates. 

Thanks.  I guess my question was more about the surface depiction and how it doesnt match what you would expect based on the h5.  That's all due to chasing to the east?  

And wouldn't one expect the ingested previous data to play "catch" up on the next runs?  Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, larrye said:

I'll ask you the same question I asked someone else earlier. What good is a favorable H5 if the surface doesn't reflect it? Are you also saying that perhaps the surface features on the next run will better reflect the H5?

It's not even about what's going to be depicted on this run or the next, what he's trying to say is if H5 literally looked like that in real time as the storm happened, the output would be for more snow than the model runs are spitting out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I’m more glad that the east/sloppier trend on the Euro reversed. There’s still plenty of time for improvements. This definitely ain’t the final verdict here. 

Definitely either way.  This is going to be a tightrope walk and watch situation as these coastals often are.  Boxing Day and Jan 2015 come to mind quite a bit, but even some of the big ones we had in March the last five years or so ended up being a nowcast situation where the bands set up and pivoShow Repliest.  A 25-30 mile difference or edge west or east makes big differences.

2 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Thanks.  I guess my question was more about the surface depiction and how it doesnt match what you would expect based on the h5.  That's all due to chasing to the east?  

Possibly. Models today seem to be developing a meso low/convective-based low over the Gulf Stream as the coastal low gets going. The upper air dynamics eventually capture it all and consolidate it but it happens verbatim a little too late for us except for far eastern areas. And yes it can happen. It happened with our storm earlier this month but over time the coastal low became better defined and hopefully this one does too. 

• Thanks 1

This would be a very welcome and appreciated snow event for this forum if expectations were not set so high early in the week with some of the very intense and epic solutions the Euro and EPS were showing and at times CMC and GFS back 5-7 days out.  Given the winter so far if this forum gets something close to the 12Z Euro take it and run!

Just now, jm1220 said:

If you compare this 12z to 0z last night (not 6z) it's overall a little better. So it improved its way even beyond 0z after the lousy 6z. It'll be interesting to see EPS as well and how many tucked in monsters we have.

Agreed. With how close that looked I wouldn't be surprised to see a few crushers in the spread.