Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

4 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

That's the problem. Canadian/UK on your side vs. Euro/GFS is not where you want to be this close to the event. Need some fairly significant changes by 12z with the major models (the GFS in particular) or else this is starting to look more significant than major for a lot of us.

Gfs and euro are worlds apart. 

• Like 1

Just now, Franklin0529 said:

Looks like the rgem has the double barrel low too. Weird

I think/hope that's just noise - eventually when it's cleaned up closer to the event it should have a positive impact on how the storm eventually looks 

43 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Anyone hanging their hopes on Kuchera totals is in for disappointment.  Except for perhaps western and northern edges of the snow shield.

Yea I've seen so many posters saying why the winds will make this not super high ratio and the 12:1 ratios seem reasonable way to forecast this, maybe higher well inland if enough precip gets there.    

2 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Models still showing a pretty sharp cutoff just NW of NYC but historically it's rare for a storm to drill NYC and significant snow not to make it to at least I287 as there is usually a band on the NW edge of the good stuff. 

1/4/18 might be a decent analog for this-where the cutoff sets up, not the storm evolution. The "hope" line for me is I-287/87 to I-84 on east. NW of there I think is done for more than a few inches. I definitely do buy the sharp cutoff idea and we'll be riding where the western fronto band can make it. 

18 minutes ago, North and West said:

Question for you: One of the few non-anecdotal stats I I know from reading the boards for 20+ years is that it's tough to get 10+" of snow in NYC and points south with a +AO and +NAO.

There are obvious exceptions (March 1993) of course, but… Why would this be different?

TIA. Solely wondering out of curiosity.

This is correct. I will try to post the data later.

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Blizzardo said:

Exactly... i always go by 10:1 in these gigs. Anything more is butter....

People say this all the time and time after time we end up with 12, 15 even 20-1 ratios in different setups somewhat frequently. This will be more than 10, more like 12-15

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snowlover11 said:

talking and guessing ratios are nearly impossible.  so much needs to go right.. Dynamics, Snow rate, etc

It's about being stuck in a lucky band too. If you're in an area of crappy lift, expect crappy ratios. That's before the wind gets to breaking the flakes apart. 

Not to say it won't be above 10-1 in some places near the coast but the Kuchera 15-1 ratios or whatever won't happen. Maybe well inland where winds are less, but the good banding probably won't make it there to help with lift.