Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

1 minute ago, dseagull said:

Thank god for that.  Majority of the state has watches. 

Screenshot_20220127-083927_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ba7fa2c19223ea7a07aee67683b68971.jpg

Where would y'all be without us North Jerseyans spending all our dough there every summer:) ( Don't answer that ). Seriously, when the fishing was good back in the day, Barnegat Bay, while never the fish factory that Delaware and Raritan were, had some of the finest fishing anywhere in the country. And it was largely sheltered from the worst winds. Used to catch winter flounder near the nuclear plant.....bluefish, weakfish, blowfish, even porgies at one time. 

• Like 1

A lot of chatter about QPF and not much about ratios, considering that it will be in the teens to maybe 25F (forecasted high in NYC for Saturday), we may be looking at enhanced accumulations based on ratios. Models always struggle with this element with what accumulates on the ground, either overestimating with marginal temperatures, or underestimating. Snow total maps are almost always erroneous in that regard. We're on the favorable side this time around.

1 minute ago, Shades said:

A lot of chatter about QPF and not much about ratios, considering that it will be in the teens to maybe 20F (forecasted high in NYC for Saturday), we may be looking at enhanced accumulations based on ratios. Models always struggle with this element with what accumulates on the ground, either overestimating with marginal temperatures, or underestimating. Snow total maps are almost always erroneous in that regard. We're on the favorable side this time around.

Temps dropping throughout the storm per nws too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shades said:

A lot of chatter about QPF and not much about ratios, considering that it will be in the teens to maybe 20F (forecasted high in NYC for Saturday), we may be looking at enhanced accumulations based on ratios. Models always struggle with this element with what accumulates on the ground, either overestimating with marginal temperatures, or underestimating. Snow total maps are almost always erroneous in that regard. We're on the favorable side this time around.

Winds wipe out ratios.. so dont get hopes up for high ratios

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Where would y'all be without us North Jerseyans spending all our dough there every summer:) ( Don't answer that ). Seriously, when the fishing was good back in the day, Barnegat Bay, while never the fish factory that Delaware and Raritan were, had some of the finest fishing anywhere in the country. And it was largely sheltered from the worst winds. Used to catch winter flounder near the nuclear plant.....bluefish, weakfish, blowfish, even porgies at one time. 

It's my backyard to this day and run charters part-time 8 months of the year.  I've come to enjoy our micro-climate.  Let's see how this storm comes together.  You guys are due for a good one up there.  

12 minutes ago, Shades said:

A lot of chatter about QPF and not much about ratios, considering that it will be in the teens to maybe 25F (forecasted high in NYC for Saturday), we may be looking at enhanced accumulations based on ratios. Models always struggle with this element with what accumulates on the ground, either overestimating with marginal temperatures, or underestimating. Snow total maps are almost always erroneous in that regard. We're on the favorable side this time around.

Ratios are determined by what happens in the cloud not surface temps. That part will help but if we see 50mph gusts, the flakes get broken up and ratios are close to 10-1 regardless. I’ve seen several systems where we had teens but tiny or sand flakes with lousy snow growth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Absolutely 

Could not agree more.  Where and when will absolutely dictate who gets what.

So close to something amazing.  Not that 12" for some spots is not good but expectations were set very high early on with this and then with constant posting of the Kuchera maps that skews expectations.

12Z runs will be interesting.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wishcast_hater said:

I know we all want YUGE snows but why are we so bent on discounting what the models are saying at this point?  It seems they all point to a super tight gradient with the majority of big snows off to the east and yet we wont accept it. Believe me I want 20 + inches.

Because the models are having significant issues with H5. The standard room for error at h5 encompasses some of these potential changes. 

One slightly different phase and your whole storm is different. Can't always just take models lock stock and barrel

In theory... High resolution short range models should have your best shot here

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wishcast_hater said:

I know we all want YUGE snows but why are we so bent on discounting what the models are saying at this point?  It seems they all point to a super tight gradient with the majority of big snows off to the east and yet we wont accept it. Believe me I want 20 + inches.

I'm accepting it and have been accepting it for at least the last two days for my location. Will take significant changes to get my area in 12"+ snows and I'm not expecting it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wishcast_hater said:

Plenty of people are accepting that. I definitely am. It likely ends up the 50 mile range again between a very nice easy warning event and a small nuisance. Hopefully that’s west of the city so the most can enjoy it. 

• Like 3