Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 20-22 “bring the mojo” winter storm threat

lilj4425

17 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Who knows. I'm thinking we're not going to have any road issues until it gets below 30 and that is not going to happen until Friday evening. Round one is not going to produce any problems. It's round two gets going earlier it's likely going to be on the south side and more sleet Friday morning with temps 33-35. Maybe colder up the peninsula. 

3k NAM, Euro and GFS have the 2M temp below OC between 0Z and 6Z Friday (Thursday evening) at Moyock and HR so I am thinking if that holds true, most of the night below freezing with the ground already near freezing should allow for surfaces to freeze by the middle of the night. NWS is calling for temps just above freezing later on Friday briefly, but models aren't agreeing with that and if enough frozen precip falls before that point it likely won't make it above 0C at the surface. Lots of unknowns for sure but erring on the side of caution because of that and data pointing to a Thursday night freeze, that's what I am going with.

24 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

Nah…. Maybe 1/4” - 1/3” but Models always over do ice 

This might be a rare case in which the emphatic statement is probably true.

I think most people on this board would agree - ice progs just don't usually pan out in reality. That should be good news.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

If this falls apart 48 hours out the globals will never be trusted again for winter storms around here. 

Dude..you sing this same song everytime.  Models are tools. experienced Mets who are paid for this look at science not just models. stop living and dying by models and their effectiveness.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

I can only speak for myself but I believe he’s using a bit of experience with these systems…. How they act Or “Overachieve” in overrunning  ect. I didn’t even realize he’d been in CLT on WBTV as long as anyone I guess bc he’s in the morning I never noticed but he’s also been there since I was a kid like BP,Crum,East,EricT(Retired). 

He is the new Chief Meteorologist at WBTV. But noone can replace Eric Thomas!!! However Al Conklin has been known to be a snow lover!!

3 minutes ago, wxdawg10 said:

Dude..you sing this same song everytime.  Models are tools. experienced Mets who are paid for this look at science not just models. stop living and dying by models and their effectiveness.

Just saying when all the globals line up 48 hours out and if it doesn't happen that's not a good look. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Gonna be honest and maybe this is my inner weenie but I'm tossing that NAM run. As it was progressing on 5h I thought precip would hold serve. The precip shield at 21z Friday looked suspiciously dry. 

I'm afraid it's now a trend over the last couple of cycles. 6z RGEM, 6z NAM, and 12z NAM all went in that direction. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

This might be a rare case in which the emphatic statement is probably true.

I think most people on this board would agree - ice progs just don't usually pan out in reality. That should be good news.

Thanks y'all 

3 minutes ago, VABILLUPS1 said:

About 30 hours continuous snow on the 12z NAM for SE Virginia from around midnight Friday to Saturday morning - model now combines the FROPA snow and the 2nd wave. Close to an all-timer if it verifies. 

image.thumb.png.791e38ad921988e23645eff0d3ae15d9.png

No kidding, I can't recall an event that lasted that long in HR if that verifies.

• Like 1

I’ll be honest- this is a tough one. We’re relying on a low and precip to literally pop overhead as the energy is passing by. No way any model will have a good handle on exactly when that will happen 48 hours out. Literally a few hours makes a huge difference. Not like there will be a precipitation shield moving through the south we/models can hone in on before it gets here. If I’m west of the Triangle, I’m sweating now. Triangle has the nerves on edge after living rent free yesterday. NE NC and SE VA feeling pretty awesome

• Like 3

1 hour ago, senc30 said:

I know everyone is excited about the snow but being here in Jacksonville, I am extremely concerned about a catastrophic ice event. Am I over thinking this or am I right to be worried?

I'm in Jacksonville as well, models haven't been looking good for us in regards to ice potential. Kinda nervous about it as well.

I will say this- I’m not pushing the panic button yet unless the euro/cmc cave at 12z. CAMs struggle with LP development due to convective feedback and we really aren’t in the timeframe thar is considered to be their wheelhouse yet. The 6z euro and 0z Canadian had actually trended very favorably from their previous runs. Definitely more on edge than 24 hours ago but still feel like central NC-east is in a good spot

• Like 5