Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

2 hours ago, pasnownut said:

all of the jibber jabber about getting weather stations actually has me somewhat interested.  Dont worry, I'll just peruse the history here if I decide to invest. Seems pretty cool w/ all the stuff you guys post.  Dumb question tho.  Is that .71 a digital number that you are shown or do you have to do something special to get it?  I have KLNS data to reference for my area, but can tell you that many many times what they get varies greatly from what i get regarding rain snow wind temps etc

I actually don’t use a digital weather station for tracking precip. My preferred method is the tried and true cylinder gauge, which I manually check every morning. I use the “official” cylinder gauge with the inner gauge that measures up to one inch before overflowing into the larger outer cylinder.  Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I believe this is the gauge that is required to be used for all Cocorahs members and perhaps even NWS observers? Automated gauges can be very handy and accurate but I still don’t trust them in certain instances. What can I say, I’m just old-school in a lot of ways ha. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, paweather said:

That radar down south looks like it is coming to us

Speaking of that, this post from PSU in the MA is some good info as the flow really is backing.   Seeing this WV loops really affirms that there is a big storm coming for someone (as long as it gets far enough north into the cold sector) 

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=us&product=wv-mid

The WV loop is a thing of beauty. The flow is really backing in the TN valley. This has a classic look for the mid Atlantic!

Btw I still like to look at the WV sometimes just to get a feel for the flow. I’ll never forget being in the psu weather center the day before the Jan 2000 storm trying to argue with the meteorologists on duty that it was clear from the WV and IR that the mid and upper levels were way more amplified and the flow was backing much more than any of the nwp was showing over the Miss Valley.  They were pretty dismissive…”it’s only 24 hours, the models would be picking up on it”  lol  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I actually don’t use a digital weather station for tracking precip. My preferred method is the tried and true cylinder gauge, which I manually check every morning. I use the “official” cylinder gauge with the inner gauge that measures up to one inch before overflowing into the larger outer cylinder.  Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I believe this is the gauge that is required to be used for all Cocorahs members and perhaps even NWS observers? Automated gauges can be very handy and accurate but I still don’t trust them in certain instances. What can I say, I’m just old-school in a lot of ways ha. 

An official coop gauge has 8” collection where the stratus gauge is 4”.   For the most part they read the same but can get off on either lighter drizzle rates over heavier 1-2” rates.   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Harsh.....but true....

angelic voice tho.........

darker than yours?  

all seriousness....gone WAYYY too soon.

Yes, gone way too soon. And yes, I know who Karen Carpenter is despite having zero overlap of our time on this earth.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

I mentioned yesterday that our best chance was with the Monday event.

That late week only looked good on Euro. It appears the late week gets caught up in the fast flow.

That late week system has looked good on everything that goes out that far and their ensembles not named the GFS op the last few runs, though the GEFS has looked like it’s started to support GFS op some with 6 and 12z today lessening it’s snow/QPF mean. 

Don’t really think fast flow is the issue, I mean this thing coming up tomorrow is in the same fast flow regime. It looks like GFS may be deeper with the mid-week feature over the Great Lakes that reinforces our cold and possibly sets the table for that event (something I mentioned was probably going to be a key for that late week threat). Also might be somewhat faster with the shortwave that would cause the 1/7 event. So could be why that particular model has been squashing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superstorm said:

I mentioned yesterday that our best chance was with the Monday event.

That late week only looked good on Euro. It appears the late week gets caught up in the fast flow.

Late week has looked good on Every model & ensemble on & off the last few days.

We are in good shape for Thursday night.