Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

10 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

While technically correct....12z was far from inspiring....and to me....the word poof came to mind.

Glad 18z took a shot of vodka and straightened out a bit.  

I could stare at the loop of the 12z CMC for a long time before i get bored of looking at it.  Thats how to run a snowstorm round these parts...

The Euro, Canadian & the ensembles have had the Friday storm most runs the last few days, while the GFS has been bouncing around.

I also enjoyed the 12z Canadian today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

The DP, on the Nam, goes from the mid 20's at midnight to the mid teens mid Monday morning...near the M/D line.   Not a recipe for snow when the 2M temps are in the upper 20s mid morning. 

Saw this post earlier but just now getting a chance to post - this is a great observation. Certainly don't want THAT dry of air and wishing for snow to be falling. Give me 28/25, not 28/15. 

• Thanks 1

(5/5) What does this mean for us? Systems like this are notorious for having a tight snowfall gradient. 50 miles can separate a coating from double-digit totals. Accumulating snow is unlikely north of the Mason-Dixon line, with the highest totals just S/E of I-95. #MdWx #vawx

20m

(4/5) Lastly, snowfall is often heaviest where difluence is greatest in the mid-levels of the atmosphere. In the image below, this is indicated by the solid, black lines (geopotential height contours) spreading apart from one another in the outlined area.

View image on Twitter
    21m

(3/5) This one's a bit technical, but the highest snowfall totals and best rates usually occur along and just north of the strongest mid-level frontogenesis/warm air advection (two more indicators of rising motion and precip). This is often where the "deformation band" sets up.

View image on Twitter
    21m

(2/5) In the sounding just southeast of the I-95 corridor, the dry layer isn't present, meaning that snow's actually reaching the ground. Now, in the sounding below, strong upward motion co-located with the Dendritic Growth Zone (DGZ) is a great indicator of high snowfall rates..

View image on Twitter
    21m

(1/5) Here's why it can be very misleading to look only at snowfall/precipitation output from models. A dry layer of air in the mid- and low-levels on the sounding near the Mason-Dixon line means that snowfall likely won't reach the ground (virga) despite the model suggesting it.

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Saw this post earlier but just now getting a chance to post - this is a great observation. Certainly don't want THAT dry of air and wishing for snow to be falling. Give me 28/25, not 28/15. 

Or if 28/15, a beast charging up from the gulf vs. The weak low we have right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Sorry for the convoluted post above, it's a series of 5 posts on why MU believes there will be NO snow accumulation north of the M/D line tomorrow. (start at the bottom post and read up) 

It’s very well possible but I’d have to believe someone in York Lancaster or Adams reports at least 1” tomorrow 

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Sorry for the convoluted post above, it's a series of 5 posts on why MU believes there will be NO snow accumulation north of the M/D line tomorrow. (start at the bottom post and read up) 

It's good stuff and spot on based on the current models.  We have a low sitting off VA Beach and no snow in our hoods....dry air is the answer I would think.  In combo with the weak push from the low.   Low gets above VA Beach and LSV is in play. 

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It's good stuff and spot on based on the current models.  We have a low sitting off VA Beach and no snow in our hoods....dry air is the answer I would think.  In combo with the weak push from the low.   Low gets above VA Beach and LSV is in play. 

Yea dry air is definitely an inhibitor in this boundary type setup with the cold pressing. Otherwise if the low does in fact track to VA Beach like the GFS especially has suggested, that still is typically an okay track for the southern half of the area (Delmarva is ideal for C-PA). I feel some accumulating snow would find a way just across the M/D if it did that. A lot of the short/near term guidance take the low pressure off at the OBX, which probably would result in accumulating staying below the M/D line. 

8 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Yea dry air is definitely an inhibitor in this boundary type setup with the cold pressing. Otherwise if the low does in fact track to VA Beach like the GFS especially has suggested, that still is typically an okay track for the southern half of the area (Delmarva is ideal for C-PA). I feel some accumulating snow would find a way just across the M/D if it did that. A lot of the short/near term guidance take the low pressure off at the OBX, which probably would result in accumulating staying below the M/D line. 

Yea, this forum is basically down to GFS or bust when it comes to model watching.   The RAP and other lesser used short term models still show "decent" snow in far S/E LSV. 

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The Euro, Canadian & the ensembles have had the Friday storm most runs the last few days, while the GFS has been bouncing around.

I also enjoyed the 12z Canadian today.

Comment was regarding nooner gfs op, as it raised Pa’s eyebrow as it went poof.  Wasn’t referring to others  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Me thinks a lot of people in our neck of the woods are in for quite the virga storm. 

Me thinks all peeps in our neck of the woods north of 30 know they’ve been largely out if it. Sure many want a pleasant surprise, but odds have been against. Like I suggested earlier if I get 1-2” I’d be giddy as while that’s a stretch, it’s not too far fetched. 

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Hrrr has slowly been edging northwest with the precip field and north with the low position. 

Yep, was just going to post.  Low position slightly north and west and shield north (just slightly).   Not a big difference (well maybe for you) all together but interesting model follow.