• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
East coast storm targets our subforum Noon Sunday-3PM Monday 1/16-17/22 with significant impact potential for heavy snow/heavy rain, a period of gusts 45-60 MPH along the coast with possible coastal flooding Monday morning high tide.

wdrag

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

While the 12z hi res Nam is still a little out of its best range, it has a similar look. One wild card for the wind gust potential is where the meso lows pop to the east of the main parent low. The hi res Nam is showing one wind maxima near the Jersey Shore to Western Long Island. Then another stronger one with meso low out near Eastern Long Island.

E1CDA95C-0F93-49A4-8C17-D56A930A3F45.thumb.png.cc7c92487c42817844e52bb619f52be8.png

E69F1439-5629-4F94-BF67-C17ACEA4BDD0.thumb.png.078a27492832e1020e49c60302ab6ad3.png

Was digging into the models and in looking at the HRRR from 12z it seems to be slightly less intense with the strength of the 850mb jet as compared to the NAM.  The result is more snow in inland locations.  The NAM has 1-2” vs 3-6” on the HRRR.  Any thoughts on this?

54 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

Was digging into the models and in looking at the HRRR from 12z it seems to be slightly less intense with the strength of the 850mb jet as compared to the NAM.  The result is more snow in inland locations.  The NAM has 1-2” vs 3-6” on the HRRR.  Any thoughts on this?

HRRR isn’t in its optimal range yet. I wouldn’t pay much attention to it until the event’s almost here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tatamy said:

Ride the NAM at this range. 

52 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

10 degree weather followed by a rainstorm and then cold temps again is a real bummer

but I have hope

im a big fan of Larry Cosgroves Facebook posts

heres what he had to say:

I suspect a hidden gremlin is the impulse in the subtropical jet stream off of Baja California. Since all of the model ensemble platforms develop a James Bay vortex that interacts with the three jet stream branches near the Virginia Capes January 21, that obscure circulation will hold the moisture and energy keys to both a strong winter weather event and cold wave in the 11-15- and 16-20-day time frames.

Patience. The Siberian Express and a probable Nor'easter are your likely guests during the last ten days of January.

Unfortunately I favor the GFS over the Cosgrove model ATM. - GFS gas plenty of potential and it leaves it at that and we get nothing.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Unfortunately I favor the GFS over the Cosgrove model ATM. - GFS gas plenty of potential and it leaves it at that and we get nothing.......

So you are going with an op run that's definitely going to change  instead of a well thought post by a meteorologist?

• Like 2

Considerations: I84 corridor,  hope HRRR and HRRX are too cold. Otherwise quite a snow/ice problem with power outages  That's what Im getting hints of in the 18Z cycle...and the HRRRX is consistent with its 12z cycle.  So, the bias is probably too cold and am looking for warmer cycles, especially the 00z.  I am thinking the warming above 32F-scouring at the surface high valleys I84 corridor may not complete til after sunrise. If that happens, combined snow/ice will be a warning impact for at least some of this area. 

Pressure falls inflow will tend to turn the surface wind ne-or ene despite se isobars, at least in the interior.

As of this mornings WPC cycles: am thinking the freezing rain risk is being underplayed n off I78 and w of I287 (ne NJ/se NYS and ne PA)

Modeling is weakening the coastal flood threat NJ/NYC... onshore 40-50kt winds too short and pass by, by 12z..however low pressure in the 985 MB range gives a decent surge. So flooding possible but more than minor?? Have my doubts but reserve the opportunity to rereview tomorrow morning.

Modeling also seems to trending to run a little east with the storm in the Carolinas then turns due north to DC-CXY to co-locate with the 850-500MB closed lows. 

Modeling also tending to offer only a 6-12 hr period of too warm for snow, suggesting any back side showers will fall as wet snow Monday, certainly the interior hills of w NJ and ne PA  (closed low and colder thicknesses with the cold pool moving ne from DCA-CXY-which will make for steep moist lapse rates it crosses our area).

No thread title adjustments now, but will re-review in the morning. I think it continues yes to serve reasonably well.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic