• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
East coast storm targets our subforum Noon Sunday-3PM Monday 1/16-17/22 with significant impact potential for heavy snow/heavy rain, a period of gusts 45-60 MPH along the coast with possible coastal flooding Monday morning high tide.

wdrag

We got the big changes - roll the dice scenario - that we needed to get back in the game. The consistent suppression across guidance was depressing. But now we have to live with this huge swings. The UK and EC almost have to adjust now, right?

If the GFS is onto something here, it once again shows the weakness of the GEFS. There was nothing in the spread over the past few runs that would have indicated that this kind of NW shift was imminent. With such a potent shortwave trof you would think it was possible, and you would think a few more ensemble members would reflect that. But the GEFS has been looking unimpressed for Monday.

• Like 1

I hope this is alright to ask in this thread…but I have a 10-mile run to do on Saturday morning which seems to fall smack dab between what Walt is talking about on Friday and this possible Sunday into Monday coastal storm. I already see the NWS calling for a low of 10 on Friday night to a “high” of 23 for Saturday. Running 10 miles is daunting enough in the first place, but can any of you tell me what the wind is gonna be like on Saturday morning? The run is in the Blue Point/Patchogue area on the South Shore of LI. Thanks in advance, I have to work until 1am the night before, so I’d like to have what clothes I’m running in, in advance. 

14 minutes ago, guinness77 said:

I hope this is alright to ask in this thread…but I have a 10-mile run to do on Saturday morning which seems to fall smack dab between what Walt is talking about on Friday and this possible Sunday into Monday coastal storm. I already see the NWS calling for a low of 10 on Friday night to a “high” of 23 for Saturday. Running 10 miles is daunting enough in the first place, but can any of you tell me what the wind is gonna be like on Saturday morning? The run is in the Blue Point/Patchogue area on the South Shore of LI. Thanks in advance, I have to work until 1am the night before, so I’d like to have what clothes I’m running in, in advance. 

If I had to guess right now I'd say it's going to be in the upper single digits or low teens early Saturday morning with gusty winds and windchills around 0 or below. 

48 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

This can definitely be a coastal or inland runner, but there WILL be some snow before any changeover. 

2 to 4?

3 to 6?

Heck in 2014 had 12 before 2 inches of rain then back to 1.5 more 

I tend to think it won't be. The storm ahead of it acts like a 50/50. We could be looking at a classic Miller A here

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rjay said:

If I had to guess right now I'd say it's going to be in the upper single digits or low teens early Saturday morning with gusty winds and windchills around 0 or below. 

God…that was exactly the answer I was hoping I would NOT get. I was hoping maybe there would be a bit of a lull in the winds at that time. Appreciate the answer.  

The EC already looks much more like the GFS than it's previous run. The shortwave trof is hanging back to the SW and much more potent than previous runs. It will turn the corner. Not sure where the SLP ends up... probably east of GFS/CMC. But there's not much stopping a tight coastal track if the s/w hangs back long enough.

• Like 1

• wdrag changed the title to East coast storm targets our subforum Noon Sunday-3PM Monday 1/16-17/22 with significant impact potential for heavy snow/heavy rain, a period of gusts 45-60 MPH along the coast with possible coastal flooding Monday morning high tide.
  • Rjay unpinned this topic