Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
january 3rd potential coastal grazer

forkyfork

• Rjay pinned this topic

the NAM made a huge shift at 500mb, namely in the positive interaction of the NS rather than a negative confluent push, as we had seen a couple of days ago

the initial vort is more amped, which is great, but the NS is now helping to turn heights in a more southerly direction. look at the wind bards S of LI: almost due S from WSW last run. this drastically changes the angle of the PVA

namconus_z500_vort_us_fh36_trend.thumb.gif.0be333e41c8a4aded7d14204da823437.gif

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Latest Gfs stops the NW trend. I think it'll be difficult to tick further from this point on but we'll see.

Could be a very painful radar come Monday morning. 

Yet there were continued incremental improvements in the upper levels with less confluence/ stronger WAR. The north creeps may very well continue up until start time.

• Like 3

Will add the following:  Potential 6-12 hour snowstorm even close to NYC 4A-4P Monday... here is some guidance that is conflicting but warrants concern for a potential 6+" event for parts of e LI, central NJ titrating down to flurries I84.  Exactly what modeling is best... your call. We won't know for sure til Monday night which modeling has been most accurate in the longer and shorter range. 

NWS ensemble at 09z for >1" is still quite conservative NYC as is the SPC SREF.  The HRRRX is also conservative but the normal SREF, last image is bullish. Click for more detail including legend for amounts.  

There may be a little melting at the start, otherwise, where it snows, it should become quite slippery on all surfaces.  Driving possible e LI and central NJ coast if the heavier amounts occur. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 6.33.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 6.38.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 6.43.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 6.45.24 AM.png

• Like 4

Be interesting to see if trends continue. The better wave spacing and even slightly better adjustments to the height field recently have been helping. I'm watching the trends with that throughout the day. Nice to see the gfs do well with the idea of a system for a change. Not perfect by any means, but it had the better idea it would seem. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Be interesting to see if trends continue. The better wave spacing and even slightly better adjustments to the height field recently have been helping. I'm watching the trends with that throughout the day. Nice to see the gfs do well with the idea of a system for a change. Not perfect by any means, but it had the better idea it would seem. 

The confluence has also been weakening to the north 

Just now, MJO812 said:

The confluence has also been weakening to the north 

That's the wave spacing I'm talking about. This system today is getting out of the way a little quicker. Which helps tomorrow's system. Need that to continue. That allows the heights to rise a bit more between them. Instead of squashing it. 

• Like 1

On one hand: Im not a fan of chasing these last minute northward trends. The general gist is a snowstorm just south of us…and 24 hours out, that is a good bet

On the other hand: I wouldnt discount a northward trend on GFS. What garbage on last storm. That alone can not be baseline for prediction

I know its a bad winter, but be careful of wishcasting…

1 minute ago, jfklganyc said:

On one hand: Im not a fan of chasing these last minute northward trends. The general gist a snowstorm just south of us…and 24 hours out, that is a good bet

On the other hand: I wouldnt discount a northward trend on GFS. What garbage on last storm. That alone can not be baseline for prediction

Euro this horrible this time around

No model is bullet proof 

On one hand: Im not a fan of chasing these last minute northward trends. The general gist is a snowstorm just south of us…and 24 hours out, that is a good bet

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

• Rjay unpinned this topic