Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Years Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

6 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

By the way, ORD snow measurements will be in the hands of yours truly from 20z Sat - 4z Sun.

We’ll get you an 18” cylinder that sits in dry ice so that not a flake is lost in the measuring.

Seriously though, possibly super-obvious-answer question: What is the process for measuring snow at ORD? Is there a area specifically designated for it?

@blizzardof96 Latest RDPS is cooler than 06z for the GTA. However, 850's and sfc temperatures are quite marginal. I agree it will start as rain though but how quickly it transitions over is the real question. Those cold NNE winds can be underestimated by models sometimes so perhaps we could cool down rapidly. Might be a long light snow event after the initial thump moves through. 

Still not overly optimistic yet. But I'm thinking 4" away from the Lake and <5cm (2") near the Lake.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The New Year's Day snowfall record is 5". Don't screw up under pressure.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Under pressure...April 15, 2014. Detroit cruised into 2nd place for snowiest all time winters in late February or early March. Truly an epic Winter in the Southern lakes. However they were just a touch short of the 1880-81 record.  That night, 1 to 3" of snow was forecast and 1.9" needed to break the record. And it was very publicized in the media. What a nightmare for the observer. You get a 2" snowfall what's going to happen, if the record is broken you'll have people accusing you of purposely breaking it, if the record is just missed you'll have people accusing you of purposely just missing it. Luckily like most of our things that Winter the snowfall over performed at 3.2" so it was an easy record clincher. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Being near the cutoff in so many models sucks, hopefully the cold overperforms 

I don't know if it is so much the cold more more so the orientation of the precipitation shield. There will likely be a thin area of ice in the transition zone as well. GFS and GEM are locked up with each other. The nam, like many times, is a far outlier but of course still never like to see that.

46 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

@blizzardof96 Latest RDPS is cooler than 06z for the GTA. However, 850's and sfc temperatures are quite marginal. I agree it will start as rain though but how quickly it transitions over is the real question. Those cold NNE winds can be underestimated by models sometimes so perhaps we could cool down rapidly. Might be a long light snow event after the initial thump moves through. 

Still not overly optimistic yet. But I'm thinking 4" away from the Lake and <5cm (2") near the Lake.

Latest 12z GDPS gives the entire GTA snowfall, with the heavier amounts in the northern sections (5-6”)  and less by Lake Ontario (3-4”).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

Yep, the rain/snow transition time will be key. That will be dictated by the track of the surface low. A spatial mean of the 12z GFS/GDPS/RDPS/UKMET/6z ECMWF supports a general 5-10cm south of the 401 and 10-15cm north of the 401. Will see if that holds and whether model consensus starts to build over the next 24-36hrs. I think your forecast is a pretty good starting point with some room to increase if consensus builds.

• Like 1

The NAMs are easy tosses, they are too amplified. Everything else except the ukie is south, and the ukie is worthless as well. Locally my concern is we hang onto a bit of low level warmth but I do think the models are underdoing the CAA a bit especially with the strong high pressing in from the north.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Under pressure...April 15, 2014. Detroit cruised into 2nd place for snowiest all time winters in late February or early March. Truly an epic Winter in the Southern lakes. However they were just a touch short of the 1880-81 record.  That night, 1 to 3" of snow was forecast and 1.9" needed to break the record. And it was very publicized in the media. What a nightmare for the observer. You get a 2" snowfall what's going to happen, if the record is broken you'll have people accusing you of purposely breaking it, if the record is just missed you'll have people accusing you of purposely just missing it. Luckily like most of our things that Winter the snowfall over performed at 3.2" so it was an easy record clincher. 

I remember you being the local celebrity at the time, lol.

• Haha 1