Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

13 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

Is there a reason stuff seems to happen when the NAO changes from positive to negative and negative to positive? Or is that just the way weather works?

I've heard it echoed by the more experienced minds on here that a lot of our best storms come as the pattern starts to breakdown/reload...Now I'm guessing next week we'd be going from negative to neutral? (someone feel free to chime in)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

Is there a reason stuff seems to happen when the NAO changes from positive to negative and negative to positive? Or is that just the way weather works?

Yes, there's a very well studied reason. Heather Archambault did the initial research IIRC. You'll here the term "Archambault Event" around the forum. By simplist definition it's a big east coast storm that occurs during an NAO phase change. Our area likes it when the NAO goes from neg to neutral (or positive)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Trough might be a little too far east, but definitely a chilly look!  Maybe clippers?

Maybe. Weak split out west with some waves undercutting the pna ridge. When you pump the PNA like that with a CPF extension the cold will be there in the East. A well-timed phase would work. But I wouldn't kick a clipper out of the sack either.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

So does WB 6Z GEFS.  Chilly, but dry.  But we can enjoy the expected 2-4 in the short range, and hope something pops in the long range.

E9BF6D0B-76F3-4D0D-92B1-5B2B09F8659F.png

C62BBD5F-11A4-4B93-80D4-CA7B126F7721.png

Thing about that upper level nw flow is that it is gonna be dry most of the time. Need snow on the ground to make it tolerable

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Maybe. Weak split out west with some waves undercutting the pna ridge. When you pump the PNA like that with a CPF extension the cold will be there in the East. A well-timed phase would work. But I wouldn't kick a clipper out of the sack either.

Yeah, looking a bit more closely there is some separation with the pumped-up PNA ridge where you could sneak a shortwave through.  And I certainly wouldn't kick a clipper out of the sack either, LOL!

10 hours ago, mattie g said:

That’s a pretty damn cold look. If we can score a little snow as that settles in, then even it stays dry, we could have a couple weeks of a really wintry feel.

Definitely would be cold.  I was being a bit snarky with my "chilly" comment but it would be nice to have a couple of wintry feeling weeks (and not just cold/dry if we can manage it!).

3 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

GFS Fantasy Storm WB 12Z for 2 weeks out.  Week of 16th as already indicated by many is one to watch.

8E22BAA4-28A6-4CAC-BE47-3011E7CD15DA.png

This is the one I was alerting everyone to yesterday with me traveling and specifically watching the time period because of flights etc.. been showing on accuweather no joke for like over a month. 

4 hours ago, yoda said:

Per the latest zones... DCA is forecasted to reach highs around 30 on Tuesday.  That would be the first time in a while of a subfreezing high at DCA, yes?

Coldest max last winter at DCA was 31, with a few other days at 32; no days at or below 32 in winter 2020. The last time we spent a full day below 30 was early Feb 2019, so hopefully the cold air pans out the next few weeks!

Just now, WinterFire said:

Coldest max last winter at DCA was 31, with a few other days at 32; no days at or below 32 in winter 2020. The last time we spent a full day below 30 was early Feb 2019, so hopefully the cold air pans out the next few weeks!

Yea getting cold has been an issue recently. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic