Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter

Rjay

On 1/31/2022 at 6:25 PM, LibertyBell said:

Proves my point that 20+ should be considered HECS.  You've had 2 of them in that period, I've had 3 (I didn't have Feb 2013 in that list and you didn't have PD2 and Jan 2016, my number 1 storm, in your 20 inch list.)

We’ve had 7 here in SW suffolk since the 90s, based on trained spotter reports in the public information statements from upton: 1996, PDII, Dec 2009, Feb 2013, Jan 2015, Jan 2016, and now Jan 2022. I guess we’ve been really lucky or something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Jealous.  Haven't been there since October.:thumbsup:

We try to come up a few times a year at least. If it wasnt still in NY this would 100% be my retirement spot. Its still on the list though.

53 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

Was just up there but had to leave before the storm 

We got up here yesterday right before the worst of it. Our driveway of our rental house is a disaster, had to give up halfway up the driveway. Oh well.

• Like 1

T looks OK here for the next 30 days average.      There are not even any 5-Day BN periods contained within span.       It is gradually warming overall, especially west of the Mississippi.       However it did look like BN precipitation through the 19th.

1646697600-EryAFOsFsYM.png

8 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Congratulations Walt, hope all are well and healthy!

2 hours ago, wdrag said:

I have a family member to take off at 629P LGA.  I advised yesterday to keep the plan and not cancel.  Now I may regret that advise.  Temp 32F at 3P there will only go down with intermittent on-going precip through about 11PM I think. This means deicing the aircraft and getting it off the ground right away if I read the precip and temp cards correctly.  So the thread is of value and you have alot more info on how model problems develop and where errors can occur.  33 and rain is turning to ice for aircraft...which also prefer no long duration low level holds in this mixed thermal qpf environment.  Wait til sundown when solar insolation disappears and the ground temp drops 2F and suddenly UNTREATED surface ice up quickly like the trees are during the day (Solar influence minimal for non leaved trees) . It's interesting.  

Good evening Walt, Irish. I hope to live long enough to read your grandchildren posts along side of yours. Don can do the stats on the age/probabilities for me. Health, happiness and peace for you and your growing family. As always ….

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good evening Walt, Irish. I hope to live long enough to read your grandchildren posts along side of yours. Don can do the stats on the age/probabilities for me. Health, happiness and peace for you and your growing family. As always ….

Good evening Sir!  My grandson is 2 and with the way kids grow up nowadays he’ll probably be posting on here in about three years or so, I’m confident you’ll be around. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Good evening Sir!  My grandson is 2 and with the way kids grow up nowadays he’ll probably be posting on here in about three years or so, I’m confident you’ll be around. 

Thank you for that confidence. R in the  RCL stands for Rich. I’d feel privileged if you called me that. My four grandchildren call me Poppy. I don’t mind even though it makes me feel like a bagel sometimes. Stay well, safe, warm and inside tonight. As always …

• Like 5

8 hours ago, wdrag said:

I have a family member to take off at 629P LGA.  I advised yesterday to keep the plan and not cancel.  Now I may regret that advise.  Temp 32F at 3P there will only go down with intermittent on-going precip through about 11PM I think. This means deicing the aircraft and getting it off the ground right away if I read the precip and temp cards correctly.  So the thread is of value and you have alot more info on how model problems develop and where errors can occur.  33 and rain is turning to ice for aircraft...which also prefer no long duration low level holds in this mixed thermal qpf environment.  Wait til sundown when solar insolation disappears and the ground temp drops 2F and suddenly UNTREATED surface ice up quickly like the trees are during the day (Solar influence minimal for non leaved trees) . It's interesting.  

Especially with the long duration of the ice, it doesn't even have to be heavy, this light glaze like precip is the most treacherous

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Especially with the long duration of the ice, it doesn't even have to be heavy, this light glaze like precip is the most treacherous

The flight left the gate 10 min late and in the air about 55 min late... had to be the ongoing hazardous conditions and necessary larger separations of aircraft in unsavory ice-snow conditions for safe take off-landings. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Oswego would be my dream location 

No noreasters there.  If you're looking at CT there are some very snowy locations in CT with elevation (like Norfolk) or you can go farther east and catch the late blooming ones but don't go east of about New Haven County or Chester.  The further away from the Sound the better.

5 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

@rclab  Good day Rich, how’d did the “postage stamp” make out?

Good evening, Irish. Akin to my virility this is all thats left. Since it’s my postage stamp I can safely say and frosty agrees, snow pack cancelled. Stay well and warm tonight. As always …

993978BC-1503-4717-B8FB-70DA50E05BB4.jpeg

DB4D63DE-6227-4377-8792-675AE214E9F4.jpeg

3E6E3F97-A488-4A88-9D4F-C6FD1314656B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, uncle W said:

I lived in Wellsville NY for a year when I was four years old...It snowed alot while I was there making me a snow weenie for life...Northeast Pa is the best place to see snow and its only two hours from NYC...

Indeed.  Is there any kind of snowfall map for that area? I always go by Mt Pocono numbers so I say my average is 70 inches per year there but I'm halfway between Allentown and Mt Pocono but about the same elevation as Mt Pocono (around 2200-2300 ft)....Lake Harmony is the closest place that has a WU station.

27 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Indeed.  Is there any kind of snowfall map for that area? I always go by Mt Pocono numbers so I say my average is 70 inches per year there but I'm halfway between Allentown and Mt Pocono but about the same elevation as Mt Pocono (around 2200-2300 ft)....Lake Harmony is the closest place that has a WU station.

I think this map shows a great depiction of what winters are like in PA and where the heaviest snowfall is. I don't really like that the numbers on the legend/scale are so hard to read. But, the map really highlights the microclimates due to elevation and marine influences.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I think this map shows a great depiction of what winters are like in PA and where the heaviest snowfall is. I don't really like that the numbers on the legend/scale are so hard to read. But, the map really highlights the microclimates due to elevation and marine influences.

oh wow this is great-- thanks!  I guess I'm in the 70-75 range because I'm in the pink.  The county lines and highways shown were a great help, although I was surprised there was no Allentown or Mt Pocono listed.  But I got the location figured out without them.  By the way do you happen to have a map like this for NYS too or Long Island?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

oh wow this is great-- thanks!  I guess I'm in the 70-75 range because I'm in the pink.  The county lines and highways shown were a great help, although I was surprised there was no Allentown or Mt Pocono listed.  But I got the location figured out without them.  By the way do you happen to have a map like this for NYS too or Long Island?

Sure! Unfortunately, there are none that I think are very good. None of them do a very good job at depicting all the lake effect snow and elevation microclimates. Buffalo NWS just recently posted this snowfall map for Western NY. It's the closest in showing my area's average of 130 inches. You can see the fantastic amounts that the Tug gets as well!

Average Seasonal Snowfall across Western and Central New York

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Sure! Unfortunately, there are none that I think are very good. None of them do a very good job at depicting all the lake effect snow and elevation microclimates. Buffalo NWS just recently posted this snowfall map for Western NY. It's the closest in showing my area's average of 130 inches. You can see the fantastic amounts that the Tug gets as well!

Average Seasonal Snowfall across Western and Central New York

Well now we know where Ant needs to move to lol

Is there one for Long Island of a similar resolution?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I would love to live there

Imagine tracking snow every week

Omg

Every week? Constantly ;) Lowville is the county seat, last time I was up there they had signs advertising for LEO's for the town, county and at the jail. The peak snowfall areas for the east coast surround that town. You should look into it.