Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter

Rjay

9 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

We welcome everyone in Orange County and you stated our case beautifully. I’ve had only 22 inches of snow this winter so far, which is below normal, yet I’ve had a solid snow cover for 33 straight days and counting. That may end by Friday or Saturday but still a decent run. 

And we still do well on most coastals. Just need inside the benchmark in most cases to jackpot, instead of on or outside it. 

Yes after a 1-2 years living in Ulster County and being on the other side of coastals, Orange County does seem to be the sweet spot in terms of far enough NW to have barely any marine influence and close enough SE to still get hit by storms that track near the BM. 

Similar to the dreaded I287 cutoff with rain/snow line, I84 seems to be the dreaded solid snow vs barely anything line in terms of coastals. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Then those people are morons. No offense.

That societal statement aside, I always hated that NYC and its residents are so detached from the water around them. Perhaps its greatest asset and so little access 

While surrounded by water on LI it's hard to access (during the summer when you most want to) without paying to do so. That drives me nuts. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

While surrounded by water on LI it's hard to access (during the summer when you most want to) without paying to do so. That drives me nuts. 

and we have Robert Moses to blame for a lot  of the way the highways are structured too.

I wish we could build a statue of him somewhere just so we could later tear it down and shatter it to pieces.

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

"upstate NY"

I would argue that north of Tarrytown is upstate lol

The term upstate in NY seems to be used by everyone in the state to refer to the area north of them. I’m in Orange County and in no way do I consider this upstate. Geographically Albany is the middle latitudes of the state. Binghamton is the southern tier of NY. 

Of course since 80% Of the residence live below the Tappanzee Bridge everything above seems to somehow become upstate to most people.

And yes I said the TAPPAN ZEE bridge. Enough said. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

The term upstate in NY seems to be used by everyone in the state to refer to the area north of them. I’m in Orange County and in no way do I consider this upstate. Geographically Albany is the middle latitudes of the state. Binghamton is the southern tier of NY. 

Of course since 80% Of the residence live below the Tappanzee Bridge everything above seems to somehow become upstate to most people.

And yes I said the TAPPAN ZEE bridge. Enough said. 

I dont believe in bridges being named by family members after their deceased family members either.

I think the name is being changed back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

All of the continents are just big islands

it's true....Australia specifically is an island and a continent (island continent)?  But I'd argue against considering the Americas or AfroEurasia that way (I group them together but they are only separated by two artificial canals.)

Australia and Antarctica are island continents though.

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

it's artificially separated

stupid humanity doing dumb things to interfere with nature.

Marble Hill became an island in the Harlem River when it was separated from the island of Manhattan by the construction of the Harlem Ship Canal in 1895. 

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Marble Hill became an island in the Harlem River when it was separated from the island of Manhattan by the construction of the Harlem Ship Canal in 1895.

Aren't you the guy who's always carrying on about geoengineering?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Aren't you the guy who's always carrying on about geoengineering?

lol yea, but it's mostly in jest

it's a way to vent frustration at our climate.  Sort of like how I change ocean/land distribution in Universe Sandbox lol.

One time I dragged the solar system to a different part of the galaxy to see if it would trigger the next ice age.

Stuff to do when a storm busts.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

A good part of lower Manhattan was also created by “stupid humanity”.   

• Thanks 2

The river was moved. It's not the only time or place that has happened. Can you take a boat between the mainland and the island? Yes, therefore it doesn't matter (anymore). Heck, back in the 17th and early 18th centuries you could walk from the Lower East Side to Brooklyn at low tide until it was dredged out. The East River is an estuary not a river so there's another connection that's not a connection anymore. Meh... It's an island. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

The river was moved. It's not the only time or place that has happened. Can you take a boat between the mainland and the island? Yes, therefore it doesn't matter (anymore). Heck, back in the 17th and early 18th centuries you could walk from the Lower East Side to Brooklyn at low tide until it was dredged out. The East River is an estuary not a river so there's another connection that's not a connection anymore. Meh... It's an island. 

So it's an island either way.  Look anything not part of a continent (I mean not directly connected to a continent)- is an island.  The best way to define it right?

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

Wait until you guys hear about the Netherlands.

haha yea, best thing about Holland are their tulips and the way they engineer their crops (food output there is tremendous compared to the size of the country) and their wind power.  I bet they do a lot of geoengineering too.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah, try having to go through the NYC bottleneck to get anywhere off island.  I'll be sucking it up and doing it for the millionth time tomorrow.