Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol that forest looks raked in the canopy.  Deadfall everywhere.

When I first moved there in 1997 there were pines surrounding the yard. Honestly since Nemo their property has been losing trees left and right. Just beyond the row of trees in the center where it looks void of trees, never was like that. Phil took em all down. Most of those trees you see was from Nemo. There was so many my Dad said **** it. 
I was there today cutting an oak and pine that fell onto a neighbors property. I’m pretty sure the forest has surpassed what it can do when they get 70+ mph winds. It’s way overgrown and Phil is helping with that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

When I first moved there in 1997 there were pines surrounding the yard. Honestly since Nemo their property has been losing trees left and right. Just beyond the row of trees in the center where it looks void of trees, never was like that. Phil took em all down. Most of those trees you see was from Nemo. There was so many my Dad said **** it. 
I was there today cutting an oak and pine that fell onto a neighbors property. I’m pretty sure the forest has surpassed what it can do when they get 70+ mph winds. It’s way overgrown and Phil is helping with that.

Take em all down.

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

PF, you picked up the holes well. Nicely done.

What else is there to see when evaluating an environment?  A place's vegetation shows a lot about it's recent history.  That shows some decent storms there that might have been decades in return time.  Holes getting dug in mature woods by velocity out of the low level jet, takes some force to do that on a regular basis.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What else is there to see when evaluating an environment?  A place's vegetation shows a lot about it's recent history.  That shows some decent storms there that might have been decades in return time.  Holes getting hit in mature woods, takes some force to do that on a regular basis.

I’m impressed. For someone who doesn’t know the area, you picked it out. In the image that is center.  Just past few that  first rows of trees...there used to be maples, pines etc. They are gone and once a couple of trees fell, it made room for more. Like I said....almost like once a few trees fell or made room for more.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I have noticed a domino effect. Like when you lose a few trees that other trees used to hit or depend on to stop them from swaying, they snap. That’s definitely happened. 

Wind throw on the forest edge. I have lost at least a couple dozen trees on my property in the last 10 years.