Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,894
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Mikessword
    Newest Member
    Mikessword
    Joined

Met Summer Banter


 Share

Recommended Posts

My haircut person retired so went to someone on a recommendation. As well as not being vaccinated she spent more time lecturing me on the merits of hydroxychloroquine than cutting my hair. She said most of her clients are older so figures she's safe dealing with mostly vaccinated folks. WTF

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, hammerz_nailz said:

My haircut person retired so went to someone on a recommendation. As well as not being vaccinated she spent more time lecturing me on the merits of hydroxychloroquine than cutting my hair. She said most of her clients are older so figures she's safe dealing with mostly vaccinated folks. WTF

It’s like the old days...barbers were the surgeons 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, hammerz_nailz said:

My haircut person retired so went to someone on a recommendation. As well as not being vaccinated she spent more time lecturing me on the merits of hydroxychloroquine than cutting my hair. She said most of her clients are older so figures she's safe dealing with mostly vaccinated folks. WTF

Dumb and dumber

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I'm worried about Phin's well-being.  He's distraught over the CDC altering it's guidance on public health matters. 

That “guidance” destroyed hundreds of thousands of livelihoods and mental states over the last 18 months. Seems kinda ridiculous to just act like this is the same as the CDC saying to grill steaks well done. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

That “guidance” destroyed hundreds of thousands of livelihoods and mental states over the last 18 months. Seems kinda ridiculous to just act like this is the same as the CDC saying to grill steaks well done. 

I get it.  You were willing to risk people lives in the here and now and keep the status rather than try to mitigate that.  That guidance saved countless lives by mitigating the spread of an unknown commodity.  We're still figuring out the virus day-to-day.  I have no issue with the CDC updating guidance as the science evolves.

Seems kind of ridiculous to have done nothing and let the virus just run it's course.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

 That guidance saved countless lives by mitigating the spread of an unknown commodity. 

Debatable. Countries that have good to great mask and "mitigation" compliance see the same kind of spikes. If masking shows a 1.5% decrease in cases, which their own CDC publication says (within the margin of error by the way) is it worth the consternation it causes? If so, people who want that 1.5% change must be for 25 mile per hour speed limits because we know speed kills. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Looks like Simon Biles had a bit of a melt?

I thought I heard she got injured, but later story said she needs to take care of her mental health first and foremost. Apparently too much pressure for her. If she were an employee, I'd fire her. IMO, she made an excuse because she wasn't beating her competitors point-wise.

  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I thought I heard she got injured, but later story said she needs to take care of her mental health first and foremost. Apparently too much pressure for her. If she were an employee, I'd fire her. IMO, she made an excuse because she wasn't beating her competitors point-wise.

The hype around her was absurd. Interviewers asking her if it was even possible to beat her. She is very old for a gymnast. Team USA in general seems like kind of a mess, honestly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I thought I heard she got injured, but later story said she needs to take care of her mental health first and foremost. Apparently too much pressure for her. If she were an employee, I'd fire her.

 

Her professional resume speaks for itself. she good.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I'm worried about Phin's well-being.  He's distraught over the CDC altering it's guidance on public health matters. 

It’s garbage guidance But it’s generally because they are not going to Trust unvaxxed folks to mask up so they do a blanket statement 

The overwhelming majority of Transmission is from unvaccinated people , that is the data , it makes no scientific sense to set the bar at zero transmission...so saying bc vaccinated people can spread the virus (but haven’t to a significant degree) that vaxxed  are back wearing masks is nonsense scientifically  . But making everyone wear masks is only way to make people who are more likely to spread it to slow transmission , thou it will still spread . That is what they are * really saying *
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^ I would counter that with this...what makes more logical sense to you?

'A new way to visualize the surge in Covid-19 cases in the U.S.' (ie, the rate of acceleration of cases)
https://www.statnews.com/2021/07/26/new-way-visualize-covid-19-case-surge-us/

New cases in states like LA & AR are growing even faster than last winter's 3rd wave. But looking at MA, which has had a 351% increase in cases over the last 14 days, one of the highest such percentage changes in the nation, case acceleration paints a different picture (see graphs in article).

The Stat article didn't post graphs for every state. But if MA is any example, the higher immunized states do not seem to be on track for another big peak. Let's hope. I say immunized and not vaccinated because SD, which has one of the highest total infection rates per capita, is still doing as remarkably well as VT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Debatable. Countries that have good to great mask and "mitigation" compliance see the same kind of spikes. If masking shows a 1.5% decrease in cases, which their own CDC publication says (within the margin of error by the way) is it worth the consternation it causes? If so, people who want that 1.5% change must be for 25 mile per hour speed limits because we know speed kills. 

 

Not debatable.  We're not talking exclusively about masking.  We're talking about the social distancing, lockdowns, capacity restrictions, etc... that were put in place.  All those coupled together worked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

yeah, i was a bit harsh, but despite the enormous pressure on her, she should still finish the competition out unless she is genuinely injured (physically).

Simone* is amazing and clearly needed a break last minute. She doesn't owe anyone shit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, White Rain said:

This is interesting. 

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2021/07/26/covid-vaccination-california-counties/

“A new analysis finds several counties with above-average vaccination rates also have higher COVID case rates, while case rates are falling in counties with below-average vaccination rates.”

There's your casedemic. Low viral load in a vaccinated person can lead to a positive test result because Delta variant also resides more in the nasal cavities.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Baroclinic Zonenails it, casedemic. As long as asymptomatic people are being regularly tested (which they are), we will continue to see case #s rise. what truly should matter is hospitalizations. as of yesterday, there were 23 in NH, even though cases continue to rise. I am reasonably sure that the 30 reporting hospitals can handle that number of people being treated. I am having trouble finding the peak # of hospitalizations in the state, but it was over 200 IIRC.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Not debatable.  We're not talking exclusively about masking.  We're talking about the social distancing, lockdowns, capacity restrictions, etc... that were put in place.  All those coupled together worked.

The last two pages is almost exclusively about masking and if the data shows it decreases case loads 1.5% , which I thought it would be much More ...then what is the point .

Other than a CYA recommendation by CDC and more of a psychological boost than a scientific /data Driven point . Seems it’s just like a “we can’t do much , so I guess we will do this , if you polled the Mask wearing public I would guess they believe it provides very good protection. It’s not easy to find data on how much masking helps .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...