Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,788
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    johnduzzee
    Newest Member
    johnduzzee
    Joined

May 2021 General Discussion


Hoosier
 Share

Recommended Posts

Temp currently in the mid 40s here with mostly clear skies.  Just have to lose the wind which we are starting to do.  Could maintain a very gentle onshore flow through the night, but I don't think it will be strong enough to have a noticeable impact here.  

I think most models are too warm.  I'll go with a low of 30 imby but would not be shocked at a brief dip into the upper 20s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I think I had one around May 20, 2002.  Can't remember the exact date.

Probably accurate. Pittsburgh hit freezing on the 19th, 21st, and 22nd that year (only that late or later in 1963 and 1956, which I didn’t experience).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Down to 32 here and also at MLI.  Over in LOT it's 27 in Sugar Grove with several upper 20s around.  Looks like a freeze warning was warranted.  Hopefully folks covered up their plants anyway with the frost advisories being issued etc.  

Looks like Mon and Tue may be as cold in some areas. 

I went back and looked at the weather station data.  Didn't have any freezes after April 30th from 2016-2019, last year we had 1.  This May we could have 3. :facepalm:

EDIT:  Now also looks like Wed morning also has freeze potential.  4 freezes in May?  Wow

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a low of 30 here, with 29 a bit to my west at IGQ.  Big gradient in low temps between here and GYY, the latter of which being so close to the lake and maintaining light onshore flow through the night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Down to 32 here and also at MLI.  Over in LOT it's 27 in Sugar Grove with several upper 20s around.  Looks like a freeze warning was warranted.  Hopefully folks covered up their plants anyway with the frost advisories being issued etc.  

Looks like Mon and Tue may be as cold in some areas. 

I went back and looked at the weather station data.  Didn't have any freezes after April 30th from 2016-2019, last year we had 1.  This May we could have 3. :facepalm:

EDIT:  Now also looks like Wed morning also has freeze potential.  4 freezes in May?  Wow

I am guessing the core of the cold missed you last may? Being in a more rural area I would have thought you had more than one freeze last May.

The low temps at Detroit last May

5/05: 39

5/06: 38

5/07: 38

5/08: 31

5/09: 27

5/10: 33

5/11: 34

5/12: 34

5/13: 32

These temps were kept up a little not only due to UHI but also clouds and snow flurries kept temperatures up a few of those nights.

 

The DTX nws office in White Lake IS in a rural area, and their lows for that stretch were:

5/05: 33

5/06: 31

5/07: 34

5/08: 26

5/09: 25

5/10: 31

5/11: 28

5/12: 25

5/13: 24

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Had a low of 30 here, with 29 a bit to my west at IGQ.  Big gradient in low temps between here and GYY, the latter of which being so close to the lake and maintaining light onshore flow through the night.

FEP dropped to 27, DKB 31, JOT 33, RFD 34.  It's maddening that even RFD has noticeable UHI now.  

Low of 34 here in what I'd call the "moderate UHI" area of SW Lake County IL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

FEP dropped to 27, DKB 31, JOT 33, RFD 34.  It's maddening that even RFD has noticeable UHI now.  

Low of 34 here in what I'd call the "moderate UHI" area of SW Lake County IL.

I'll add a couple more... ARR 26, DPA 30.

Some of those interior places of northern IL really radiate well.  I'm not exactly radiating capital USA here, but temps last night were colder aloft the farther east you go which probably explains why I was able to get within a few degrees of the prime radiating locations in northern IL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Temps over performing nicely here today. Cracked 60 with full sun, actually a solid day. 

yup. Not a bad evening. Based on forecasts today was thinking this was  going to be a nightmare for early May. Ended up with a fire on the patio as the winds faded and the sun shone brightly.  Nice surprise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After Washout Week over this past week, only reached 48 degrees on this Mother's Day, several degrees above the record low maximum temp while CVG reached 66 degrees and CMH reached a midnight high of 51 degrees. :axe: Certainly the coldest high temperature we'll get for this month. Third overcast and rainy Mother's Day in a row. Want to bank on Mother's Day getting more worse for a 4th year in a row next year?

With today's rainfall and not even reaching the middle of May yet, DAY already has 3.25" of rainfall so far this month. Hope it isn't a sign that we go for one of the top 10 wettest Mays on record.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Tropical Tidbits removed the HRW-NNM and replaced it with the FV3 hi-res.  Wonder if it's the same model with a fancy new name?

NCEP has replaced the WRF-NMM model with a high-resolution FV3 model (3km) for the CONUS, with GFS-like physics.

 

get hyped

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

NCEP has replaced the WRF-NMM model with a high-resolution FV3 model (3km) for the CONUS, with GFS-like physics.

 

get hyped

Model developers: “how can we make our new model sound as incredible as possible?”

PR person: “say GFS-like physics”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...