Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

6 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The sprinkles and showers are once again expanding across my area this morning.  I like the warmth, but this pattern needs to end asap.

I have become quite accustomed to the Cape Coral lifestyle lately. Another day of 88-90 degrees, first top popped by 9am in the pool, afternoon siesta, more floating and drinking until sunset. Going to be a real slap in the face to return to the land of dry, cloudy, cool, and boring. 

5F9067D8-2D6A-4712-BDBF-4C72B246E71B.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

This March-May stretch has been a mind-blowingly boring stretch of weather and we're some of the lucky ones who actually got some rain.  Hopefully something interesting happens in June, or July.

Spring, henceforth known as "the season I used to look forward to because of its active weather."

• Like 1

It was suppose to be around 20ºC this morning and very uncharacteristically stable with the high later rising another 1C. Instead of party sunny and 20, it was overcast and dropping earlier 0.5C every 20 minutes!! :arrowhead: It literally got down to 14C. What in the fresh hell is this?

Sun is coming out a bit now and temp rising again to 17C. Why can't something freaky like that drop happen in reverse, so 26C? Reminds me of a certain year.

8 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

This March-May stretch has been a mind-blowingly boring stretch of weather and we're some of the lucky ones who actually got some rain.  Hopefully something interesting happens in June, or July.

Well, at least you have a chance of being in the warm sector later on this week.  For me its ****ing over after Tuesday night.  Models not showing much QPF so it will probably go through with no fanfare.  :sleepy:Then its back to stuck north of the front with a northeast breeze like 90% of this goddamn spring.  :axe:

The first partly sunny day in over a week allowed our temp to reach about 80º.  The instability then led to pop-up cells, with the strongest cell moving directly over my yard.  I picked up a quick 0.97" of rain.  There was very little thunder, but it was the first since April.

38 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The first partly sunny day in over a week allowed our temp to reach about 80º.  The instability then led to pop-up cells, with the strongest cell moving directly over my yard.  I picked up a quick 0.97" of rain.  There was very little thunder, but it was the first since April.

Probably the top 1 or 2 event for any member in this sub so far this spring, congrats! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting last couple days. Saturday had a high of 81, then shwrs/stms (0.88") Sat night. Sunday I had a whopping high of 41! A mere 50 so far today. Tomorrow looks like it's back to around 80 for a day. Lilacs are starting to bloom already. That's ahead of normal for me by at least couple weeks. Life next to Lake Superior is what it is. :) 

45 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Interesting last couple days. Saturday had a high of 81, then shwrs/stms (0.88") Sat night. Sunday I had a whopping high of 41! A mere 50 so far today. Tomorrow looks like it's back to around 80 for a day. Lilacs are starting to bloom already. That's ahead of normal for me by at least couple weeks. Life next to Lake Superior is what it is. :) 

Are you making the thread for the late week northern MN/WI/MI snow potential? :lol:

40 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

88 at ORD.  Not sure if there is enough gas in the tank to get to 90.  Airmass aloft is marginal for 90 but mixing is pretty deep today.

There are some 90 degree readings on the 5 min obs, but not sure if it's a real 90 or a rounded one.

2 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Are you making the thread for the late week northern MN/WI/MI snow potential? :lol:

LOL. Kind of disgusting that the models are showing that, but some rn/sn mix or maybe a brief turn over to snow in the early a.m. Friday is possible away from the Lake. Possible frost advisories are being mentioned, too, for Sat a.m.. But that's not unusual. We can have frost up to mid June, like last year.

EDIT: BTW the latest measurable snowfall in Duluth above a trace is the 28th (0.4" 1965). The day prior on the 27th had 2.0" in 1932. So we shall see if the 28th bears fruit.

12 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

ORD did reach 90 for the first time this year.  Coincidentally, the first 90 last year was also on May 24.

Gonna be awhile before we get our first 90.  Ground is relatively wet out this way which cuts down on max heating potential, and no heat is in the forecast as well.  Looking pretty chilly later this week with some cold rains Thu into Fri.

Speaking of late snows, I just came across this from Grand Portage, MN. It's in the NE corner of NE MN just south of the Canadian border. July 3rd-12th

9.0" 7/3/1897

8.9"  7/4/1897

5.8" 7/5/1897

2.1" 7/6/1897

2.2" 7/7/1897

12.1" 7/8/1897

6.5" 7/9/1897

0.1" 7/10/1897

1.5" 7/11/1897

0.2" 7/12/1897

That's insane! LOL!!

35 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Speaking of late snows, I just came across this from Grand Portage, MN. It's in the NE corner of NE MN just south of the Canadian border. July 3rd-12th

9.0" 7/3/1897

8.9"  7/4/1897

5.8" 7/5/1897

2.1" 7/6/1897

2.2" 7/7/1897

12.1" 7/8/1897

6.5" 7/9/1897

0.1" 7/10/1897

1.5" 7/11/1897

0.2" 7/12/1897

That's insane! LOL!!

I think this is an urban legend.  Besides how insane that would be (just seems to defy any logic)...I can't find any evidence of this occurring.  Not that wikipedia is gospel, but the page below shows that MN's latest measurable snow is June 4th (1935)...and earliest measurable is September 14th (1964).  No measurable snow has ever occurred in July & August.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_weather_records

Plus, this page indicates the all-time record low for Grand Portage in July is 38F:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Portage,_Minnesota

44 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

I think this is an urban legend.  Besides how insane that would be (just seems to defy any logic)...I can't find any evidence of this occurring.  Not that wikipedia is gospel, but the page below shows that MN's latest measurable snow is June 4th (1935)...and earliest measurable is September 14th (1964).  No measurable snow has ever occurred in July & August.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_weather_records

Plus, this page indicates the all-time record low for Grand Portage in July is 38F:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Portage,_Minnesota

It's in the NOWdata at the NWS Duluth site.  Grand Portage:Calendar summaries: Snowfall: Daily max

https://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=dlh

EDIT: Cli-mate MRCC also has that data. Just looked it up there. But the temps were logged as no cooler than 40, so someone made a huge typo. LOL

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

ORD did reach 90 for the first time this year.  Coincidentally, the first 90 last year was also on May 24.

Was looking into this... for Chicago, it's only the 2nd time that the first 90 degree high came on the same day in back to back years.  The other time was June 10 in 2015/2016.  It took over 140 years of temperature records to happen for the first time, and now it's happened twice in less than a decade.

4 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

I've already reached 30ºC or 86F and its not even noon yet. This is far beyond the forecast high from yesterday, hopefully the same over-performing for Thurs.

Opposite here.  Busting low due to a band of clouds and worthless sprinkles. Knocked off 4 degrees from the 11 AM high temp of 85.  Sitting at 81 now.  It could recover a little before sunset, but probably not much as it isn't completely sunny anywhere upstream.  Just hope there's enough instability left late tonight for at least a shower.